Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

Changing cruise dates to avoid hurricane season...

Hello Everyone!

Since last night I have been completely consumed by the news of the Fantasy going through a very rough night at sea on Friday.

To be completely honest, it has put a lot of fear in me about the cruise I have booked for early next October (we also didn't purchase cruise insurance because we are relatively new to this process..and after reading the threads I now feel very foolish about that . But hey, that's what the boards are for right!?)

I have a lot of faith in Disney and their decisions, and I am sure there is much more that went into their choice to head back to port on Friday than we all know. However, I know that from the videos I've watched and what I have been reading that I would have been scared out of my mind and probably would never cruise again if I experienced that adventure on Friday. I would like to try to avoid having the cruise experience become one that surfaces fear in me.

I tried to go to the Disney Cruise Line website to see what I can do about possibly changing my cruising date, and If that is out of the option than at least acquiring cruise insurance. If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price.

I would appreciate any advice or wisdom on switching cruise dates, acquiring cruise insurance or more information on traveling during hurricane season. I would normally try to look for myself on the site, but I always value the information I get on the boards and since the site is currently down I thought I would ask you! Thanks!

CorEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEeyore View Post
Hello Everyone!

Since last night I have been completely consumed by the news of the Fantasy going through a very rough night at sea on Friday.

To be completely honest, it has put a lot of fear in me about the cruise I have booked for early next October (we also didn't purchase cruise insurance because we are relatively new to this process..and after reading the threads I now feel very foolish about that . But hey, that's what the boards are for right!?)

I have a lot of faith in Disney and their decisions, and I am sure there is much more that went into their choice to head back to port on Friday than we all know. However, I know that from the videos I've watched and what I have been reading that I would have been scared out of my mind and probably would never cruise again if I experienced that adventure on Friday. I would like to try to avoid having the cruise experience become one that surfaces fear in me.

I tried to go to the Disney Cruise Line website to see what I can do about possibly changing my cruising date, and If that is out of the option than at least acquiring cruise insurance. If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price.

I would appreciate any advice or wisdom on switching cruise dates, acquiring cruise insurance or more information on traveling during hurricane season. I would normally try to look for myself on the site, but I always value the information I get on the boards and since the site is currently down I thought I would ask you! Thanks!
First, you can still purchase trip insurance now. Second, Hurricane season starts on June 1, and goes until Nov 30, so you will still be in season.

We have only ever sailed during hurricane season. We have sailed 3X's in August, 1X in September and 1X in early December... I have to say that Dec was when we had some rough seas.

If you are so concerned, just make sure your insurance covers cancelling for the reasons you want to cancel.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price.
I understand your trepidation, but honestly, you are just as likely to encounter a storm during that time as your original dates. That being said, it isn't all *that* likely. I do think that insurance is a must.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Statistically the highest possibility of a major storm is from August to October. That said, you can run into bad weather or storms any time of year.

You can still get insurance, maybe not through DCL, but you can still get it. You may even be able to get "cancel for any reason". Check ***************** and tripinsurancestore.com. NEVER cruise without travel insurance. We didn't know our first cruise, either.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We have done probably 10 cruises during prime "hurricane season." In two cases, our cruise was seriously impacted by weather. The worst was when our cruise that was scheduled to depart on Saturday from PC actually left on early Tuesday morning from Ft. Lauderdale. The less impact was an alternative port, and the least was some rough seas (not to the level of this week). Another was a missed port which became a sea day.

Would I do it again--absolutely. I love the September water temperature (which is part of what fuels the hurricane!), and the price is certainly right. Do I know that stuff happens? Yes, but it happens in other ways also. If I cruise in January or Feb., I get to Orlando early because I could get snowed in.

You take a level of risk in any decision you make. And the bottom line is that the ship and all passengers got back to PC safely. Yes. some are still in Florida awaiting flights home, but they are on land at WDW. Inconvenient perhaps, but hardly a miserable situation. This is not intended to minimize any physical or emotional issues that passengers experienced on Saturday...but I'd do it if the dates worked for me.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Since your cruise is practically a year away, unless you booked concierge, your cruise should be fully refundable at this point. You can easily cancel your cruise and book a new one.

It's not too late to buy trip insurance (especially for trip interruption coverage). It's just likely too late to get "Cancel for any Reason" coverage, or a pre-existing condition waiver (for most policies, but not all). Talk to DCL about when you want to change your cruise to (or if you used a Travel Agent, talk to your TA). Then call www.***************** or www.tripinsurancestore.com, and see what policy works best for you.

You need to be happy & comfortable with your vacation choice. Otherwise, it's hardly what I'd call a vacation!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
nhgirl
Mouseketeer

I booked my cruise for July last year. I got a little nervous because there were tropical storms and such down in Florida as early as end of May. I thought for sure we would have a hurricane since there was a lot of activity early in the season. We had a really good cruise. Very smooth for the most part. I guess you never know what you're going to get.
nhgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran

Just because the hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov 30 doesn't mean that their can't be a hurricane outside those dates. We moved to Florida last year and there was an unnamed 'tropical depression' in May that probably would have been a hurricane if it hit 2 weeks later. Although I only live 2 hours north of Port Canaveral, the weather was beautiful here last week.

It's weather. No guarantees.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Insurance, insurance, insurance. There are a couple companies that do offer pre-existing waiver, until PIF date [CSA]. A little more $$, but not super pricey.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We have a 7 night Fantasy booked for the third week of October next year and don't plan on changing. Our honeymoon was the Hurricane Frances shortened cruise in 2004, our second cruise went from an eastern to a western because of Hurricanes Rita and Phillipe in 2005. We will continue to cruise in the fall because it's a good time for us.

My in-laws have been vacationing in the same place on the Atlantic coast of Florida since 1981. They go the same two weeks of August and have been affected by hurricanes only twice. They left a day early for Andrew and rode out Tropical Storm Fay. Hurricane Frances would have affected them, they had already chosen not to go because our wedding.

They haven't let the risk hurricanes deter them from their beach vacations and we don't let hurricanes deter us from cruising during hurricane season.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
dvc deernut
DIS Veteran

all but 2 of our cruise on dcl have been in sept or oct. Great prices never a storm. Last year we had high winds leaving port in dec. So you never know. We still will book in oct and sept. You can get bad weather anytime.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

I beleive you can buy the vacation protection from DCL up until your PIF date. If you cancel for a non-covered reason, you get your cruise fare (but not the insurance cost) as a credit towards a future crusie. That means that if as you date approaches, you have ANY concerns about the weather, you can cancel and rebook at a later time.

I would note that this insurance would have been very helpful for those on the 10/25 Dream, but maybe not so helpful for those on the 10/20 Fantasy. At the time the Fantasy sailed, I think the storm was merely Tropical Depression #18 and not the monster Hurricane Sandy that it became. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
... If we switch dates we are looking at late July or early August, if we can get a similar price. ....
You are not going to find prices in the middle of summer that you get in September or October on DCL. Even though it is still hurricane season, it is also prime vacation time so the prices reflect that. Expect 150-200% of what you will see in the off season months...especially if you are looking at summer 2013 which was released about a year ago.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

You could always cruise to Alaska in late August / early September. No chance of a hurricane there.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

hurricane season starts in july (and goes through november).

our first experience in a hurricane in florida was our trip in July, 1995.
and a few years back, during our trip in early august, we encountered 3 different hurricanes all in the course of one week.

so i don't think you can be assured of avoiding a hurricane just by switching to july/august....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: