Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 11th and 12th, 2012

January 11th started way early at 5:30 and was a long day consisting of checking into the program:

Picking roommates (we did this ahead of time), getting an apartment (we got my first choice, our collective second choice of a 3BR in Patterson Court). Lots of paperwork. Off to casting for more paperwork, getting assignments, them not having my assignment, confusion ensuing, more paperwork, and finally a photopass pictures.

Then it was time to move into our apartment, get that all organized, go to long boring housing meeting, learn the hard way that you ABSOLUTELY MUST have your housing ID on you at all times. We went to dinner at Golden Corral, which was yummy and cheap. I believe we also went to WalMart that night, and called it a night pretty early.

On January 12th, we hung around the apartment, then Marissa, Jessica, and I went to Target. (BTW, my roommates were Casey, Marissa, Jessica, Courtney, and Christina.) When we got back, Courtney and Christina were in the living room with five of the guys from next door. We all decided to go out to dinner, so we piled into cars and headed for Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney. It was really busy so we kind of ate in shifts. We put four tables and eleven tables together on the patio, then Casey, Chrisiina, Marissa, A.J., Will, and I went in to order. The line moved fairly quickly. I chose my old standby of "The Original 1762", plus grabbed a triple chocolate brownie (I wanted a brownie cream sandwich, but I didn't see them until it was too late. I also took a chance on the Earl's Grey Lemonade. I was a little disappointed in it. I prefer mixed iced tea and lemonade. This was like legitimate tea that had been chilled and mixed with lemonade, and the tea flavor was very strong.

It was so nice to just sit and chat while listening to the Disney music being piped in, watching and listening to the carousel, and admiring the twinkling trees. I came to really admire Downtown Disney after dark this evening.

After we finished eating we began walking around. We wandered through the Marketplace and I took a picture of my favorite new Lego sculpture. It;s the dwarfs at their mine!

We also continued through Pleasure Island and caught bits of all the live music that was happening. So much fun to just dance and sing while walking along with the crowds!Near Raglan Road there was an Irish dancer who had invited a little girl up to dance with her. Continuing on we wandered through the West Side and stopped in the Candy Cauldron and the Cirque du Soleil Store, where Zack and John tried to juggle and play with the spinning disks. Not terribly successful. Heading back the way we came, the ladies made a bathroom stop and came out to a live band playing "DJ Got Us Falling In Love Again" so we sang and danced our way from that to T-Rex where we looked in the store.

Hahaha to that last one. Final stop was World of Disney. We encountered a CP who was almost done with her program and she took our picture.

Front: Courtney
Middle: A.J., Me, John, Jessica, Marissa
Top: Justin, Will, Zack, Casey, Christina

We explored the store and of course kind of got separated, but eventually caught up to each other. We came back and hung out for a little bit and discovered that while several of us had the morning traditions class, Jessica and I were going to be in the same one because we had the same "code" on our stickers. Good thing about having it in the morning class is that we were free to go to the parks in the afternoon. Sadly enough, we never really hung out with those boys again.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Good thing you got along with your roommates.

seemed like a fun night DTD.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Good thing you got along with your roommates.

seemed like a fun night DTD.
We got along in the beginning, but by the end our relationships weren't so good, unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 13th, 2012

Courtney, Jessica, and I had Traditions in the morning and we were planning to go to MK that afternoon now that we were Cast Members! Well, there were these girls across the hall and the boys next door. Only one of the boys had gone to Traditions that morning, everyone else was in the afternoon. So these girls and this boy decide they're leaving right now so we hurried to finish getting ready and meet them at the bus stop. The bus came, dropped us off in the TTC parking lot and I led the way to the express monorail. Before we knew it, Monorail Peach pulled up and we were on our way.

Upon entering the turnstiles there was some confusion with our CM IDs, because they had just been issued that morning so they weren't working yet. We showed them additional photo ID and went on our way. So, this was one of the other girls' first time to MK. That's all fine and dandy, but they wanted to stop and dawdle and take pictures of everything. Jessica and I were a little frustrated, so we suggested going to get FPs for Space Mountain. After a few more pictures they agreed.

We managed to get them over to Space and get FPs for 5:40pm-6:40pm. I suggested Buzz Lightyear next, so we walked over there. It was a 35 minute wait, and I go to get in line only to find that they've all stopped at 5 feet behind me because "the line is too long". So Jessica suggests the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. I'd never been there before, so I agreed. It was really pretty cute, even if the jokes were terrible. The people chosen by the camera really hammed it up!
After Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, we backtracked to Buzz. It said the wait was 25 minutes but we got in line anyway. As we walked in the line really moved pretty quickly and it was not a 25 minute wait at all. I rode with Jessica, and she won.

Upon exiting Buzz, the other girls kind of wandered into line to meet Buzz Lightyear, so Jessica and I said our goodbyes for now and headed for Splash Mountain. As we walked over we saw the closed Big Thunder Mountain and I said something about it. A mom overheard me and was glad she did, as that's where they were headed and would have been really disappointed when they got there.

We approached Splash and saw that the wait was only five minutes. We rushed over, me putting my poncho on along the way, and walked on the ride. The logs were really backed up at points which was kind of annoying, and they made an announcement about it like every three minutes. Thankfully, the water sprays were turned down since it was so cold, so we didn't get terribly wet.

After our fall through the Briar Patch, I decided I wanted a Mickey pretzel from Frontierland. I did manage to find the stand, and then experienced some major sticker shock when the total was $8.50 for the pretzel, some cheese sauce, and a Sprite. The pretzel was very good but the cheese sauce was just okay.

I saw this shirt next to the pretzel stand and since turkey legs were a running joke between me and my housemates during Fall 2011 I had to take a picture.

Continuing on to Liberty Square, our next destination was the Haunted Mansion. I had to finish my pretzel first, so we sat on a wall by Columbia Harbour House and Jessica called her Mom. We agreed to meet up with our "friends" again at 6pm and got in line. Once again, we virtually walked on, only waiting one stretch room cycle. The hitch-hiking ghost part was the best one yet, taking my face and putting it on Jessica's head and vice versa.

We decided not to make final arrangements at the end of the tour, so we headed out. We got a text saying that our friends had just gotten in line for the Haunted Mansion, so Jessica and I browsed in some shops by the castle, then stopped so Jessica could get coffee at Cheshire Cafe. Finally we headed back to Tomorrowland and waited for the other people to come over. When they showed up, we entered the FP line and once again barely waited for it. I don't understand why more people don't use FP.

Space was fun for about a minute and then it just spiraled too fast for me and I was getting pushed down in my seat. My phone actually got pushed out of my pocket-thankfully not out of the rocket. When we got off I felt a little nauseous. Definitely worse than I remember (and I remember it being bad) and I wasn't going to try again anytime soon. This is a pretty good redneck ride photo. I knew the picture was coming, so I made sure to smile.

We all walked outside and Courtney mentioned to the other girls that a request was made for food (by Jess). We said something about going to Adventureland...but the girls started to wander towards Fantasyland. The following conversation took place:
Me: Where are they going?!
Jess: I don't know. Where are you going?
Girl: To Fantasyland.
Jess:For what?
Girl: To ride the rides.
Jess: What rides?
Girl: I don't know.

Yeah, that was pretty much our night. We convinced them to come to Adventureland with us, and on the way across the Hub I took some pictures of the castle and Main Street.

Finally we made it to Jungle Cruise and walked right on. We had a new skipper, probably a CP, "earning his ears". There were about 5 other CMs in the boat as well, observing him.

Next we wanted to go on Pirates so we went over there. The wait said 10 minutes so we went on in, and yet again, there was pretty much no wait! One of the girls legitimately thought the Audio-Animatronic Jack Sparrow was an actual person. Jess and I were crashing fast-we had been up since 5am or so with pretty much no break. We made the decision to head out around 7:15, since the fireworks were at 8 and we had to go back to the TTC. But first we made a stop at the Main Street Confectionery. I got a piece of chocolate fudge with M&Ms and nuts, and Jess got an M&M Mickey rice crispie on a stick. I also saw these awesome goodies:

Yes, that's right folks, rice crispies decorated like turkey legs.

We walked out shortly after 7:30 and took the resort monorail (Monorail Gold) since the express monorail had just left. Thankfully there were seats available. There was the cutest little girl, maybe a year old, in a stroller in our car and she waved and pointed and gurgled at us for the whole ride. Once we got off the monorail we had to find our way back to the bus.We didn't have a schedule, didn't know exactly where to wait, only that it would pick us up at slot 47 in the bus parking lot. But wait, there's a bus information booth! The CM working there told us to go wait by the orange cones in the parking lot. As it turns out, this is the waiting area for all the buses in that lot, but our bus pulled up only minutes after we arrived.

After the TTC stop, the bus heads backstage to pick up CMs getting off work. We picked up one girl who extended her program and switched from Custodial to Merchandise. She was really nice and we had a nice chat. Much to our surprise and delight, Wishes started going just after we got on the bus and we had an awesome view-since we were backstage, the fireworks were literally right over us. It was amazing.

45 minutes later we arrived back at Chatham and walked back to Patterson. I took a picture of my fudge.

We went to bed around 11:30 which was kind of bad since I had to get up at 5:30 again the next morning, and my roommate had to get up at 4:45 or so. The next morning I had training!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

Hi there

I am tagging along as well - great report so far and looking forward to the rest

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebookworm9 View Post
We got along in the beginning, but by the end our relationships weren't so good, unfortunately.
That is too bad.

Sounds like a mix day at MK but with fun winning. Nice you got to see the fireworks from backstage on the bus.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 15th, 2012 Part 1

Sunday morning I woke up shortly before 9am. The thought of "Get to the parks early" is so ingrained in my head that I was going "I'm not going to make rope drop!" Two of my roommates were at work already and one had gone home for the day, but the other two were still asleep. So I decided to be productive. I cleaned my room, put away the clean dishes, did my laundry, and got our missing kitchen supplies (forks!) from the clubhouse. I also took a bunch of pictures of the apartment and complex.

This is the view immediately inside the front door.

The living room.

More of the living room. The door on the left goes to one of the bedrooms.

More living room. Door on the right is another bedroom.

The balcony, with the chairs we got on clearance from Target.

Looking back at the living room from the balcony.

Pictures of the kitchen.

The door straight ahead went to my bedroom.

My room.

The walk in closet.

Bathroom.

The view from our window.

Laundry building in the parking lot.

Our building.

Stairway up to our apartment.

Pool area and clubhouse. Our building is the one on the left.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 15th, 2012 Part 2

After my laundry was all set, Marissa and I headed out to Animal Kingdom. We got there with no problem and arrived around 1:15. As we parked in the GIRAFFE section, I realized that I would get to ride the tram for the first time!

About 10 minutes later we were walking up to the entrance!

We didn't have to show our photo ID in addition to our CM ID this time, because our finger scans were attached by now. We breezed through the Oasis and stopped to check the times board. Kilimanjaro Safaris had an hour wait, so I took the IDs and went to get FPs while Marissa browsed in Island Mercantile to look for lanyard. Oh my gosh, Africa was nuts. People were just everywhere. I heard several people say, "The safari only has an hour wait, that's not bad". Huh? But I procured the Fastpasses and headed back to Discovery Island.

I was hungry and Marissa was too. I really wanted to try Flame Tree Barbecue, and she had never eaten there either so that's where we went. I was debating between the rib platter or the fruit plate, but since it was kind of a cool day I decided against the fruit. But then I couldn't decide between the ribs or the pulled pork sandwich and was literally choosing up until the second I opened my mouth to order and said I wanted the sandwich. I also ordered the key lime mousse. Since AK has so few TS restaurants, we get our 20% food discount at the CS locations there, which was nice.

My food was ready a bit before Marissa's, so I waited for her and then we went to find a seat. I knew there were pavilion that looked towards Everest so we wandered until we found one. This was our view.

The sandwich was really good. The condiment station in our pavilion was out of normal BBQ sauce, so I went (a little hesitantly) with the Sweet & Spicy variety. It was fine! Just a hint of spicy. The coleslaw it came with was very good as well. The Key Lime Mousse was very good as well. The candied lime on top was good, and I liked the creamy and graham cracker layers. It was the greenish gel on top that I didn't really care for; just a weird texture and consistency.

A shot of the Tree of Life on our way to Camp Minnie-Mickey. Right as we neared the tip board, I saw that Flik was meeting in a pavilion right next to us! I'd never met him, so we jumped in line, and the Character Attendant declared us the last group of the day and then closed the line. Not too much later, it was our turn to meet him!

We then continued on to Camp Minnie-Mickey and as we entered I saw a small group of people in line for something, and a Photopass Photographer that appeared to be shooting at the trees. As we rounded the bend a bit, I saw that it was Pocahontas and the line wasn't long at all-another character I hadn't met.

As we turned around, I saw Miss Bunny meeting by the Character Greeting Trails and she didn't have a long line either. Having recently saw Bambi, I actually knew who she was now, rather than just a cute bunny, so I jumped in line for her as well. So cute!

We met all 3 characters in less than 20 minutes. Crazy! After this it was about 2:40, and we wanted to see the 3:30 Festival of the Lion King show. The Times Guide says to arrive 30 minutes early, but we went over to the queue then and were the first in line. We had a bit of a wait, but we people/animal watched and soon it was time to head up the path!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 15th, 2012 Part 3

we were just heading into the Lion King show. We were the first people in after the wheelchair parties, so we were seated in the lion section! Whoo hoo! This show is just so amazing. I can't even express my love for it. I dare you not to sing and dance along. It's impossible. I took a bazillion photos, so here are some of them.

The tumble monkeys and the aerial acrobatic bird lady are my favorite things. I definitely left the show bopping along to the songs in my head.

There was a really cute moment right before the show started. There was a young girl sitting next to me and her grandmother was in the row ahead of us. Grandma had a picture of Belle and Beast together in France at Epcot. She showed it to the little girl, and her jaw dropped and her face got so excited. I asked if they were her favorite, and she nodded at me. I told her they were mine too. That is the thing I was most excited for about my job, seeing little kids' faces light up with excitement and awe.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

January 15th, 2012 Part 4

It was just after 4pm by this point, so our FPs for the Safari were open and we headed back there. It was madness. The parade had just come through Africa, but I didn't realize it, and a CM told us we could go around through Asia. So we tried that, only to find out we were *behind* the parade. Ugh. But eventually we made it through the crowds to the FP return entrance. The wait was not long, and somehow the FP collector missed us, so we got to keep the FPs.

We were seated in the front row! Our driver was Cody and he was pretty awesome. The Safari was closing at 5, and this was around 4:30. The animals were so active because it was almost feeding time! I've never seen the lions up and walking or so close!

Huge male hippo.

I think these were Eland.

Giraffe.

Wildebeest. (Does anyone else think "You killed Mufasa!" when they see these?)

Super precious elephant picture (they're my favorite animal).

And....Simba! He was hungry-I've never seen him so close before!

After that epic Safari, Marissa and I headed to the exit. We had told two of our roommates that we would meet them at the Studios at 5 and it was 10 to. The tram came pretty quickly. Just as we reached the Unicorn stop, my phone rang. It was my Coordinator of Training, and she was calling about my schedule. I'd be off the next day, and they couldn't start my actual training until next Friday, but I would be working Tuesday-Thursday in an "Untrained Leadership" position. Due to the phone call there was some confusion and we ended up getting off at the Unicorn lot and walking over two lots to the Giraffe lot and then we were on our way.

As we were exiting the parking lot I called my mom. Because I was chatting with her, I wasn't helping Marissa follow the road signs. After I hung up, I noticed that we were driving parallel to the monorail line.
Me: Um, I think we missed a turn...we shouldn't be running next to the monorail track. Oh gosh, we're going to the Magic Kingdom!

Whoops. So we pulled up to the MK toll booths and explained, and the CM there told us how to turn around. Thankfully, this time we were able to find the correct exit and arrived at the Studios. We parked in the Stage lot and caught the tram to the front.

I had my housing ID facing out in my lanyard, and as we walked up to bag check, the one security guy said to the other, "I'd triple check her...", so my guy looked in my bag and goes, "No, Gretchen doesn't have anything." As we walked away, Marissa was like "How did he know your name? That's so creepy!" I said it was because my ID was showing, which reduced the creepy factor a little bit.

Our roommates had just gotten onto Star Tours so we walked over there and saw that the wait was 50 minutes. We figured they'd be awhile and got FPs for 6:25. Then we went to look for an ice cream cart for me and to check the wait time for Toy Story Mania. Walking past the Writer's Stop I went, "Oh gosh, do I keep looking for an ice cream stand or get the carrot cake cookie?" Marissa reminded me that I would have four months to try things, so I decided to keep looking for ice cream. I didn't find it but we discovered the wait for Toy Story was 120 minutes. Not happening!

We looped around through the Streets of America and saw that the Osbourne Lights were still up, but not playing.

And I just really liked this sign:

It wasn't 6:25 yet, but we headed back to Star Tours anyway...and saw that the wait was now 10 minutes. But we decided to wait and went to sit at Backlot Express (which was closed for the night). Our roommates eventually found us but decided that they were going to ride Tower of Terror before we left.

At 6:21 we went to go stand near the Fastpass entrance. The Cast Member there must have felt bad for us because he let us in early. And the line was exactly the same length as the stand by line. I think the stand by may have actually moved more quickly. But we eventually made it on. I really liked the new version, but I did take off the 3D glasses. It's still the same experience, just not as in your face.

Now it was approaching 7pm, so Marissa and I headed to the exit to wait for Casey and Jessica. On the way we found an ice cream stand! So I got a swirl waffle cone and it was delicious. We sat by Sid Cahunega's to wait and I saw my first (of many) Brazilian tour groups...and I awkwardly took a picture.

Eventually Casey and Jessica made it back to us and we headed for the tram. Then it was on to the Hess station across the street then back to the apartment so Casey and Jess could get sandwiches and their gift cards and then we headed to Downtown Disney. Casey and Jess wanted to go to World of Disney, but Marissa and I went to Goofy's. I had heard they had a carrot cake cookie there (rated as the best in WDW by the disney food blog), but we were super disappointed to find that they no longer sell them!

We were pretty hungry by then, so we decided to go to Wolfgang Puck Express. Our order was a cheese pizza, and there was a problem with my Visa gift card-apparently Visa makes you keep at least $3 on the card so you basically have to refill it. Super dumb. We got our drinks and sat at a table. Pretty soon our pizza arrived.

It was not as big as I remembered, but it was still plenty and we each got three slices. We made it out pretty quickly and then went over to Once Upon a Toy. They had some really cute stuff in there, but I didn't buy anything. Casey and Jess met up with us and they had stopped at Goofy's and Marissa decided she wanted a dipped rice crispie as well, so back we went. At first I didn't want anything, so I just looked. I took this picture for Brook (a DIS friend):

Eventually I did decide that I wanted a White Chocolate Raspberry Cookie. I've had one before and they are amazing!

Finally we left Downtown Disney and went to WalMart. We needed to look for work shoes and I needed some tissues and laundry detergent. I don't think any of us actually found shoes, but I did buy tissues for $0.86 per box. Then it was time to head home and go to bed!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebookworm9 View Post
Well....someone is a Draco Malfoy fan!

I LOVE Flaming Tree BBQ! It is perhaps my favorite QS in all of WDW. I hope the birds didn't bother you while you were eating.

We haven't seen FoTLK since 2007. Any truth to the rumor that it will close soon? I hope not...at least until we make it there next October.

Your TR is great....keep it coming!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #27
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your trip report!

Looks like you've had a great time

Can't wait to read more

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Well....someone is a Draco Malfoy fan!

I LOVE Flaming Tree BBQ! It is perhaps my favorite QS in all of WDW. I hope the birds didn't bother you while you were eating.

We haven't seen FoTLK since 2007. Any truth to the rumor that it will close soon? I hope not...at least until we make it there next October.

Your TR is great....keep it coming!
That would be Christina. But all of us really loved Harry Potter (I never made it over to Universal and the Wizarding World, and I'm really sad about it). The birds didn't bother us at all! They were there, but never came too close. I hope FotLK isn't closing. I haven't heard that rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie View Post
I'm really enjoying your trip report!

Looks like you've had a great time

Can't wait to read more
I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
disneyfan'08
Earning My Ears

I'm a Fall 2013 CP hopeful and I'm absolutely loving hearing about your experiences during your time at Disney! Can't wait to read more!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan'08 View Post
I'm a Fall 2013 CP hopeful and I'm absolutely loving hearing about your experiences during your time at Disney! Can't wait to read more!
Good luck, I hope you get accepted! It was literally the best experience of my life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: