Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Sorry about your experience, but a major reason that cruises at this time of year are much less expensive is that hurricanes are a possibility and you take your chances.
Exactly
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
Phil'sFrontier
DIS Veteran

I think if you try to fight it you are wasting your time. Remember that DCL ship is probably registered in the Bahamas or something so USA law does not apply I would think. Also did you read that contract you signed when you go on the cruise? I imagine they are well covered in there.
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
I was on the Dream and we were also offered 25% (for another three-day cruise) and we were on-time.
Did you get a letter? What did it say? We did on the Fantasy and it said 25% off for delay.
This is interesting. I asked about the letter specifically. I initially thought the letter was for the sets of rouge waves we hit not the delay. They said "Oh no sir, it's due to the delay."
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
You generally don't need "cancel for any reason" trip insurance to cancel when there's a named storm. Review some of the policy options, mine says I can cancel if there's a named storm affecting my port of departure or ports on my itinerary.
Hate to be cynical here, but I'm sure there is a way for the insurance company to weasel out of paying your claim under this scenario. The ONE thing insurance companies hate to do is pay out a dime. Taking your premium? No problem, however! Insurance companies will stop at absolutely nothing to get out of paying a claim. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to deny a "cancel for any reason" policy - stating that your reason did not fall under their definition of "any."

But in all seriousness, at least it would be an option to explore that might give you an out under circumstances like what just occurred.

Last edited by realityland; 10-31-2012 at 06:08 PM.
realityland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
Heck, wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to deny a "cancel for any reason" policy - stating that your reason did not fall under their definition of "any."
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #36
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Heck, wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to deny a "cancel for any reason" policy - stating that your reason did not fall under their definition of "any."

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #37
newjerseymomma
Mouseketeer

Funny, no one has never met a person with a horror story of sailing during hurrican season? Everyone who has ever told me any stories about sailing through a storm has all said the same thing, and it pretty much sums up the stories that people are saying here. I don't know, maybe it is the fact that I live on the east coast and know the when a hurricane is brewing off the coast of florida and the carolinas NJ has exteremly rough surf. The fact that people expect to not be tossed around A LOT while sailing during a storm is just unfathomable. Ships sail all the time during hurricanes it's not like the captin just sat through his first boaters safety course and decided to take the ship out for a spin he is a trained professional, and as I had posted earlier if the coast guard had deemed it unsafe to sail that ship would of never of been allowed to leave port.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the boats are registered to the USA which is a reason why passports are not required.

If you missed your flight you should be able use your travel insurance, but we never use Disneys insurance, we use travel guard which is much cheaper and covers more, including your flights and having to cancel due to work. but the fact that you willing got on the boat will most likely void anything that you had coming to you, including Disney giving you any compensation.

If you knew about the hurricane and you decided to board. IMO you should not be asking for any compensation, it is the same as the people who stay in their homes and ride the storm out then cry when it effects them.
newjerseymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #38
Henlady
DIS Veteran

The ships are registered in the Bahamas, they are not USA Registry. When in port, the ships fly the Bahamian Flag. The reason passports are not "required" has to do with the cruises being "closed loop" ie...leaving from and returning to the same US port.

Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseymomma View Post
Ships sail all the time during hurricanes it's not like the captin just sat through his first boaters safety course and decided to take the ship out for a spin he is a trained professional, and as I had posted earlier if the coast guard had deemed it unsafe to sail that ship would of never of been allowed to leave port.
True statement - the captain has probably seen seas in his career that would make most of us curl up in a ball, suck our thumbs and cry for our mommies.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #40
newjerseymomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
The ships are registered in the Bahamas, they are not USA Registry. When in port, the ships fly the Bahamian Flag. The reason passports are not "required" has to do with the cruises being "closed loop" ie...leaving from and returning to the same US port.
Thank you! I knew it something to do with boarding in US wasnt sure if it was registered here as well
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
newjerseymomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
True statement - the captain has probably seen seas in his career that would make most of us curl up in a ball, suck our thumbs and cry for our mommies.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #42
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland

I love it.

"Deadliest Catch" comes to my mind.....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #43
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

We chose to get on the ship because we trusted DCL's promise to keep us safe:

October 24, 2012

Reservation #: 24402394

Dear Diana,

We are currently monitoring Hurricane Sandy very closely as it moves north through the Caribbean towards The Bahamas, and wanted to reach out to Guests on the October 25th sailing of the Disney Dream® with this very important information.

At this time, the October 25, 2012 Disney Dream sailing will depart Port Canaveral as scheduled. However, given the predicted path of the storm, we realize that the ship's itinerary will need to be altered as the storm passes through The Bahamas.

Unfortunately, the storm is expected to produce tropical storm and hurricane force winds near Nassau and our private island, Disney's Castaway Cay for most of the day on Friday and early on Saturday.

Therefore the revised itinerary will be as follows:

Thursday, October 25 Port Canaveral, Florida
Friday, October 26 Day at Sea
Saturday, October 27 Nassau (pending weather conditions)
Sunday, October 28 Port Canaveral, Florida

The safety and security of our Guests is always our top priority. If necessary, our Captains are always prepared to alter the ships' courses or itineraries to navigate away from inclement weather.
This itinerary shows in advance that castaway cay was cancelled and Naussau was pending weather conditions, so advance warning that Nassau maybe cancelled. So it doesn't look like they were trying to mislead people with a "cruise to nowhere"

In my book, a cruise no matter what the destination is still a cruise. Don't see how DCL did anything wrong

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #44
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGal View Post
This itinerary shows in advance that castaway cay was cancelled and Naussau was pending weather conditions, so advance warning that Nassau maybe cancelled. So it doesn't look like they were trying to mislead people with a "cruise to nowhere"

In my book, a cruise no matter what the destination is still a cruise. Don't see how DCL did anything wrong

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
There would have been absolutely NO issue with a cruise to nowhere.

The issue is with the fact that the ship was taken from the calm waters of "nowhere" INTO the area that DCL already knew to have tropical storm and hurricane force winds during the exact time frame that *they* had told *us* it would not be safe to be there.

From the above posted email:

"Unfortunately, the storm is expected to produce tropical storm and hurricane force winds near Nassau and our private island, Disney's Castaway Cay for most of the day on Friday and early on Saturday."

They didn't mislead us about/with a cruise to nowhere, they misled us by telling us they'd keep us safe and *away* from the storm and then sailing us into it.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #45
newjerseymomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
There would have been absolutely NO issue with a cruise to nowhere.

The issue is with the fact that the ship was taken from the calm waters of "nowhere" INTO the area that DCL already knew to have tropical storm and hurricane force winds during the exact time frame that *they* had told *us* it would not be safe to be there.

From the above posted email:

"Unfortunately, the storm is expected to produce tropical storm and hurricane force winds near Nassau and our private island, Disney's Castaway Cay for most of the day on Friday and early on Saturday."

They didn't mislead us about/with a cruise to nowhere, they misled us by telling us they'd keep us safe and *away* from the storm and then sailing us into it.

Did you ever make waves in a pool? Even though you are making it rough in one end the other end of the pool is also being disturbed? You are going to hit extremely rough water in the entire region. just because the storm was centered around the bahamas does not mean that they were only area feeling its effects at that time.
It's not like a rain storm where you can easily pass through it and have flat seas on the other side. A hurricane on the southern east coast cause problems with surf all the way up the coast.

Again you were able to see the storm and its size on the radar and you made the decision to get on the boat. I understand that it was a horrific experience but people need to use common sense and stop blaming everyone else for everything, it is becoming the american way to put blame on everyone but ourselves. People sue McDonalds because they eat big macs and then get fat take personal responsiblity.
You already received compensation from DCL when you booked at a cheaper rate then other seasons accepting the risk that you could hit a hurricane.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: