Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland

You are correct .. Disney is a "for profit" business. Perhaps I could have said that the product they market, first and foremost, is their "magic." That's how they position themselves in their marketing, anyway.
Yes, I would agreed with that. It's certainly what they ( and I) consider their differential advantage.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh88 View Post
This isn't directed at the OP specifically, but I'm just wondering why people chose to get on the ship with the imminent threat of a hurricane? The tropical depression advisory was, I think, issued on October 22. I have no standing to say about who was "right" or "wrong", and I don't think there is a clear cut answer anyway - but if Disney (and/or other cruise lines) decided to embark with a storm (like tropical storm or hurricane) at sea and if I personally were supposed to be on the ship, I'm about 100% certain I would cancel and re-schedule. Maybe I'm just more compulsive than some, because I'm an avid weather watcher for my vacation destinations in the time leading up to the trip.
We attempted three times before departure to rebook for a different date and were denied. We even called one last time the morning of the cruise and were told that if the ship sailed and we weren't on it, we lost our entire cruise price. We were repeatedly reassured that we would be routed around the weather. Even if you had trip insurance, this was the case. (I have since found out that there is something called "cancel for any reason" insurance, but had never heard of it and don't know what the cost is.)

We were at the tip of Florida on Friday morning as the storm headed toward Nassau and our original projected course on the TV showed us heading into the Gulf past the Keys where the waters were calm. Instead, we turned around and headed directly into the storm and the conditions just continued to deteriorate throughout the rest of the cruise.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketsMom

We attempted three times before departure to rebook for a different date and were denied. We even called one last time the morning of the cruise and were told that if the ship sailed and we weren't on it, we lost our entire cruise price. We were repeatedly reassured that we would be routed around the weather. Even if you had trip insurance, this was the case. (I have since found out that there is something called "cancel for any reason" insurance, but had never heard of it and don't know what the cost is.)

We were at the tip of Florida on Friday morning as the storm headed toward Nassau and our original projected course on the TV showed us heading into the Gulf past the Keys where the waters were calm. Instead, we turned around and headed directly into the storm and the conditions just continued to deteriorate throughout the rest of the cruise.
Typically, "cancel for any reason" coverage can be added to the cost of the travel insurance only at the time that you purchase the insurance. It usually can not be added on later. I believe it refunds 50% of the trip cost - excluding the cost of insurance. Cost is usually around 3% of the trip. Keep in mind, this is in addition to the cost of the regular travel insurance. Some have stated that if you purchase DCL travel insurance that you can cancel and apply the balance toward a future cruise - but I do not have first hand knowledge of this.

Regarding the change of course that you mentioned, I think that is what many of the people are upset about and cannot understand why that decision was made. The fact that they were left to wonder have drawn many to reach their own conclusions.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
C2broncofan
Earning My Ears

For Profit yes - But not everyday is a profit day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
This just isn't true. The Disney Corporation is a "for profit" business. We tend to forget that because they typically do such a great job of spoiling us. First and Foremost, Disney is in the business of turning a profit.

Yes they are "For Profit"... However when you pay 25% more to cruise with Disney you do so with an expectation that YOU and more importantly your KIDS are safe and not terrified. Take some of that 25% premium and save it for days like today and you still have a huge profit.

My thought is when your the KIDS cruise line you should be the safest, conservative cruise line on the open seas. Just because the ship can do it doesn't mean you should do it. If your guest arrive terrified and sick at their destination what did you really achieve.

What you achieved was bad press and fewer customers. In today's Facebook world everyone on those ships are going to tell 50 people how miserable they were on their Disney cruise.

The bad press will cost Disney far more than the cost of keeping the ships away and losing the revenue from the next cruise.
C2broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

A risk of a hurricane during hurricane season is a given. Maybe cruise lines should underline, and bold it, and make you sign something acknowledging this if you book during hurricane season.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2broncofan

Yes they are "For Profit"... However when you pay 25% more to cruise with Disney you do so with an expectation that YOU and more importantly your KIDS are safe and not terrified. Take some of that 25% premium and save it for days like today and you still have a huge profit.

My thought is when your the KIDS cruise line you should be the safest, conservative cruise line on the open seas. Just because the ship can do it doesn't mean you should do it. If your guest arrive terrified and sick at their destination what did you really achieve.

What you achieved was bad press and fewer customers. In today's Facebook world everyone on those ships are going to tell 50 people how miserable they were on their Disney cruise.

The bad press will cost Disney far more than the cost of keeping the ships away and losing the revenue from the next cruise.
*confused* I'm not real sure why I was quoted. My point was just to remind us that Disney Corporation is in the business of making money. We shouldn't confuse our expectations of a company with the actual business plan of a corporation.

Clearly, I am not inferring that the decisions of the Captains were based on profit. I have no idea. I was just correcting the person I quoted who stated that the business of Disney was 'making magic'. Not true.

December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
Henlady
DIS Veteran

Not trying to diminish or question anyone's experiene, but here is MY experience with a cruise hurricane:
October, 2005 - our first cruise. Hurricane Wilma (a Cat 5) was looming in the gulf of Mexico and heading back and forth across Florida. DCL decided they would be able to get out of port ahead of the hurricane. We left Port Canaveral quickly as soon as the safety drill was done. Capt came on and stated that we should be able to outrun the storm, and he would find us sunny skys and smooth sailing for Monday which was changed to our Sea Day and we would head to Nassau on Tuesday. Well, they could NOT out run the hurricane. Could not get away from the winds and high seas, because the storm had a "mind of its own" and did not follow predicted path. We spend one very "bumpy" and rolling day at sea - with me in bed all day - sea sick. I guess I was new at the cruise thing, because I never expected to get any "compensation" from DCL for the bad portion of the cruise, nor did they offer any. That episode did not stop me from cruising, and I'm glad it didn't. We just normally cruise in non-hurricane months.

Henlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
newjerseymomma
Mouseketeer

How about blame the coast guard for clearing the ship to sail? It is a risk you take for sailing during HURRICANE SEASON do you attack the airlines when they fly through rough weather or the bus/train/taxi company when you travel during storms? The weather is out of anyone anyones control if you do not get the insurance that is offered then that is no ones fault but your own. If you don't want to risk hitting a hurricane then sail Dec-May. But don't blame the cruise line when you hit the weather. Now if they were told not to leav port and they did you might have a case here.
newjerseymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
schoen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henlady View Post
Not trying to diminish or question anyone's experiene, but here is MY experience with a cruise hurricane:
October, 2005 - our first cruise. Hurricane Wilma (a Cat 5) was looming in the gulf of Mexico and heading back and forth across Florida. DCL decided they would be able to get out of port ahead of the hurricane. We left Port Canaveral quickly as soon as the safety drill was done. Capt came on and stated that we should be able to outrun the storm, and he would find us sunny skys and smooth sailing for Monday which was changed to our Sea Day and we would head to Nassau on Tuesday. Well, they could NOT out run the hurricane. Could not get away from the winds and high seas, because the storm had a "mind of its own" and did not follow predicted path. We spend one very "bumpy" and rolling day at sea - with me in bed all day - sea sick. I guess I was new at the cruise thing, because I never expected to get any "compensation" from DCL for the bad portion of the cruise, nor did they offer any. That episode did not stop me from cruising, and I'm glad it didn't. We just normally cruise in non-hurricane months.
I don't think that we were offered the 25% discount because of the weather we encountered. The CD said that it was being offered because we were about 5 hours late in arriving to Port Canaveral, causing many to miss flights.
schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
hawaiian mickey
hawaiian flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseymomma View Post
How about blame the coast guard for clearing the ship to sail? It is a risk you take for sailing during HURRICANE SEASON do you attack the airlines when they fly through rough weather or the bus/train/taxi company when you travel during storms? The weather is out of anyone anyones control if you do not get the insurance that is offered then that is no ones fault but your own. If you don't want to risk hitting a hurricane then sail Dec-May. But don't blame the cruise line when you hit the weather. Now if they were told not to leav port and they did you might have a case here.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Typically, "cancel for any reason" coverage can be added to the cost of the travel insurance only at the time that you purchase the insurance. It usually can not be added on later. I believe it refunds 50% of the trip cost - excluding the cost of insurance. Cost is usually around 3% of the trip. Keep in mind, this is in addition to the cost of the regular travel insurance.
I know many people think that when they purchase any trip insurance, they can cancel if they change their minds or if bad weather is predicted. As you've stated, this is simply not the case. In order to collect, your reason for cancelling must be covered by the policy. And documented.

And for those who say "just book outside of hurricane season" I would note that hurricane season is June-November, a full 6 months out of the year. The other 6 months? Kids are in school.

So I really can't fault those folks who trusted Disney's assurances and boarded the cruise anyway. For many families it would have meant a loss of several thousand dollars.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

You generally don't need "cancel for any reason" trip insurance to cancel when there's a named storm. Review some of the policy options, mine says I can cancel if there's a named storm affecting my port of departure or ports on my itinerary.
manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Sorry about your experience, but a major reason that cruises at this time of year are much less expensive is that hurricanes are a possibility and you take your chances.
I always thought it meant you took your chances that the cruise itinerary would be changed to avoid the hurricane, and you just might end up on a cruise to nowhere, or to ports unplanned. Fine with me, happy to take that chance.

I never thought "you take your chances" means you take a chance of the ship captain actually choosing to sail into a known hurricane!!
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoen View Post
I don't think that we were offered the 25% discount because of the weather we encountered. The CD said that it was being offered because we were about 5 hours late in arriving to Port Canaveral, causing many to miss flights.
I was on the Dream and we were also offered 25% (for another three-day cruise) and we were on-time. Had a scary night, but on-time to the port, and couldn't wait to get off! But, we also did not reach any ports, never could use the Aquaduck, Deck 4 and 12 always closed, pools closed a few times, etc. So we basically didn't get what we paid for so they were offering that to make up for it. Nice gesture, but I don't want to cruise anytime soon!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
You generally don't need "cancel for any reason" trip insurance to cancel when there's a named storm. Review some of the policy options, mine says I can cancel if there's a named storm affecting my port of departure or ports on my itinerary.
This is some really good info. I just checked an old policy of mine and it says this. Thank you for pointing this out!
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: