Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
dvc deernut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
maybe the captain didn't sail straight through the storm. Maybe he sailed the outer edge with information that it would be safe and then encountered a quick developed squall in the outer bands. Storms are unpredictable.
thats what im thinking. What people are saying on another thread doesnt seem to be how disney would handle this situation. They werent on the bridge during the storm to know what was really happening. Because of our past experiences cruising many times with disney (and in rough weather)im giving looking at this with an open mind. I feel sorry for those people who sailed on this cruise but im reading comments from people who seem to be writing on emotion. When i read the comment here, it was more rational, and he did include concern in the worst of the storm but didnt didnt critisize the captain and crew.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend

Does this have to turn into a bash captain Tom and dcl thread too? I stayed in my room because we were told to. And it was in fact terrifying.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Favorite Auntie
I'm in the loop now!
The TF's friend

And this was my 10th cruise with dcl and my parents 20th, so I guess we are experienced cruisers.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your story, so glad everyone is well and safe. My blessings to all. I dont think I would have been able to sleep.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
Does this have to turn into a bash captain Tom and dcl thread too? I stayed in my room because we were told to. And it was in fact terrifying.
i don't see anyone bashing anyone... we had a very factual account of sights and sounds during the strom the Fantasy encountered... and for that i thank the OP!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
i don't see anyone bashing anyone... we had a very factual account of sights and sounds during the strom the Fantasy encountered... and for that i thank the OP!
I believe Favorite Auntie is referring to post #15, not the original post.

Glad all of you made it home safely!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Favorite Auntie
I'm in the loop now!
The TF's friend

Correct, I was not referring to the OP at all. I just saw how my original post got ugly quick and would hate for that to happen here too.

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Wow- thanks for sharing your story. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have that huge ship rock so much to the side that water/shoes, etc were flowing overboard. That would just be terrifying to see!
And to think that you might have to get onto a life boat in those conditions, I cannot even imagine how people were feeling.

I am glad you made it home safely!
quickcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Correct, I was not referring to the OP at all. I just saw how my original post got ugly quick and would hate for that to happen here too.
Gotchya! Sorry for the mis-read...
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
tinkerbellRules14
Earning My Ears

Glad you are safe N sound back Home

Indy - thank you for the very honest and accurate post. I do believe that in many of the other threads about the trip it is first time cruisers. While I am sure that it was scary, looking at the National Buoy maps the seas reached a max of 28ft. Not 60ft as I read in another thread.

Most experienced cruisers know that during hurricane season you run that risk.. and it will get bumpy, but if there was anyone I would want to command the ship it would be Capt. Tom. He is by far one of the best in the industry!

Glad a fellow Hoosier was able to make it safely.

Disney Vacation Club - Bay Lake Tower and Animal Kingdom

Cruises: Western Caribbean on Magic 1-2008; Eastern Caribbean on Magic 2-2009; Bahama on Wonder 10-2009; Eastern Caribbean on Magic 2-2010; Mexican Riviera on Wonder 2-2011; Alaska on Wonder 6-2012; Eastern Caribbean on Fantasy 12-2012
Kim & Adam
tinkerbellRules14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Thank you for sharing your expirience. I cannot imagine how frightened many people were. I am glad that you made it home safely.
OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Or maybe the captain said crap I need to make port on time ... Guven that other ships chose to wait that seems more likely
agree...got to wonder was it worth it looking at some of the pictures of the extensive damage on the ship....

you're a brave man Indy1919...this would've freaked me out " I walked into the shop area and the the crew members who were working in the shops were all gathered together in the large hall several holding each other and a couple crying."
Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc deernut View Post
thats what im thinking. What people are saying on another thread doesnt seem to be how disney would handle this situation. They werent on the bridge during the storm to know what was really happening. Because of our past experiences cruising many times with disney (and in rough weather)im giving looking at this with an open mind. I feel sorry for those people who sailed on this cruise but im reading comments from people who seem to be writing on emotion. When i read the comment here, it was more rational, and he did include concern in the worst of the storm but didnt didnt critisize the captain and crew.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellRules14 View Post
Indy - thank you for the very honest and accurate post. I do believe that in many of the other threads about the trip it is first time cruisers. While I am sure that it was scary, looking at the National Buoy maps the seas reached a max of 28ft. Not 60ft as I read in another thread.

Most experienced cruisers know that during hurricane season you run that risk.. and it will get bumpy, but if there was anyone I would want to command the ship it would be Capt. Tom. He is by far one of the best in the industry!

Glad a fellow Hoosier was able to make it safely.
Yes, I very much agree with you all
Really terrible ordeal for all and so sorry you had to go through that, but so glad that eevry one got back safe.

The posts bashing DCL and the captain saying that they don't care about the passengers just seem very emotional and unrealistic.

Favorite Auntie so sorry the thread you started is being taken over the way it is How frustrating for you.

And to the OP, the timeline you layed out is very helpful in letting the DCL fans at home see what things were like. It looks like a good 4-5 hours where things were really bad and of course that would seem like forever to those stuck in the middle of it. Too bad DCL didn't give more instructions, like putting loose objects in drawers or being careful of slamming doors during the rough seas. Hopefully, they'll change things a bit in how they handle things in the future
Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

OP, thanks so much for the very detailed account. I tend to believe that DH and I would be doing close to the same thing. I would want to see the crew at least once to see how concerned they were. It would help me rest easier. Not sure if I would venture out again. I would want to keep thinking all was ok. But I'm pretty sure DH and I would have slept with most our clothes on and our shoes near by.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #30
Lujackdisney
Earning My Ears

Fantasy 10/20 debarkation

I would like to say Disney dropped the ball during the debarkation. Didn't make it clear we could stay in rooms once in port(until after we left, didn't want to bother anyone by going back), announced breakfast and I was out with my husband, 4 and 8 yr old and mother by 8:30. After eating we sat in Cabanas for a couple hours. When we finally heard all guests could start debarkation(around noon/12:30), it was totally a crush of people, with lots of carryons, tired and sick from the adventure they just had. After what we had been through, I wish it was more orderly, like I know Disney usually is. Just made us sad to be so excited to be off the ship and away from everyone. We will be sailing again, maybe 2nd thought on hurricane season.
Lujackdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: