Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
jfoster
Earning My Ears

Smile Dinner suggestions near Hollywood Studios

Hello! Last year for our May 2012 trip we ate dinner at Mama Melrose in the Studios. We were very happy there, but we are trying all new restaurants this year. We have already decided to book 50s Primetime, but we still need one more. I don't feel like there are a lot of great choices in the Studios....Sci Fi comes with mixed reviews....if we have to, we can do Mama Melrose again. Has anyone else had a great dining experience in or around the Studios? Thanks all!
jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
Hello! Last year for our May 2012 trip we ate dinner at Mama Melrose in the Studios. We were very happy there, but we are trying all new restaurants this year. We have already decided to book 50s Primetime, but we still need one more. I don't feel like there are a lot of great choices in the Studios....Sci Fi comes with mixed reviews....if we have to, we can do Mama Melrose again. Has anyone else had a great dining experience in or around the Studios? Thanks all!
If you already have 50's, just curious why you would need one more since youre aware that the options at HS suck to begin with? LOL!

I would hop next door to epcot and eat there. soooo many better choices. Via Napoli is my favourite. Followed by Tutto Italia, then Chefs de France. Really great food at those places.

Teppan Edo and Biergarten are also good.

FWIW, we always liked the food at scifi.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
If you already have 50's, just curious why you would need one more since youre aware that the options at HS suck to begin with? LOL!

I would hop next door to epcot and eat there. soooo many better choices. Via Napoli is my favourite. Followed by Tutto Italia, then Chefs de France. Really great food at those places.

Teppan Edo and Biergarten are also good.

FWIW, we always liked the food at scifi.
Agreed.

Sci Fi is fine if you have never been. The atmosphere is so cool and our burgers and shakes were very yummy. Not sure how great it would be for a large group since the seating in the cars is a bit awkward. It was perfect for 2!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

There are a couple of reasons to look for two TS in DHS.

Maybe the OP has Primetime for lunch and looking for something for dinner and doesn't have hoppers so epcot isn't an option. Or maybe they just don't want to use the time to leave the park.

I agree though, options in this case are limited, but I believe Brown Derby gets good reviews, while Hollywood & Vine, not so much. I have never been to either, so I can't personally comment.
Other options outside of the park but not in epcot include the boardwalk and boardwalk resort area. Lots of restaurants there to choose from and just a boat ride away. We enjoyed Kouzzina there.

Last edited by MaxsDad; 10-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
CHIPSTER
DIS Veteran

You might want to consider the Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club - no theming- just goooooooooooood food.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

I can't say we've been happy with meals at any of the restaurants at DHS in the past year or two, especially Brown Derby. Our strategy now in most of the parks is to just snack and have meals elsewhere whenever possible. Agreed that Epcot has better dining choices of all the parks and it's only a boat ride away. Even better are the resorts in between, especially Swan and Dolphin. When dining outside DHS isn't a practical option, we keep it as simple as possible. It's not that you can't have a decent meal in the parks, but it's more hit and miss than it used to be.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
FLWIDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

I would say that a lot of restraints are good at Hollywood studios I like sci-fi done and Hollywood brown derby another one is Hollywood and vine

DVC Member Cruise - Oct 22 2006, 10 Day Med Cruise - June 6 2007, DVC Member Cruise - Sept 21 2008, 7 Day Eastern - April 10 2009, 7 Day Western - Feb 20 2010, 5 Day Holiday Cruise on Magic - Jan 3 2011, B2B on Dream - June 12 and 17 2011,Inaugural Cruise on the Fantasy - March 31, 2012, 5 Day Western on Wonder - March 30, 2013, 7 Day Eastern - December 14, 2013 , , North to Alaska on the Disney Wonder - June 30, 2014
WDW - All Star Resorts, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge, Beach & Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Bay Lake Tower, Disney's Hilton Head Resort
FLWIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
pixiegirl14
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPSTER
You might want to consider the Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club - no theming- just goooooooooooood food.
Agree with this. We're going in Feb and chose not to eat at DHS but to head over to captain's grille.
pixiegirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: