Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
amit
Earning My Ears

First timer, some basic questions

Hey
we are first time cruisers and booking the 12/29/12 Fantasy East Carribean and have some questions . All help much appreciated :-

1. Is it worth the price difference between category 11 and 5 (for the verandah)

2. We are not US passport holders and not sure about some visa/immigration rules in some islands that the ship touches (we are applying for Bahamas visa for sure to enjoy Castaway Cay). However, are there passport checks at each stop (St Maartens, St Johns, San Juan)

3. Are there any special events for New Year Eve since the website didnít have any info?

Many thanks again,

Amit
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Hey
we are first time cruisers and booking the 12/29/12 Fantasy East Carribean and have some questions . All help much appreciated :-

1. Is it worth the price difference between category 11 and 5 (for the verandah)

It depends. If you smoke lol you will probably want one. I liked it because in the morning or at night I could sit out there and look out at the ocean and smell the ocean air without tons of kids racing around and what not. (:

2. We are not US passport holders and not sure about some visa/immigration rules in some islands that the ship touches (we are applying for Bahamas visa for sure to enjoy Castaway Cay). However, are there passport checks at each stop (St Maartens, St Johns, San Juan)

We didn't have our passport for the bahamas and I'm pretty sure they don't check in St Maarten and St Thomas/Johns. We're getting ours anyway to be safe ya'know?

3. Are there any special events for New Year Eve since the website didnít have any info?

I'm not sure maybe some one else can answer this one (:

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

We always enjoy the balcony and wouldn't cruise without one. As for the passport, I don't think you show them going ashore in the islands, at least we didn't on our Bahamas cruises. I think there is something about having one for re-entry into the US should there be an emergency. I just think its worth it to have them just to be safe. I think being on the ship for New Year's Eve will be fun and there might be some added things. Have fun.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
castmbr
DIS Veteran

No passports needed for St Thomas or St marteen
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
owensamo
DIS Veteran

I can't answer the passport/visa question for non-US passport holders (we have US passports and have never needed them - or visas - for any of the islands. However, there may be different requirements depending on what country your passport is from). St. Thomas/Johns is a US territory, so probably wouldn't be a problem (it's actually considered re-entering the US when you sail there - we used to have to go through US immigration check at like 6am that day, but they got away from having to do that a few years ago).

As for the room question, we have sailed 8 times (with 2 more cruises booked for next summer) and have yet to sail with a veranda. We've mostly sailed inside staterooms - twice, we've had oceanview portholes on Deck 2 (Magic), with our upcoming cruises also being Oceanview on the Fantasy. We've sailed with people in our party who had a veranda - and that was nice - but we've not found it necessary by any means, and the extra money has gone towards photos, excursions, Palo, etc. so we could enjoy the trip that much more. We do tend to spend a lot of time on deck enjoying the outdoors, the atmosphere, and people-watching - DH figures that we're on a cruise to enjoy everything the ship has to offer, not spend time in the room, so he probably wouldn't use it anyway!

In my opinion, I think I would only find a veranda necessary on port-intensive itineraries like Alaska (though the naturalists on deck would probably have me spending more time there anyway) or in the Med - in the Caribbean, there's not that much to see!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: