Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #46
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja99 View Post
How odd is that it that I don't want to use other cruise lines because they're gonna charge me for a soda? I know that it will affect my enjoyment of my vacation that I just spend a boatload of money on, so I just won't even go there.

This is also one of the fiscally-irresponsible reasons why I choose to stay in concierge-level at the Disney hotels. Sure, those concierge dudes can do a lot for you, but I also get free soda. Awesome!!

Now if they could only roll in the tips so that I don't have to spend a dime after I get on the ship, I'd be in heaven. I always stress about how much to tip who and when.
Funny you say this. My DH gets so annoyed at the nickel and diming of getting any non alcohol from the bar, seltzer, soda, whatever. It takes away the joy for him. It's not about the money at all for him-just an irritation.

Anyway, about tipping. On DCL and RCCL, we just did the automatic tipping that they suggest and it goes on the account. No worrying! It's just like magic

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney

Last edited by briarrose1; 11-02-2012 at 01:47 AM.
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #47
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Been there, tried that, and not ever sailing with anyone but DCL again!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #48
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck
Been there, tried that, and not ever sailing with anyone but DCL again!
Can you share why?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #49
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarrose1 View Post
Funny you say this. My DH gets so annoyed at the nickel and diming of getting any non alcohol from the bar, seltzer, soda, whatever. It takes away the joy for him. It's not about the money at all for him-just an irritation.

Anyway, about tipping. On DCL and RCCL, we just did the automatic tipping that they suggest and it goes on the account. No worrying! It's just like magic

But if he gets any of these from the bar on Disney, he'll also be charged for it.
The only so-called "free" soda is at the drink station. And it's almost never convenient to run all the way up there. Say, for example, you're playing Bingo....are you going to stop in the middle to run up to the soda fountain?

I will never understand the "free soda" being a plus for DCL. Especially not when you've already paid for it ten times over, and it's so inconvenient.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #50
briarrose1
Disney Fanatic Since 1995♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
But if he gets any of these from the bar on Disney, he'll also be charged for it.
The only so-called "free" soda is at the drink station. And it's almost never convenient to run all the way up there. Say, for example, you're playing Bingo....are you going to stop in the middle to run up to the soda fountain?

I will never understand the "free soda" being a plus for DCL. Especially not when you've already paid for it ten times over, and it's so inconvenient.
Oy...I need to be more specific. Didn't mean from the "bar" specifically. As a former bartender/waitress, it's just a term I used. In the MDR-I think that's more clear

And the drink station is not the only place for free soda. It's in all the MDR's, Palo.

In fact, we did play Bingo a lot, won over $500 BTW and I ordered soda, because that's what I want & paid for it. And in the theater too!

Like I said, it's NOT about the money. If it was, I shouldn't be going on ANY cruise if I have to worry about every thing.

As far as paying for it "ten times over", I certainly don't choose a cruise because of this. I choose DCL because of the quality and the enjoyment factor.

AND, we bought the water on the ship too. It's all a matter of what works for each person.

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing—that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney
briarrose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post

The best cruises we have ever taken for service, food, beauty of the ship was on the Celebrity Solstice. They have DCL beat...just way better...well that's my opinion. Don't scream at me to much please
No screaming here.

Solstice class is way up on my list to try...it will either be our next cruise or the one after that - depending if I can resist the RCL's Oasis class again.

Rude behavior from adults and children? That happens on every line. You're not going to find a safe haven from that on ANY line, ANY ship. It just happens.

I find DCL too overpriced to continue to sail with them over and over. A couple of times, yes. Exclusively, no. Do I want to sail on the Dream/Fantasy? Yes. Over and over? No. There are far too many competitive (price and ammenities) lines out there and far too many more interesting itineraries to limit myself to DCL.

I get a kick out of the "free soda" criteria that many seem to use as their rationale to sailing with DCL. Just like my kids say that the food is "free" onboard a cruise. You pay for it...sometimes way, way, overpay for it.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linco711 View Post
I may be the minority here, but please don't flame me. I'm almost afraid to give my opinion but here goes. We sailed DCL 4 times. Twice on the Magic, once on the Wonder, and very recently sailed on the Fantasy. We have also sailed Royal Caribbean, and the Celebrity Solstice. We loved the Magic and the Wonder, but we're not happy with the Fantasy. The food and entertainment was very good on all DCL cruises. The Fantasy had very good food, but the restaurants were very loud and chaotic! It was very difficult to have any kind of a conversation. Service was not what we expected or had in the past in the restaurants or our room steward. On the magic and the wonder, the kids were much less visible. I'm guessing it's because the Fantasy is so much larger, so naturally more children Just not sure what the difference is, but our cruise was not so magical and we were disappointed.

The best cruises we have ever taken for service, food, beauty of the ship was on the Celebrity Solstice. They have DCL beat...just way better...well that's my opinion. Don't scream at me to much please
Oh my goodness, your post sounds exactly like one that I would write! We have done the same DCL cruises, 2 Magic 1 Wonder and 1 Fantasy (well, that is in 7 months).
We have also sailed RCI and Celebrity.
We love Solstice class. We have done Equinox 2X (21 days total) and Silhouette 1X (12 day) and
Eclipse for 14 nights over Christmas in Dec.

When I compare Wonder and Magic to S Class, I give Celebrity a slight edge for ship, passengers and a HUGE edge for price. I will be curious how we feel about Fantasy, I'll bet it will be like you, linco711.

We are not fond of RCI. Both DCL and RCI have terrible smoking policies (can smoke on balcony, yuck).
Celebrity is a almost smoke-free ship (except for about 3 places outside where they can smoke).

Yes, you can find happiness on other cruise lines!

Oh, and the soda dilemma? Celebrity has soda packages for $7 a day. Still a lot less than a DCL cruise!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #53
Gino USMC
Semper Fi

We have been on three other cruise lines. Two cruises with Royal Caribbean, one with Carnival and Norwegian. We love Royal Caribbean. Everything was great with them. With the exception of our wait staff, the service sucked big time with Carnival. Never going back to Carnival. Norwegian had good service but not a lot of activities and the main shows were terrible. I had seen better shows at my high school.

Disney and Royal Caribbean are the only cruise lines we consider.
Gino USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #54
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

DH and I cruised on the Disney Magic in 2001 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We went on the Magic a second time, and the Wonder as well.

We have also been on the Carnival Fantasy, Glory and Freedom as well as Royal Caribbean's Mariner (twice) and Monarch.

Loved each and every cruise. We usually find something (s) the we like better on each cruise line, but they were all still very enjoyable.

We have thought about going on another Disney cruise, but just can't see paying so much more than what we pay on Carnival and Royal.

That "free" soda really isn't "free" since you're paying so much more to be on a Disney cruise in the first place.

Our next cruise will be on the Carnival Conquest in January, then I'd like to go on Royal's Oasis. We'd also like to try several other lines like Princess, Norwegian, Holland America, and Celebrity.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

I would say, no. Cruised 10 times since 1980 on 6 different lines, and we were spoiled equality on 5 of the 6 lines. Only NCL America was a step down, but that was an entirely different type of cruise, the ships role was more of a hotel, than a destination unto itself. But since you overnighted in 2 ports, and the longest stretch at sea was 18 hours, the trip was much more focused on what you did in port than on the ship.

My first cruise, on Paquet's Mermoz puts every other cruise including Disney to shame. Mind you, I was working at a TV news photographer and was on board to do stories on cruising, so not only was I sailing for free, I was being paid to be there. Their focus was on wine and food, a gourmet cruise. Wine was included at no extra change with lunch and dinner. I recently thumbed through the brochure, and they didn't even offer excursions. Most passengers went ashore, wondered around, came back for their gourmet lunch, went back a shore and back for their gourmet dinner. HOWEVER, the entertainment.......well........the singer performing each night was the Captain, and the Comic was the cruise director.

We cruised NCL at a time where their focus was onboard entertainment. So the comic was someone you saw last week on the Tonight show, as was the singing group, and they usually had a celebrity sports figure on board. Not only did you get to see their shows and attend their lectures, they mingled with you on the ship for the entire week. Showing my age here, but in the 1980's over 2 NCL cruises we saw Shields and Yarnell, Norm Crosby, Jack Jones, The Fifth Dimension, and cruised with then active NBA star Moses Malone (now a hall of famer) then, of the 76ers.......and an NFL player from one of the New York teams whose last name is Nixon (sorry, didn't and don't follow the NFL, don't remember his first name.)
Old 09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #56
kayaker35
Mouseketeer

Our first cruise was on HAL over 30 years ago. We never had the desire to do another cruise until last November when our children and grandchildren all decided to take a 5-night Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream. We had such a great time on that cruise that we booked an Alaska cruise for August of this year.

Because we wanted to see more of the Alaska coast, we decided to take a 7-night southbound cruise from Whittier AK to Vancouver BC on the Sapphire Princess before we boarded the Wonder for the 7-night round trip from Vancouver. We didn't have high expectations of Princess, since we had been told that DCL spoiled you for any other cruise line. We were pleasantly surprised. We found the friendliness and efficiency of crew and staff to be every bit as wonderful as on the Dream. We were impressed with the food selection at the buffet, as well as the size of it. It was was more spacious than on the Dream. The food in the dining rooms was comparable. The staterooms were smaller on the Sapphire, but still plenty of room for the two of us.

The interior of the Sapphire Princess is more sophisticated and elegant than the Dream or the Wonder. This is to be expected, since they aren't catering to families with children, but more of an adult crowd. The pools were beautiful. We liked that there was an indoor pool..... especially in Alaska.

The Piazza on the Sapphire was spectacular. Just gorgeous, with the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizza, and Vines Wine Bar there, along with lots of seating. Piano music, as well as street entertainment was there at various times during the day.

The entertainment on the Disney ships is second to none. That said, we enjoyed the Princess entertainment as well.

There was plenty to do on the Sapphire. Lots of activities on board every day.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise either DCL or Princess again. In fact, we have cruises booked on both the Ruby Princess to the Caribbean in March of 2014 and the Panama Canal repositioning cruise on the Disney Wonder in September 2014.

Don't worry about being disappointed with another cruise line. They're different..... one isn't necessarily better than another.
kayaker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
calebspeaks
Origami Disney Master

My wife has been on a Princess Cruise and loved it. We are taking our first Disney Cruise in a week, and are super excited. She has already been comparing the two, and so far Disney is definitely winning out!
calebspeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker35 View Post
Our first cruise was on HAL over 30 years ago. We never had the desire to do another cruise until last November when our children and grandchildren all decided to take a 5-night Bahamas cruise on the Disney Dream. We had such a great time on that cruise that we booked an Alaska cruise for August of this year.

Because we wanted to see more of the Alaska coast, we decided to take a 7-night southbound cruise from Whittier AK to Vancouver BC on the Sapphire Princess before we boarded the Wonder for the 7-night round trip from Vancouver. We didn't have high expectations of Princess, since we had been told that DCL spoiled you for any other cruise line. We were pleasantly surprised. We found the friendliness and efficiency of crew and staff to be every bit as wonderful as on the Dream. We were impressed with the food selection at the buffet, as well as the size of it. It was was more spacious than on the Dream. The food in the dining rooms was comparable. The staterooms were smaller on the Sapphire, but still plenty of room for the two of us.

The interior of the Sapphire Princess is more sophisticated and elegant than the Dream or the Wonder. This is to be expected, since they aren't catering to families with children, but more of an adult crowd. The pools were beautiful. We liked that there was an indoor pool..... especially in Alaska.

The Piazza on the Sapphire was spectacular. Just gorgeous, with the International Cafe, Alfredo's Pizza, and Vines Wine Bar there, along with lots of seating. Piano music, as well as street entertainment was there at various times during the day.

The entertainment on the Disney ships is second to none. That said, we enjoyed the Princess entertainment as well.

There was plenty to do on the Sapphire. Lots of activities on board every day.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise either DCL or Princess again. In fact, we have cruises booked on both the Ruby Princess to the Caribbean in March of 2014 and the Panama Canal repositioning cruise on the Disney Wonder in September 2014.

Don't worry about being disappointed with another cruise line. They're different..... one isn't necessarily better than another.
I'm glad you enjoyed your Princess Alaska cruise. Their southbound itinerary is one of the best, as it goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

I agree with you about the beauty of Princess's ships, and I also love the International Cafe. I hope you'll have a great cruise on the Ruby Princess.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #59
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Disney was our very cruise (Sept 1998) and it launched a really great habit of frequent cruising for many years. That first cruise validated that we liked cruising but it also informed us that we didn't much care for Disney's way of doing it.

We had no troubles shifting from DCL to NCL, Holland America, Celebrity, Marine Expeditions and similar. For us, at that time, the destinations were more important than the ship and these lines gave us the world, including Antartica! NCL used to offer wonderful onboard lectures through their life enrichment program on the art, people, culture, architecture, and historical significance of the various ports in our journey. Marine Expeditions offered us great adventure first-hand, rather than being held back at a "safe" observation distance.

We returned to DCL in 2005 for the return Panama Canal itinerary. It was our second time through the canal but my parent's first. The canal wasn't high on Mom's "to-do" list and Disney wasn't high on Dad's but Disney through the canal was just what we needed to get them onboard, so to speak. The Magic was lovely but Disney's staff, once again, let us down. They still hadn't nailed the art of passenger logistics.

Our third and final DCL cruise was in April 2011, a Pacific Coastal transition on the Wonder. That cruise started poorly with embarkation delays and remained troubled thoughout. It was a lousy experience and we won't hurry back.Given, I hold Disney to high standards. My expectations are high. But frankly, DCL has failed me and no longer deserves my business. I'd rather pay less, go farther and enjoy a greater variety of experiences. Basically, my disappointment in DCL increases as I experience other lines rather than the stated question.
That's funny, we were on that cruise and LOVED it. So it proves that everybody sees things differently.
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #60
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

. . . I have to agree with the person who said they'd seen worse adult behavior on DCL. I'll been on several Carnival cruises, and maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't seen any of the drunken party behavior that some people like to attribute to Carnival. Yeah, the do the stupid hairy chest contest, but you know what? I've never been at the pool when they did it. No one forces you to sit there and watch.
In addition to DCL, I've sailed on RCI, Celebrity, Princess, HAL and NCL. I have yet to see a hairy chest contest.

But on the Disney Magic, we had Men's Synchronized Swimming (complete with pink tutus). Photos. More photos.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: