Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Disney was our very cruise (Sept 1996) and it launched a really great habit of frequent cruising for many years. [/B]
Prior to '98 though they weren't DCL were they? Didn't they have a contract with another line or something like that?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Prior to '98 though they weren't DCL were they? Didn't they have a contract with another line or something like that?
Oh, sorry - typo. That should have been Sept 1998. It was on the Magic.
Good catch - thx!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I've never been on a 'bad' vacation. Vacation is the time to forget about work and deadlines and bills and appointments and going grocery shopping and cooking dinner and cleaning the bathroom. Vacation is when you can leave the bed unmade and throw towels on the floor if you want to.

On vacation you wake up every morning with an attitude of expectancy and expect good things to happen and expect to have fun in whatever adventure you do. On vacation, you forget about your credit card bills and spend with reckless abandon.

Oh wait, you asked about being on a different cruise line. Uh....yeah, things are different. But you are going to have fun by gosh and by golly and it desn't matter that its a different company. You are on vacation with your family....quality time with the ones you love. Who cares if the menu selection is not 'as good' as it could be or the rooms are 15% smaller.

In other words, expect to have a good time and you will. Like someone said, 'don't sweat the small stuff....and when you're on vacation, it's all small stuff'
Maybe YOU spend with "reckless abandon" - but I am almost as budget-conscious when I travel as when I'm at home. That's what allows me to take longer trips or travel more frequently.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post

We had no troubles shifting from DCL to NCL, Holland America, Celebrity, Marine Expeditions and similar. For us, at that time, the destinations were more important than the ship and these lines gave us the world, including Antartica!....

Given, I hold Disney to high standards. My expectations are high. But frankly, DCL has failed me and no longer deserves my business. Basically, my disappointment in DCL increases as I experience other lines rather than the stated question.
I cruise primarily for the destinations, and I'd also rather pay less, go farther, and enjoy a greater variety of experiences. Although I wouldn't say I am "disappointed" in Disney - their service fails to wow me as it does others.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
Well, to answer your original question, I've cruised four different lines and enjoyed them all for different reasons.

I must disagree with you regarding one thing, the behavior of the adults on DCL. I don't recall the kids bugging me one way or the other; for the most part kids are kids. The adults, on the other hand....WOW! I have never run into so many adults in one place that seemed to think they were entitled to whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted it than on the Fantasy in May. Cutting in lines, talking loudly during shows, griping at the CMs for minor nonsense, either treating their kids horribly or outright ignoring them, practically shoving others out of the way to get on the Aquaduck or to the food/drink areas on deck. I was shocked. Obviously it wasn't everyone on board, or even the majority, but it was a big enough percentage that it was very noticeable. I really felt bad for some of the CMs who were kind and pleasant and trying to do their jobs.
Totally agree with the above.

We were on Celebrity this summer. There were several things I liked better than DCL (better food, they have Splenda, better prices, enforced "adult areas" --these were actually listed as "children 16 and under are permitted in this area during the following hours"). However, there is no question that DCL has better entertainment and a much younger adult crowd. DCL also has better scheduling: the few interesting activities available on Celebrity all seemed to be scheduled at the same time. We didn't encounter any of the entitlement parents that seem to populate at least some DCL cruises. Service was organized differently, but similar in quality to DCL. (stateroom host, dinner).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Maybe YOU spend with "reckless abandon" - but I am almost as budget-conscious when I travel as when I'm at home. That's what allows me to take longer trips or travel more frequently.

Yeah, we tend go get a little reckless with spending while on vacation. Pretty frugal most of the time but on vacation the "you only live once" mentality seems to dominate and if we want it, we get it.

BTW, the same is true for eating! On vacations, everything is calorie free! Whoohoo!! So you can have the double-chocolate cheesecakey thing and a side of ice cream after dinner and still have a few slices of pizza later on by the pool and not worry about gaining weight.....
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I cruise primarily for the destinations, and I'd also rather pay less, go farther, and enjoy a greater variety of experiences. Although I wouldn't say I am "disappointed" in Disney - their service fails to wow me as it does others.
This is our approach as well. We sailed Disney three times when the kids were small. We have other destinations in mind and other lines are the ones who take us there. Been on Carnival (1), NCL (2), and RCCL (5). Love, love, love the Oasis class for Carribean sailings. Love other lines for world travel. Next up, Celebrity. We haven't been disappointed with other lines. Not in the least. Especially with our kids grown...they too are now looking for more of an adult experience. Disney, in my opinion, is great for younger families while other lines handle an older family better.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
erineab
Mouseketeer

I have cruised multiple times with Princess, Royal Caribbean and Disney. While Princess and Royal Caribbean were both wonderful, there are three reasons that I prefer Disney cruising:

1) Their evenings shows are second to none. Especially having younger children who love live theatre, the draw of the shows is definitely a big factor for me.

2) Free soda/milk/juice. I know it seems like a little thing, but it's a nice touch.

3) Bringing alcohol onboard. Not that my husband and I are heavy drinkers; however, traveling with young children we are resigned to our stateroom at a decent hour every night. Being able to bring a few bottles of wine for us to enjoy in our stateroom is a huge bonus in my book. To my knowledge, Disney is the only cruise line that permits alcohol to be brought on board for in-room consumption.

With all that said, I can't wait for Disney to release 2014 so I can book again!!
erineab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Yeah, we tend go get a little reckless with spending while on vacation. Pretty frugal most of the time but on vacation the "you only live once" mentality seems to dominate and if we want it, we get it.

BTW, the same is true for eating! On vacations, everything is calorie free! Whoohoo!! So you can have the double-chocolate cheesecakey thing and a side of ice cream after dinner and still have a few slices of pizza later on by the pool and not worry about gaining weight.....

We just got off our first DCL and I was impressed with everyone's behavior, attitude, kindness, courtesy, appearance, demeanor, etc., etc.
This is what makes us inclined to book DCL again.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
hubbard53
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erineab View Post
I have cruised multiple times with Princess, Royal Caribbean and Disney. While Princess and Royal Caribbean were both wonderful, there are three reasons that I prefer Disney cruising:

1) Their evenings shows are second to none. Especially having younger children who love live theatre, the draw of the shows is definitely a big factor for me.

2) Free soda/milk/juice. I know it seems like a little thing, but it's a nice touch.

3) Bringing alcohol onboard. Not that my husband and I are heavy drinkers; however, traveling with young children we are resigned to our stateroom at a decent hour every night. Being able to bring a few bottles of wine for us to enjoy in our stateroom is a huge bonus in my book. To my knowledge, Disney is the only cruise line that permits alcohol to be brought on board for in-room consumption.

With all that said, I can't wait for Disney to release 2014 so I can book again!!
just got off the Fantasy 10/20 Hurricane Cruise. It was my first and only cruise and pretty confident that I would be underwhelmed by other lines for the same reasons above.

If I didnt get free soda/milk, I would be in trouble. My son wnet through soooo much milk, I couldnt imaging having to pay for it.

Bringing our own alcohol was a huge bonus too (although the onboard liquor store prices were comparable to my home liquor store) for the same reason as you - i had a 2 yr old son that pretty much put us in our stateroom from 9pm on.

To another posters point, I thought I would be disgusted with all teh children on the Disney Cruise but was more disappointed with the adults. Shocking behavior. I lost count on how many times some adult cut in front of me and my son at the buffet. Some dude came over and took my salt and pepper from my table while we were eating! Don't get me started on adults in the elevators . . .

Of course nothing was bad enough to keep me from another DCL cruise that I've already booked
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
.... Shocking behavior......
This was my sailing too. Glad I was in all the right places at the right times.
Of course we did avoid the few times there we massive crowds.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
just got off the Fantasy 10/20 Hurricane Cruise. It was my first and only cruise and pretty confident that I would be underwhelmed by other lines for the same reasons above.

If I didnt get free soda/milk, I would be in trouble. My son wnet through soooo much milk, I couldnt imaging having to pay for it.

Bringing our own alcohol was a huge bonus too (although the onboard liquor store prices were comparable to my home liquor store) for the same reason as you - i had a 2 yr old son that pretty much put us in our stateroom from 9pm on.

To another posters point, I thought I would be disgusted with all teh children on the Disney Cruise but was more disappointed with the adults. Shocking behavior. I lost count on how many times some adult cut in front of me and my son at the buffet. Some dude came over and took my salt and pepper from my table while we were eating! Don't get me started on adults in the elevators . . .

Of course nothing was bad enough to keep me from another DCL cruise that I've already booked
I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed your first cruise despite the additional hurricane roller coaster ride!

Just an FYI, on other lines, you don't pay for milk and you can purchase a soda card that is good for the whole cruise rather than buying it by the drink if you consume a lot. I'm always amused when people say that "free" soda is a perk on DCL as their cruise fares are usually much higher than other lines. You gotta love bringing the alcohol on-board, though!

Happy future sailing!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #28
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

We're fans of both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

I'm not sure why people keep mentioning milk and juice as being a DCL perk - free milk and juice (just not fresh squeezed, which was extra) have been available on every ship I've ever been on. Yes, "free soda" is a DCL perk, but all lines I'm aware of have milk and juice available. We've traveled with young kids for the last 7 years, and we've actually frequently gotten milk and juice delivered via room service daily.

Anyway, if what excites you is seeing Disney characters and theming, sure, stick with DCL, but if you enjoy going interesting places in comfort, you'll do fine on any number of lines.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I see a few people have mentioned the behavior of both kids and adults on different cruises.

Truthfully.....it just depends. I've seen some HORRIFIC behavior from kids on Disney. Worse than on the other cruise lines. Dangerous, even.
Normally, on any cruise, you'll find some kids playing in the elevators, or running in the halls....that's almost a given.....but I've seen it go far beyond on a couple of different DCL cruises, so my point is that kids are kids, no matter what cruise line they're on. If they're looking for trouble, they'll find it.

I have to agree with the person who said they'd seen worse adult behavior on DCL. I'll been on several Carnival cruises, and maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't seen any of the drunken party behavior that some people like to attribute to Carnival. Yeah, the do the stupid hairy chest contest, but you know what? I've never been at the pool when they did it. No one forces you to sit there and watch.
But the line cutting, rude, "I'm entitled" stuff I've seen on DCL is astonishing. Parents letting their kids misbehave, because "It's Disney"....and yes, I've actually heard them say it (the parents).

Someone mentioned better shows on Disney. Maybe so, but if you've seen them once, you don't necessarily need to see them again. Over and over and over. I quit going after the first couple of times.

Off the soapbox. I just like to travel, and I'm finding more and more that I don't have to do it on or with Disney......and I have more money now to go more often.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
barbja99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rose View Post
Yes, "free soda" is a DCL perk...
How odd is that it that I don't want to use other cruise lines because they're gonna charge me for a soda? I know that it will affect my enjoyment of my vacation that I just spend a boatload of money on, so I just won't even go there.

This is also one of the fiscally-irresponsible reasons why I choose to stay in concierge-level at the Disney hotels. Sure, those concierge dudes can do a lot for you, but I also get free soda. Awesome!!

Now if they could only roll in the tips so that I don't have to spend a dime after I get on the ship, I'd be in heaven. I always stress about how much to tip who and when.

Disney Wonder: Alaska, July 2013
barbja99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: