Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

DCL Fantasy Guests' Account of Sailing Through Sandy

Terrifying accounts from DISers who were aboard the Fantasy when the captain decided to sail through Hurricane Sandy:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3013842

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

we were on the Dream that returned to Port Canaveral on thursday - that last night we were rocking and rolling like i've never rocked and rolled on a ship before!!
i woke up before we got to the PC channel so that i could watch from our verandah - that ocean was churning big time!!!

we were very lucky on our cruise as we managed to be ahead of the hurricane - we even made it into CC and had a relatively nice day there.
but it was definitely a rocky cruise, with the rocking increasing with each passing day.

from what i heard, the 3 day cruise after ours wasn't as lucky.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Here is a video I just watched on CNN from someone on the ship...I was shocked how bad it seems. All I can say is that I would have been terrified and I don't blame people onboard for being upset they decided to sail.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-865019

ETA: My whole family of first time cruisers (11 of us) are booked on the Dream for March and I am praying no one sees this video...my dad and sister especially, I might not get them on the ship.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 10-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
GaDisneyFreak
Earning My Ears

Disney sailed purely on a financial standpoint. So sad. I have a cruise next October and I am going to cancel it. Even Carnival put their passengers ahead of the almighty dollar on this one.
GaDisneyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDisneyFreak View Post
Disney sailed purely on a financial standpoint. So sad. I have a cruise next October and I am going to cancel it. Even Carnival put their passengers ahead of the almighty dollar on this one.
Frankly, the storm was so huge, I don't think it would have made a significant difference if the ship waited or not. My friends were on the ship, and they are not deterred from taking another cruise.

They were in a midship cabin, deck 8, which may have made a difference. Compared to forward or aft staterooms. You'd feel motion in extremes in the front or back of any ship.

I can imagine first time cruisers will NOT want to cruise again, EVER. I can't blame them. But I can't say whether this would deter me or not. And I do think Disney as a company is concerned with safety. Ask any person who is a current or former cast member what they feel Disney's policy is about safety. We'll all tell you that safety IS a priority. I don't think the Captain would have sailed through if he felt is was unsafe.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
If this was true, then they wouldn't have taken a chance. Lawsuits and the damage to the ship would have been big bucks. I highly doubt it was a purely financial decision.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Disney has often delayed ships and/or gone to other ports as needed, even at the detriment of additional cost. I'm not sure why people suddenly think that there has been a major change of policy.

Everything I've read and from talking to people make it sound as if they tried to follow the storm up the coast, but then it just stalled, so they had no choice but to keep going.

Unfortunate? Absolutely. Terrifying? Apparently. Unsafe? Nah.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

We were on the Dream that sailed into the storm on Thursday, and returned today. It was rough the whole time, most outdoor areas were closed for the duration, we made no ports, and it got much worse last night. I think what we went through was the same as the Fantasy did, we were just a bit more accustomed to it because we had been in it for two days already. It was miserable, and the decision to leave port at all was a poor one in my opinion.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

We were in cabin 8000 (deck 8, extreme forward, dead center of the ship). It was rather intense. I am not sure about the others who have second guessed Captain Tom's decision, but I know I do not have his experience navigating a vessel of that magnitude. I find it analogous to the chatter around the lunch room on the morning following a football/baseball/basketball game, how everyone talks about how they would have done it to improve it. Hindsight is twenty-twenty they say.

I do not think that a Captain worth his salt of any reputable line would purposely sail his vessel into danger. In theory Captain Tom's planned worked well. Hurricane Sandy just decided to slow down and grow in an inconvenient place.

I cannot speak highly enough of the crew on board though. They weathered the same storm we all did. They still did their jobs well. They showed proper signs of caution and concern, but didn't come across as alarming or setting off panic nor having a fake sense of security and smiles.

And even though they got as little sleep (if not less) than the guests on board, they took care of us, cleaned up the ship and took on another set of guests to sail with.

Bravo, DCL crew members. Bravo.

Because it was an experience and levity is sometimes best, we had some fun at the create a t-shirt shop at Downtown Disney:
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Carnival does not have the best reputation for putting passengers first...

Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor
We were in cabin 8000 (deck 8, extreme forward, dead center of the ship). It was rather intense. I am not sure about the others who have second guessed Captain Tom's decision, but I know I do not have his experience navigating a vessel of that magnitude. I find it analogous to the chatter around the lunch room on the morning following a football/baseball/basketball game, how everyone talks about how they would have done it to improve it. Hindsight is twenty-twenty they say.

I do not think that a Captain worth his salt of any reputable line would purposely sail his vessel into danger. In theory Captain Tom's planned worked well. Hurricane Sandy just decided to slow down and grow in an inconvenient place.

I cannot speak highly enough of the crew on board though. They weathered the same storm we all did. They still did their jobs well. They showed proper signs of caution and concern, but didn't come across as alarming or setting off panic nor having a fake sense of security and smiles.

And even though they got as little sleep (if not less) than the guests on board, they took care of us, cleaned up the ship and took on another set of guests to sail with.

Bravo, DCL crew members. Bravo.

Because it was an experience and levity is sometimes best, we had some fun at the create a t-shirt shop at Downtown Disney:
Excellent attitude!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post

Thanks for this great perspective Todd. I know you've been on several other DCL cruises, at least one of which was a bit rocky at times.

I take it that this experience won't deter you from doing another DCL cruise during hurricane season?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Thanks for this great perspective Todd. I know you've been on several other DCL cruises, at least one of which was a bit rocky at times.

I take it that this experience won't deter you from doing another DCL cruise during hurricane season?
I rebooked before we hit wavy water and don't plan on changing it. Pretty close to the same date for 2013 as a matter of fact.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Disneybridein2k3
I am and I'm not afraid to admit it
That is AWESOME news
Disneyland Trip Winner

I expected nothing less than the "as reported" excellent service from the cast members. Although they were going through everything the guests were going through, they always seem to have a wonderful and friendly demeanor. As Todd pointed out, the Captain's decision may have been made when the storm was predicted to be in a different path. I may have misundertood, however that Disney was using more advanced monitoring equipment which allowed them to make those difficult decisions. I was not on the ship. But if I had been, I think I may be surveying the damages on the ship (I've only seen the video showing the violent waves and the damages in the shops) and then noticing the other cruise line(s) that made the decision with (what I would hope would be) the same info that Disney had available. And while I cannot say if the decision to stay or go was a good one, I am looking forward to hearing Pete's opinions on it.

If you ever had any doubts about using Dreams Unlimited for your next Disney vacation, read this thread!
Disneybridein2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: