Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #76
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran

I have come to this discussion a little late and admit I have not read all 5 pages.

You can call maintenance and ask them to install a "medical thermostat". It is really just a new "face" and has different programming than a standard unit. We have used them before and it allowed us to be comfortable. And yes...............hot flashes are a good enough reason to get one!

They install the new face and then remove it on the day you check out. They re-install the standard face before the next guest arrives. Admittedly this was a POP but I am pretty sure this approach applies to other resorts as well.

Hope this information helps somebody during their next visit.
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #77
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Interesting. What is sad though is guests have to do this
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #78
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

This was an issue for DH when we stayed there 2 weeks ago. We were there for only 2 nights, but DH literally had to sleep on top of the sheets and woke up sweating. He tried to override the thermostat to no avail. The problem is that the room gets stuffy, no air circulation at night is a problem for most, I imagine.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #79
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Exactly!!!

I completely understand trying to be green and save green but when it turns some guests red, this is not what people come to expect from Disney
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #80
jaysmom4285
DIS Veteran

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about these particular thermostats. But when we stayed at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek, we had a similar problem with their thermostats being motion activated, which meant that they essentially did nothing at night, and this made for uncomfortably warm sleeping. The thermostats there have a button on the side to change the display from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. Pushing and holding that button in for several seconds would change the display to read 6P (or something like that). After that, the motion sensor was deactivated, and the thermostat would maintain whatever temperature it was set on. This is just a thought, in case the thermostats at AoA have something similar.
jaysmom4285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #81
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran

At POP the bypass feature has been turned off for any consumer use. The entire conplex is trying to be green and keep their overhead down.

I think this change happened in the past year or so because we have always had the maintenance guy in the past do his override on the spot, but during recent visits this summer and fall they had to install the special medical thermostat.

It is certainly possible that some other facilities, like another hotel/resort may have the ability to press a few buttons and change the mode of operation. If you are staying at a hotel/resort that has a system with a wall mounted thermostat, always call and ask what can be done to improve your comfort. I assure you that you will not have been the first person to have called!
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014

Last edited by BridgetBordeaux; 10-30-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #82
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I must admit when I first read this I was thinking that is really cold, but then I remembered I always have to turn the thermostat down at the Disney resorts to much colder than I would ever at home. At home, my thermostat never goes below 78 and it usually stays around 80. I am that cold natured. But at Disney I think I usually have to run it closer to 72. I can definitely see how someone would get hot if they are used to colder temperatures, as I believe most people are.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #83
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetBordeaux View Post

You can call maintenance and ask them to install a "medical thermostat". It is really just a new "face" and has different programming than a standard unit. We have used them before and it allowed us to be comfortable. And yes...............hot flashes are a good enough reason to get one!

They install the new face and then remove it on the day you check out. They re-install the standard face before the next guest arrives. Admittedly this was a POP but I am pretty sure this approach applies to other resorts as well.

I can't help but think though that if a lot of people start requesting a medical thermostat, that they will do away with them. Lets not start abusing something that is supposed to be a medical device. Hopefully posters will find other ways of dealing with the room temp. Even if it means a visit to the front desk.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #84
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetBordeaux View Post
I have come to this discussion a little late and admit I have not read all 5 pages.

Good idea! If enough people go to the front desk to request this, then hopefully they will change the thermostat situation permanently. Maintenance won't want to mess with this very long. Squeaky wheel get the grease.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #85
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
Good idea! If enough people go to the front desk to request this, then hopefully they will change the thermostat situation permanently. Maintenance won't want to mess with this very long. Squeaky wheel get the grease.
Or they will just stop doing it at all.

I'm curious if anyone has tried e-mailing Disney about this, and if so, what their reply was. Very curious as to how they would handle a complain that their rooms are just too hot to be comfortable, and you would never return.

I would never ever claim to have a medical need when I didn't or ask for a medical accommodation when it wasn't really necessary. Bad Karma. Just as I would never ask for a GAC because I didn't want to wait out in the sun.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #86
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

68 is definitely not that cool. I also get warm in the Disney rooms. When I stayed at ASM the second time this year the room was set at 72 and it was warm and humid in the room. I turned it down to 66, but when I came back the following day housekeeping turned it back up to 72. Again, it was warm and humid so we turned it back down. I do t think its right that you cannot turn it below 68. That would make for an uncomfortable night sleeping.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #87
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

We moved to the Dolphin after our Little Mermaid nights and the thermostat goes much lower than 68. However, at 68, we were freezing, so we kept it around 70, and we slept under the blankets without sweating. We could also turn off the A/C and keep the fan on.

For whatever reason, 68 at AOA had a much stuffier and hotter feel than 68 or even 70 at the Dolphin.

FWIW, no we did not complain at AOA, because we weren't in the room long and we were transferring after 2 nights. I could have mentioned it at check-out, but frankly it slipped my mind and was not a big issue. I can see it can be a big issue for others, however.
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #88
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

I emailed Disney about this since we were thinking of staying at Art of Animation and my husband won't be happy if he's in a stuffy room at night. We aren't going until 2014, but still.... Curious what they would say. This is their reply which doesn't seem to go along with what everyone else is saying.

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.
I do understand your concerns about the resort room accommodations. The
resorts rooms are not motion activated. However, the rooms at Disney
including Art of Animation have a traditional air conditioning unit, and
like most units you can set the temperature at a degree, and once it
hits a certain temperature that you've set it for, the thermostat will
then stay at that particular temperature that suits you and your
families needs. I hope this has helped.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,
Annelisa Richardson
WDW Online Communications
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #89
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
I think ceiling fans would help this problem. The fan running would cause the motion need to keep the air on. It would also move the air and keep the room cooler. A ceiling fan is such an inexpensive way to improve the performance or air conditioning and heat. I never have understood why a ceiling fan is a perk for the mods and deluxe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
I hated that in Europe - at a lot of hotels you insert your room key card in to get any electricity. It alway took quite a while to cool off the room especially when the temperature was high. It got to the point that we left one key in the slot and just took hubby's key when we went out.
This is what we did on the Fantasy, where they have it set up like that.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #90
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilouwho View Post
I emailed Disney about this since we were thinking of staying at Art of Animation and my husband won't be happy if he's in a stuffy room at night. We aren't going until 2014, but still.... Curious what they would say. This is their reply which doesn't seem to go along with what everyone else is saying.

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.
I do understand your concerns about the resort room accommodations. The
resorts rooms are not motion activated. However, the rooms at Disney
including Art of Animation have a traditional air conditioning unit, and
like most units you can set the temperature at a degree, and once it
hits a certain temperature that you've set it for, the thermostat will
then stay at that particular temperature that suits you and your
families needs. I hope this has helped.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,
Annelisa Richardson
WDW Online Communications
The thermostat only goes down to 68 and its never felt 68. It also has a sensor but not sure how its used. I know I have to get up in the middle of the night to turn the fan on to have some air circulating because it gets really hot/stuffy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: