Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #136
susieq76
DIS Veteran

Honestly- I would have been at the front desk every five minutes. There is no way I can deal with sleeping in over 66. I keep my therm at 65 at night year round. And I keep the fan on over our bed! At BLT this September I kept the thermo on 65 the whole evening as well.

susieq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #137
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

well get ready folks... this is the NEW resort... so this might be the new norm to come to all rooms (though some with ceiling fans will be tolerable to some degree)
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #138
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
well get ready folks... this is the NEW resort... so this might be the new norm to come to all rooms (though some with ceiling fans will be tolerable to some degree)
Or it could be a glitch in a new resort that Disney has yet to acknowledge or address.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #139
cavepig
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Or it could be a glitch in a new resort that Disney has yet to acknowledge or address.
I'm sure they are aware of it and if it is a glitch why not fix it?!?! Maybe if enough complain they will change it, but as I think someone said earlier maybe all units/rooms will be going to this system to save energy. If we ever stay there again we will bring a fan.

Resorts: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Fort Wilderness Campsite, Port Orleans Riverside (aka Dixie Landings), All-Star Movies, POP Century, Art of Animation - Little Mermaid.
Run Disney: Expedition Everest Challenge May 2014

cavepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #140
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

This thread is scaring me! We leave for AoA in 3 weeks and I cannot sleep unless my room is freezing. On top of already being one of those people who keeps their house around 63-65...I am on new medicine that causes me to have horrible hot flashes at night. We sleep with a floor oscilating fan running and a ceiling fan on low (that mostly just keeps the air moving in our room). I have a feeling I am going to be on the phone with the front desk. Ugh.

June 2014-POFQ Quick 4 night trip for SWW then off to the beach!

September 2014-Split Stay. 4 nights FD AKL, 10 nights BCV for F&W

Me DH DD (infant) DS (teen) Ellie :
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #141
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
You can tell the Southerners from the Northerners in this thread.

That's what I was thinking. Everywhere we've lived in the north, the recommended winter thermostat settings have been 68 during the day, 65 at night, and that's going back at least to the 1970s. The people I know with central air don't usually set it that low in the summer, but they have fans going in the bedrooms at night. And if you have the house open with a fan in the bedroom window, the bedroom can get down to 65 at night even in July.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #142
primrosea
Mouseketeer

We just returned from 1 week at Pop and 1 week at AoaLM. In both places we were given box fans when we called housekeeping, but NOT the front desk. At AoA we had to call a few times and finally got one when a Mousekeeper came to bring towels and we asked her one more time if they had some...we had one in the room after that in less than 5 minutes Although I'm not sure it makes the room any cooler, they did help move the air and block any outside noise. We slept great after we figured it out!
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #143
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia080979 View Post
This thread is scaring me! We leave for AoA in 3 weeks and I cannot sleep unless my room is freezing. On top of already being one of those people who keeps their house around 63-65...I am on new medicine that causes me to have horrible hot flashes at night. We sleep with a floor oscilating fan running and a ceiling fan on low (that mostly just keeps the air moving in our room). I have a feeling I am going to be on the phone with the front desk. Ugh.
Go to the front desk, don't just call. Calling only gets you the call center.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #144
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a split stay at POP and AoA LM. I like the room cold. The room at AoA did seem a bit warmer than POP but not warm enough that we came out from under the blankets. I've had rooms that were too hot even in the deluxe resorts.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #145
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

yeah but the deluxe resorts have thermostats than can be bypassed and have ceiling fans which help tremendously

I called the front desk twice... even asked if they had a fan and we were told no and they don't offer those
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #146
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

A/C Issue at AOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If Disney is really serious about being "energy efficient" and a "green" company (as opposed to saving money) I would look for minimum and maximum thermostat settings to come to all their resorts in the future, with the possibility of no bypass unless it is specifically requested for medical reasons. A "green" resort that lets its guests regularly bypass the thermostat limits is not a "green" resort.
Actually, a truly green resort would have GeoThermal, SMART thermostats, Energy Star Appliances, solar heating for the pools and recycling of food or biomass waste to create energy and vehicles powered by natural gas...I digress, I work for a University, it's a big deal here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
You can tell the Southerners from the Northerners in this thread.
Yes, this is a large component to the varying degrees of comfort. We are in NE Ohio. My thermostat is rarely set in the winter time above 60! I know, shocking, right? We don't have central air...could have it, but don't have it yet. We do use some window ones in the high humidity, but I favor the "Texas cool" method of using fans at night and closing the windows in the morning and keeping air circulated. I will then turn on the A/C. It's amazing how cool the house stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I read this whole thread and I guess I'm still stuck on the idea of a motion-sensored thermostat. If your thermostat is "smart" or "green" enough to have a motion sensor, shouldn't it also be "smart" enough to be programmed to run during specific hours, even if there is no motion?
Yes, this puzzling. However, and I relate this to working my experience working in a large Univ and my DH being in construction...the construction of AOA didn't go out to the highest bidder! Likely, the lowest. It sounds like a quality issue with the A/C, combined with a lack of airflow in the rooms. Sometimes you can stand it a bit warmer if there is air flow. Once you get stuffy, forget about it. I wonder if the units are too small for the rooms...again, lowest bidder issue.

I have thyroid issues. Coupled with being a woman of a certain age...I get toasty and cranky. I may as well jump in the pool. I wear shorts in Ohio in October and since it will be 60 here on Saturday in Nov...I'll have them on again! I'm used to cool. That said, it can get hotter here in July than even FLA! Yes, it's a conundrum about Ohio. I have a hard time breathing when it gets that hot and humid. I head to the basement where it's cool.

It seems like the information isn't necessarily getting to those who have the authority to do anything about it. It's pricey to go to WDW. There are many, many other energy saving things they can do than to turn off the A/C at night. It's cheaper to run it at night anyway. When we were at POR last October, we were comfortable. I could never go in a month before October or after March, maybe April, to FL, unless I was plopped on the beach. I don't sweat and can't do heat.

Hopefully, somebody "OFFICIAL" is reading or made aware of these posts. The more squawk, maybe the more likely it will be addressed. A few 100 emails couldn't hurt.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #147
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell30012 View Post
We just returned from a split stay at POP and AoA LM. I like the room cold. The room at AoA did seem a bit warmer than POP but not warm enough that we came out from under the blankets. I've had rooms that were too hot even in the deluxe resorts.
Why sleep under blankets during the summer, then want the room freezing? We keep ours 76* at night and mostly days - we sleep under a sheet. My SIL freezes our extended family at her house. I would sure hate to pay the utility bills for a lot of folks on here

How would you dress a baby/toddler at night when they don't stay covered like you (general you) do? Winter jammies all year?

Last edited by North of Mouse; 11-06-2012 at 09:03 AM.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #148
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Why sleep under blankets during the summer, then want the room freezing? We keep ours 76* at night and mostly days - we sleep under a sheet. My SIL freezes our extended family at her house. I would sure hate to pay the utility bills for a lot of folks on here

How would you dress a baby/toddler at night when they don't stay covered like you (general you) do? Winter jammies all year?
Quote:

Why not? At night I get hot flashes and can ony sleep in a super chilled room. I never liked sleeing under just a sheet. It reminds me of summer camp. The bright side is you don't have to pay our utility bills.

The thing a lot of the younger women are not getting is perimenopause and menopause. It will happen to you one day and you will be on your knees thanking God for air conditioning. You go from comfortable to broiling in a flash. The best part is you don't know when it will happen or how often each day. Oh and size doesn't matter either. I used to think being thing would save me from all that icky hot flash stuff- jokes on me.

Last edited by Robbi; 11-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #149
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
The bright side is you don't have to pay our utility bills.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #150
maxiesmom

Quote:
Anyone else think maybe a lot of people do that, and maybe that is part of the reason why Disney picked 68 degrees as the low temp? Can you just imagine the electric bill if half of the rooms at one resort cranked it down to deep freeze, so they could sleep under a pile of blankets? No wonder the would try to set a limit.

Now they shouldn't go so far as to have the rooms uncomfortably warm, there should be a happy medium somewhere. But as this is a new resort, and the first time having a low temp cut off with no bypass and no fan, maybe the just guessed the wrong temp and will lower it a bit if they get enough complaints.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: