Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Question Has anyone switched a cabin in order to get the connecting cabin?

Ok, I'm not sure if this is even possible...but, I have 2 cabins that are only one cabin away from each other (7678 & 7674)... The connecting cabin (7676) has been booked by someone else. What are the odds of me finding the person who has the cabin, and would Disney do the switch IF they were willing? I know it's a longshot, but my dad is in the second cabin with 2 of my kids. He has some medical issues and I don't want him to be too stressed. My mom also just passed away a month ago... I want this to be a relaxing time for him.

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Can you find two empty connecting cabins and switch both of your reservations?

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post
Can you find two empty connecting cabins and switch both of your reservations?
There are no more OV in that category, and the cheapest upgrade would be too expensive.

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

I'm in the same situation OP. My TA says she put in a request with DCL to have the one room switched if at all possible. She says sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't. I have an 11A (now in GTY status) so I think it's at least possible that the room between could get upgraded. I am over a year out though so I hold out some hope that the other cabin could cancel, change category, etc. If I were you I would call DCL (or have your TA do it) and at least put in a request.

So I hope for the best, and at worst, apologize for the noise as our kids go back and forth!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
TwilightGoddess
Earning My Ears

I got joining rooms for our parties and that was a lucky one for us. I would suggest calling the day after when people can't cancel anymore and see if there is one available, you can also mention this upon check in or worst case scenerio when you check in ask them if they would mind switching. You never know they may not even need joining rooms.

Mom to a 6 yr old Swash Buckling Pirate

Past Trips:
Disney World 2000
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Eastern Caribbean 2013
Disney World and Fantasy Cruise Western Caribbean 2014
TwilightGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
JustUs275
Mouseketeer

We have the same issue...we have 2 non-adjoining cabins booked and actually one of the adjoining cabins was a person on our roll call! But I didn't want to just jump in first thing and ask them if they would be interested in switching, so I waited but now I haven't seen them on the roll call for quite some time. I'm wondering if they had to cancel their cruise or something - I should have just asked them...I called our travel agent the other day and she checked, but it is not showing as available.
JustUs275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
DisnyMik
Mouseketeer

We just did this same thing for our cruise in Oct '13. Our friends were several cabins away and I kept checking everyday. Finally 2 adjoining became available on portside. We had to upgrade one category but it was only like $51. Per stateroom so it was a no brainer for us. Also, I would expect staterooms to become available after final pmt is due, however, I would check ASAP after that date!

I still check almost everyday to see if 2 adj on starboard side became available in our category. I tend to be obsessive when planning our vacays or cruises so this is normal for me. DH says by the time we go there are no surprises for me because I plan, read, and research everything before!

DisnyMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheriot

There are no more OV in that category, and the cheapest upgrade would be too expensive.
What about going down a class to inside? Maybe you could find those adjoining?
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerl30 View Post
What about going down a class to inside? Maybe you could find those adjoining?

Well, we could possibly do that... But we wanted the extra Space the 8C OV has and my dad actually requested an OV.

I think I may try calling DCL to see if anything is possible as Silly Little Pixie suggested..Guess it couldn't hurt to ask.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
clukas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheriot View Post
Ok, I'm not sure if this is even possible...but, I have 2 cabins that are only one cabin away from each other (7678 & 7674)... The connecting cabin (7676) has been booked by someone else. What are the odds of me finding the person who has the cabin, and would Disney do the switch IF they were willing? I know it's a longshot, but my dad is in the second cabin with 2 of my kids. He has some medical issues and I don't want him to be too stressed. My mom also just passed away a month ago... I want this to be a relaxing time for him.
This happened to us a couple years ago. I waited by the cabin and before the person next to us entered the room I asked if he would consider switching cabins with us because his was adjoining our relatives.

It was just one man, his girl friend and her family were in a cabin on a different deck.

We hadn't opened our room and he agreed, we went to the front desk and they made the switch without problem. We were lucky that the other person agreed and helped us out. I bought him a few drinks while on board.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
crashbb
DIS Veteran

There have been other reports of people doing what the PP suggested (asking on board), but I'm not sure anyone has had success doing so before the trip. If the other room happened to be taken by a DISer, you'd likely be set - but the odds are slim. Since the other travellers are clearly not connecting with travelling companions and moving over one cabin doesn't change much in terms of the area of the ship you are in (and assuming that the cabins are identical in terms of number of beds and layout), I would think that the odds were good that they'd be willing to change - if you only could ask them.

OP - glad to see that things worked out with moving the cruise date!
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
BeardedDragons
Earning My Ears

We booked just under a year out and were unable to get two connecting rooms in the category we wanted. We went ahead and booked our desired category. A few months later we were upgraded and now have connecting cabins w Verandah.

---
WDW, Pop Century ~ Jan 2014 | Atlantis ~ July 2013 | Fantasy ~ Jan 2013 | Magic ~ Jan 2012 | WDW, Off-site ~ Dec 2011 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Jun 2011 | Wonder ~ Dec 2010 | WDW, ASSports ~ Dec 2010 | Atlantis ~ May 2010 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Dec 2009 | Quebec City & Nova Scotia ~ July 2009 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2008 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2007 | WDW, Off-site ~ Feb 1987
BeardedDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
There have been other reports of people doing what the PP suggested (asking on board), but I'm not sure anyone has had success doing so before the trip. If the other room happened to be taken by a DISer, you'd likely be set - but the odds are slim. Since the other travellers are clearly not connecting with travelling companions and moving over one cabin doesn't change much in terms of the area of the ship you are in (and assuming that the cabins are identical in terms of number of beds and layout), I would think that the odds were good that they'd be willing to change - if you only could ask them.

OP - glad to see that things worked out with moving the cruise date!
I thought of doing that too!! If it comes to this, I'll give it a
Shot. I don't see why someone would mind moving only one cabin down. I won't get my hopes up though, just in case it doesn't happen.

Yes, it did work out in the end... But, we had to bite the bullet to the tune of $600 oh well, I know Disney has done more than enough for me. I am grateful for that!!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Just to clarify for people who may not know the correct terminology....or the difference.

Connecting cabins mean the cabins have the interior door that connects one cabin to the other.

Adjoining cabins only mean that they are next to each other.

If you call DCL and ask for adjoining cabins but really want the connecting you may not get what you want. Make sure you use the correct terminology so you get what you want (if available, of course).

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
jdkdorn
Disneyholic and SSR/BCV DVC Member

We booked our cruise and paid upfront but would also like to get the connecting cabin to ours for my parents. They are currently 10 cabins away. How many days out is final payment day?

Thanks for the help

judy
Dolphin-Feb 1997, WL-Jan 2000, AKL-Sept 2002, CSR-Jan 2003., BCV-Aug 2003, GC-Jan 2004, BCV-Oct 2004, SSR-DEC 2004, SSR-Jan 2005, BWV-May 2005, BCV-Oct 2005, DCL-Feb 2006, BWV-June 2006, DCL-Oct 2007, BCV -Oct 2007, BCV-Oct 2008, VWL-June 2009, BCV-Oct 2010, BCV-Dec 2010, BLT-May 2011, BCV-Sept 2011, DL-Apr 2012, DCL/F-Mar 2013, BLT-Mar 2014, AKV-K-Jan 2015

jdkdorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: