Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
mrsmillar
Earning My Ears

Help which resort?!?

There are 20 of us in my family traveling in January (11 adults, 9 kids) to WDW. We had booked the ASMO but 2 people in the group have recieved pin codes for free dining so we are thinking about upgrading to a moderate, since we can book 3 rooms off each pin. With so many kids what resort would you pick and why? Kids ages are (1,3,4,5,5,5,6,8,8). My husband, myself and the two 5 year olds are the only ones that have ever been, we stayed at Bay Lake Tower last year. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
mrsmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've only stayed at one mod (CBR) and we loved it. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was great, the food court had alot of variety, and the transportation was awesome. I think the kids would love the pirate pool. It was great when we stayed there in 2002 and has been redone since then. We had a great stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Good luck deciding.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
sheilanne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1
We've only stayed at one mod (CBR) and we loved it. The grounds were beautiful, the pool was great, the food court had alot of variety, and the transportation was awesome. I think the kids would love the pirate pool. It was great when we staye d there in 2002 and has been redone since then. We had a great stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Good luck deciding.
We stayed at CBR last year and it was horrible!!! The room was filthy and smelled like mold. We were in Trinidad South in a pirate room. Everything was so worn and old looking, it was probably the worst place I have ever stayed in! It was so bad, my husband said he didn't care how much it cost this trip, (11/27) anywhere except CBR! LOL... So, we are looking very forward to BLT!!! Our entire family git sick last time, we think from the mold.
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
sheilanne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmillar
There are 20 of us in my family traveling in January (11 adults, 9 kids) to WDW. We had booked the ASMO but 2 people in the group have recieved pin codes for free dining so we are thinking about upgrading to a moderate, since we can book 3 rooms off each pin. With so many kids what resort would you pick and why? Kids ages are (1,3,4,5,5,5,6,8,8). My husband, myself and the two 5 year olds are the only ones that have ever been, we stayed at Bay Lake Tower last year. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
Did you like BLT? We're going 11/27 and so excited. Any certain room requests? Thanks
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmillar View Post
If you are talking Jan. 2013, I'd get on the computer (or phone) and see which moderates are included in the pin offer that still have availability - that may make your decision for you. It's been years since I stayed at CBR, but I loved it. POR also looks very nice (I've stayed @ POFQ but not POR.) Lots of people really like CSR as well.
I'd upgrade, is the free dinning for QSDP or the regular DP?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

We love port Orleans, both French quarter & riverside. We love the atmosphere of both, being able to use pools at both resorts & the boat to DTD! Have fun! We've been in January many times & love it!!
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

I like POR--especially the landscaping and ambiance of Alligator Bayou. Also, the rooms in AB have a Murphy Bed (along with 2Q), which may be helpful for your sleeping arrangements

But as the PP mentioned, availability is going to be the key. I was surprised to see that for early January when I checked POR for the RO discount out that only Royal Guestrooms were available.

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
mrsmillar
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilanne View Post
Did you like BLT? We're going 11/27 and so excited. Any certain room requests? Thanks
We LOVED BLT and if it was in the budget we would be there for sure. We had booked just a standard room but from our balcony could see the lake and MK, the only request we made was to be close to the bridge over to Contemporary.

The PIN is for free QS @ a value and DP @ moderate and up. We were on the phone with a CM yesterday playing around and pricing stuff out and she did POFQ/POR/AOA suites/CBR and they all had rooms available. We just wanted to be able to look on our own and we are getting together this afternoon to call and book. Its just hard since nobody else has gone, I don't want to pick the wrong place.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming I have a few more hours till we get together
mrsmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
sndral
DIS Veteran

Of that list, I'd go w/ POR or CBR as they are more likely to be able to put your whole group closer together, POFQ is a very small resort and has less inventory to work w/.
POR does have the boat to downtown Disney, which I really like and fewer internal bus stops than CBR. I like CBR's food court and pool better than POR and of course CBR has a large quiet pool for each island - but maybe not so important in Jan..
The next thing to do is to start scheduling those ADRs for a party of 20!
What fun w/ such a tribe of children.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
monica9
DIS Veteran

All I can say is if you decide to go to CBR, please please please get a room that is close to the food court. It took us 10 minutes to walk each way just to get water or coffee in the morning. With all those kids, you are bound to be making multiple trips to the food court and its such a hassle especially after walking all day in the parks! And the resort was so run down and gross. I'm not a picky person but its not a good resort. The game room, pool, pool bar, food court, restaurant and store aren't bad at all but the long walk to and from your room and the run down rooms did it for me. Iwon't go there unless it's the only resort left at wdw. I would check out AOA if I were you!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
sndral
DIS Veteran

Here's a nice YouTube of CBR w/ music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ji2f...eature=related
And here's one of POR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXR1cFSbOY

I think I'd just play each of these to the crowd and have them vote!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
hill6
DIS Veteran

Pofq. Small resort and less crazy.

The Dark Side May 8-10.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge May 10-14
Kidani May 14-15. Hoping for last night at Wilderness Lodge
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: