Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
jfoster
Earning My Ears

Smile Dining suggestions near Magic Kingdom?

Hello all! We are 2 weeks away from making our ADRs. We are in the process of mapping out our days and determining where we will be when. It appears as though we will be dining around Magic Kingdom 3 evenings. We plan to book Be Our Guest and Ohanna...does anyone have any other suggestions? Last year we ate at Chef Mickey (didn't care for) and Kona Cafe. We are hoping to try all new locations this year. Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a signature experience, we LOVE Cali Grill. They have great sushi, wine, views, and service. We also adore Citricos. We have gone once and it's definitely in our top 3.

We are looking forward to our ADR at The Wave. The menu looks yummy if you are looking for a nice place with fresh, local food.

If you are taking kids or want something more exciting, I would try BOG. Anything new is exciting!

A lot of people love 'Ohana. We went once and it was okay... we are 2 adults and it was loud with spotty food quality. We did have a great view of the castle and wishes.

Good luck and have fun!
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a signature experience, we LOVE Cali Grill. They have great sushi, wine, views, and service. We also adore Citricos. We have gone once and it's definitely in our top 3.

We are looking forward to our ADR at The Wave. The menu looks yummy if you are looking for a nice place with fresh, local food.

If you are taking kids or want something more exciting, I would try BOG. Anything new is exciting!

A lot of people love 'Ohana. We went once and it was okay... we are 2 adults and it was loud with spotty food quality. We did have a great view of the castle and wishes.

Good luck and have fun!
I agree with the above. we didn't care for ohana. slimy wings, poor quality beef. gross pork. only good items were bread, salad, and dessert. noodles and potstickers were ok but a bit dry.

I agree about California grill as well. AMAZING food! I have yet to find a better steak than the one i had there. so good.

keep in mind California grill is closing in February for refurb. they will be closed probably til the fall.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Quin
DIS Veteran

If the original poster is 2 weeks away from their 180-day ADR date, that means they're going to be at WDW in May 2013 (same as me!). Cali Grill will be closed for refurb that month so there's no point in suggesting it. The OP already said they plan to eat at BOG.

And I strongly recommend Ohana; with kids or without we've had good food and a wonderful experience.

For your third ADR, one suggestion is to make a pre-rope-drop breakfast ADR at CP. If you prefer a dinner again, 1900PF is a particularly good choice if your group includes teens or tweens who may think they're too cool for characters. 1900PF dinner is as close as you can get to a Villains meal because of Lady Tremaine and the StepSisters. Hilarious! There are 3 nearby signatures: Narcoossees & Citricos at GF plus Artist Point at WL; all are very good food but pricey and take longer out of your park time.

For other 1 TS meals I hesitate to suggest WCC at WL: the only meal option at dinner is a family-style platter and the items simply don't appeal to me (and jalapeno cheesecake for dessert? NOT!). I would recommend that you look at LTT in the MK, though. Check out both lunch & dinner as they are very different. You could eat a mid-afternoon TS lunch at LTT and then just grab a CS dinner, or simply snack through the evening. Like WCC, lunch is a regular menu while the dinner meal is a set platter, but the food choices on the platter at LTT look better to me.

Last edited by Quin; 10-27-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Ohana is definately not the same. Maybe grand Floridian cafe or maybe WCC at the wilderness lodge

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
DVC Kelly
Mouseketeer

DISboards Approved Advertiser

On my last trip we had the early seating at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue and then headed over to the Magic Kingdom (which lined up with that park having the Extra Magic Hours that night). It seemed to work out flawlessly.
Better Business Bureau Accredited: ..BBB

DVC Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

A few choices close by would be 1900 Park Fare, GF Cafe, and WCC. We've eaten at 1900 PF and WCC and while 1900 PF is just ok (IMO), we've always loved WCC.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

I thought for a character buffet 1900 Park Fare was solid.

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
jfoster
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thanks....worth mentioning it is a family vacation with our 3 little guys ages 4 7 and 9. We will be there May 8 to the 15th, so I guess we won't be able to do Cali Grill. Would like to stick to a 1 vs 2 table credit meal, since our kids can't really appreciate fine dining yet. Will probably have been at MK all day so don't want to stray too far...plan to return after dinner. Thanks for the continued suggestions...they are appreciated. Last year was our first, so we are rookies!
jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
ses1230
DIS Veteran

There is the Grand Floridian cafe which is good and has a casual atmosphere.

There is also The Wave. We went last October and my daughters (3 and 6 at the time) loved their kids meals. The food was pretty good, for me the appetizers were definitely better than my entree, my DH enjoyed his though.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoster View Post
Thanks....worth mentioning it is a family vacation with our 3 little guys ages 4 7 and 9. We will be there May 8 to the 15th, so I guess we won't be able to do Cali Grill. Would like to stick to a 1 vs 2 table credit meal, since our kids can't really appreciate fine dining yet. Will probably have been at MK all day so don't want to stray too far...plan to return after dinner. Thanks for the continued suggestions...they are appreciated. Last year was our first, so we are rookies!
I would recommend Crystal Palace. We just ate there a couple weeks ago. The food is good and I'm sure your kids would love the characters. My boys are 10 and 12 and still love doing character meals.

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
pixiegirl14
Earning My Ears

We are trying Grand Floridian Café per another poster's suggestion.
pixiegirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Iadoreeeyore
Earning My Ears

I would definitely recommend getting a reservation at CP before the rope drop. You can have a good breakfast with Winnie and friends and have an opportunity to take pictures in front of the castle before the crowds arrive.

Off Property 5/1990, CBR 2/1994, CBR 5/2006 (Disneymoon), Off Property 12/2011 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), DYC 5/2012 (Pop Warner Scholastics Banquet) , Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2012 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), Off Property Emerald Isle 12/2013 (Pop Warner Super Bowl), 2014???

Iadoreeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

I would recommend Crystal Palace. It is located in MK and every time we have eaten there the food has been good. My kids love the characters and it keeps them entertained.

Me(43) DH(47) DS17 DD11 DS8 DS5

theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Liberty tree tavern was good. But i also thought 'ohana was great!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: