Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDisneyDaddy View Post
BTW, they just offered us 25% off future cruise or trip to WDW. I appreciate the offer, and will take advantage of it. But i still firmly believe we should not have gone through that storm. It was a bad decision, and i think Disney know it was.
I'm surprised they had you all go through that too. I know money is involved, there is a hurricane, and people are on the boards saying that it's the risk you take in hurricane season, but I have to questions the decision to come in when several people have reported that everything in the room went flying off the table.

Whether or not ya'll were safe, it just seems like a pretty bad decision to force passengers into a scary situation. But what's done is done and thankfully everyone is safe. I'm glad they offered the discount to everyone and hopefully they won't make a decision like that again. (Kudos to Carnival on that one.)

ETA:
Quote:
I have to agree that there is an element of risk that you accept when booking in Hurricane season. Even if it is in the traditionally inactive times (like late October.)

With that being said, it seemed clear to even the most inexperienced person watching any weather report that the ship should not have made such risky decisions.

To what end I would ask ...

1) Regardless of the fact that "the ship can do it", it still doesn't make it a good idea. The Unsinkable Molly Brown ... enough said.

2) Even if the ship sustains no damage, is it really a good idea to have people and things flying about?

3) Assuming that no one gets injured and that the ship is perfectly safe, what is gained? The passengers are miserable and scared.

Someone is really going to have to explain the logic behind this decision before it will even begin to make a shred of sense to me.
I totally agree with you. Hopefully enough passengers will complain to Disney so that they don't make a decision like that again. We go October next year and I fully trust they won't pull a stunt like that again (maybe I am just hopeful). I'd be pretty upset if I were a passenger on that ship right now. There is always risk, but I wouldn't expect the captain to purposely to us into rough seas.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

sounds more fun than the Aquaduck....
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I wasn't on the ship.

However, no matter what decision DCL makes, there will be people who feel it is the wrong one. It is up to the captain (possibly in conjunction with shoreside "powers that be" to make the best decisions possible based on the current conditions and predictions. And part of the problem may be that the predictions are not always accurate.

Obviously, one alternative would have been to stay at sea and bring the ship in on Sunday. This would have been (at best) an inconvenience to 8000 guests--both those getting off the ship and those scheduled to get on. Another alternative might have been to dock somewhere else--Ft. Lauderdale??? Ships that were scheduled to dock there were stopping in Jacksonville on Friday (Holland America) and providing bus transportation to Lauderdale. I don't know whether docking there and transporting people would have been an option; with the transportation time involved, there would likely still be people missing flights, etc.

Is MCO operating on anything close to a normal schedule?

And we don't know what predictions the captain was relying on as compared to the conditions he actually encountered. My experience has been that Tom is one of the more cautious captains. He's not the best in terms of guest interaction, but I've never seen anything that made me question his decisions in handling the ship. And once again, he brought the ship and guests in safely....if not comfortably.

Yes, I've been on cruises affected by hurricanes--no matter what decisions are made, some of us will be unhappy. I'm truly sorry for your experience. Hope you have a safe trip home and are not following the path of the storm!

So well said! Not tring to dimiss the risks or how scary it was for those on board. But as those of us who have been affected by hurricanes and cruises, who remembers the 2004 season?, K is right, there will be very conflicting ideas of what should have been done and how the cruise line should handle the situaion. I sure must have been a rough night, but now many of those scheduled to get home today will and those anxiously awaiting their trip today will be able to board.

Just my two cents.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #34
newbydisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
it's really interesting to me the different perspectives people have of the exact same events.

I'm glad you guys made it back safe & sound, and so sorry you had such a rough night!

Sayhello
hmmm i am not seeing too many posts that are different perspectives..and the pm's i am getting as well all seem to be leaning towards the negative to very negative.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Just to add my two cents...there is a post on CC in the Carnival forum - someone on the Carnival ship that delayed it's PC arrival until tomorrow is miffed. So yep, there will be complaints no matter what decision a captain makes.

Choosing to cruise during hurricane season means taking the risk you will be in for a rocky ride.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
zacaronius
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieandmickey
We call Capt Tom, Capt Personality due to his lack of one, so I am not surprised by the lacking announcements That being said, I truly believe that Disney has some of the best sea captains out there. So sorry that you had a rough night, safe travels home.
Haha, so true. We have sailed under captain Tom a couple times and he does lack some personality but he is also an ol Norwegian Sea captain which for some reason just makes me trust him that much more. Tom is disneys goto captain, has been with them before they had their own ships. I'm glad that everyone made it back to land safely!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

I just spoke with my Mom who is getting off the Fantasy. She hadn't heard about the 25% off future cruise discount, but also was not able to complete her onboard booking because they returned the quote to her late last night. She is not sure she wants to cruise out of Port Canaveral next August in any event. Her last cruise on the Magic in 2010 was also uncomfortable and late when winds kept them from leaving CC. -- Suzanne
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #38
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

I am so glad that you all got through it safely! I bet the rest if the cruise made up for the crazy night! I have total faith in the DCL captains to keep everyone safe!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #39
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

A fellow poster friend from another board was on this Fantasy sailing. When I woke up a bit over an hour ago I saw a picture she had posted to Instagram of what appeared to be every passenger onboard in the atrium anxious to get the h-e-double-hockey-sticks OFF. Poor things. I wonder if anyone was kissing the ground in the terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Yuck! I'm glad you made it in safely! I remember an earlier thread where someone posted that they hoped for an experience like this. They thought it would be fun. I thought they were nuts and I reminded them that they wouldn't be the only one on board.

Otherwise, how was the cruise?

Mike
That would've been me and my hubby. Are we crazy? Possibly. I don't wish discomfort for others, only that if it's going to happen I'd like it to be us. Being on a ship big enough to safely navigate high seas as the lone passengers would be awesome but that's not real likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I wasn't on the ship.

However, no matter what decision DCL makes, there will be people who feel it is the wrong one. It is up to the captain (possibly in conjunction with shoreside "powers that be" to make the best decisions possible based on the current conditions and predictions. And part of the problem may be that the predictions are not always accurate.

Obviously, one alternative would have been to stay at sea and bring the ship in on Sunday. This would have been (at best) an inconvenience to 8000 guests--both those getting off the ship and those scheduled to get on. Another alternative might have been to dock somewhere else--Ft. Lauderdale??? Ships that were scheduled to dock there were stopping in Jacksonville on Friday (Holland America) and providing bus transportation to Lauderdale. I don't know whether docking there and transporting people would have been an option; with the transportation time involved, there would likely still be people missing flights, etc.

Is MCO operating on anything close to a normal schedule?

And we don't know what predictions the captain was relying on as compared to the conditions he actually encountered. My experience has been that Tom is one of the more cautious captains. He's not the best in terms of guest interaction, but I've never seen anything that made me question his decisions in handling the ship. And once again, he brought the ship and guests in safely....if not comfortably.

Yes, I've been on cruises affected by hurricanes--no matter what decisions are made, some of us will be unhappy. I'm truly sorry for your experience. Hope you have a safe trip home and are not following the path of the storm!
I've not been on a cruise ship in a big storm/big seas but I have to agree with what you said, K. I'm sorry for the passengers onboard who had a rough night and hate that people were scared or terrified. There's no question that DCL did NOT endanger anyones' lives. The ship can do what it did and much more. No question there. The choice came down to discomfort for the 4000 (or however many) passengers onboard for however many hours or inconvenience, anger, discomfort, and/or upset twice that number of people who had flights to rearrange, hotel accommodations to figure out, food, transportation, etc. DCL made the right call. Debarking passengers are back safely on their way home (not sure what flight schedules might have changed) with a heckuva tale to tell and embarking passengers will be onboard with a tale of their own from the very start.

As others have stated, the risk of hurricane season is part of the deal when cruising this time of year. It's later in the season but it's not over by a good piece yet.

Like I said, I've never been on a cruise ship in big seas or big storms. I have been on small vessels in big seas where the boat was pitching very violently and people all around me were sick. I've been on a 55' sailboat that was pitched (as sailboats do) and jumping 8 to 10 footers. That DID make me sick. Not fun but I survived and I went right back out on that boat the following weekend with no problems. My dad is a 24 year veteran of the the USNavy so I've heard stories of seas that will make you lay in the floor and beg for your mother. ((The North Sea and North Atlantic can change your perspective on life or so I hear.)) Those ships are smaller than the Fantasy and they came thru just fine. Ships are designed to function on seas bigger than anything the majority of the world ever sees.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityland View Post
With that being said, it seemed clear to even the most inexperienced person watching any weather report that the ship should not have made such risky decisions.
An inexperienced person would probably reach that conclusion. A captain with DECADES of experience on the sea could look at the same report and say, "No problem. It might get a little rough but the ship can handle it."

That same captain could wind up, since nature is not exactly predictable and can often change quickly, finding out later that decision was not the best one. At that point the ship is in the storm and, depending on its location, may have no other choice but to push on.

We are not privy to what information the Captain and ship's officers had, nor what conversations occurred, prior to the decision to push on to PC.

Could a mistake have been made here? Sure.

Do we know a mistake was made here? Not at all.

Could the Captain have been fooled by that fickle temptress, The Sea? Sure.

Bottom line, we are arm-chair quarterbacking decisions made by people far more experienced than ourselves.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacaronius View Post
Haha, so true. We have sailed under captain Tom a couple times and he does lack some personality but he is also an ol Norwegian Sea captain which for some reason just makes me trust him that much more. Tom is disneys goto captain, has been with them before they had their own ships. I'm glad that everyone made it back to land safely!
Exactly. I've not sailed with Capt. Tom but if he's a Norwegian Sea captain I'd be that much more confident in him, too. Those guys have seen seas that will make the average bear hit their knees and beg for mercy.
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids, 4/14 DLH/Disneyland, 9/14 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/14 DCL Wonder DD, 10/14 DCL Wonder DD

Other Adventures:

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #42
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbydisney View Post
hmmm i am not seeing too many posts that are different perspectives..and the pm's i am getting as well all seem to be leaning towards the negative to very negative.
I agree. I have yet to see one single post from someone who was on the Fantasy last night that was anything but terrified. I do agree that deciding to cruise during hurricane season comes with risks. However, the risks in my mind are risks that your plans may change(ports of calls, leaving and returning etc..) never that your life may be in danger(and regardless of what the captain said there were people on that ship that felt like their life was in danger!!!!)

I also agree that whatever decision Disney made some would be unhappy with it. Although I do not think Disney would have had to exaplain their decision to anyone if they had decided to delay the return by one day for the passangers safety and comfort. However, I do think they have ALOT of explaining to do with the decision that was made.

My heart goes out to those that were on Fantasty last night(especially those with small children).
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

We were with Capt Tom one year (on the Magic) when we left CC early because he didn't want us stuck there. It was rough seas that night but nothing like what the people on the Fantasy experienced.

I wonder if some of the decision looked at how some people would have trouble flying home on Sunday had they delayed the arrival. Specifically, those on the east coast might have flights cancelled and such

Whatever decision DCL makes, you can be sure that some are pleased they ploughed through the storm and others are unhappy. There's no winning when there's a hurricane.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #44
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
I agree. I have yet to see one single post from someone who was on the Fantasy last night that was anything but terrified. I do agree that deciding to cruise during hurricane season comes with risks. However, the risks in my mind are risks that your plans may change(ports of calls, leaving and returning etc..) never that your life may be in danger(and regardless of what the captain said there were people on that ship that felt like their life was in danger!!!!)

I also agree that whatever decision Disney made some would be unhappy with it. Although I do not think Disney would have had to exaplain their decision to anyone if they had decided to delay the return by one day for the passangers safety and comfort. However, I do think they have ALOT of explaining to do with the decision that was made.

My heart goes out to those that were on Fantasty last night(especially those with small children).
I disagree. I don't believe for a moment that the passengers were in danger. Those who have no knowledge of seas like were experienced last night were terrified, no doubt, but that comes from fear of the unknown. What is and what are perceived are two entirely different things. My nephew who has aspergers believes his life is in danger during fireworks shows but it doesn't make the fireworks shows an actual risk to his life.

If Disney had delayed docking they most certainly would have had to explain themselves to all the cruisers who paid for a 7-nigh cruise and were receiving a 6-night. You don't think those people would've been upset or demand compensation?

Again, sometimes you just gotta pick the lesser of the evils. The passengers onboard last night were uncomfortable and many were scared but a few hours of discomfort avoids a train-wreck of a mess to handle. I think they did the right thing.

Other Adventures:

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #45
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
There's no winning when there's a hurricane.
Truer words....

Other Adventures:

Future Adventures:
5/15 DCL Wonder WBPC
9/15 DCL Dream w/friends
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: