Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
dstein12
Earning My Ears

We were on the Magic during a hurricane and Captain Tom could not have been better. I will never forget that night and he keep us updated and reassured about our situation. We had some passengers with small injuries from falls because they did not listen to Captain Tom but overall could have been a lot worse. He got us into port at 12 a.m. Disney then bussed us to the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin and put us up for two days until they were able to help us reschedule a new flight home. They also gave us food credit for those days. I can not say enough about how well we were treated and how scared we were. But I trust Disney and have sailed 3X since and will be sailing again in Jan. if we make it thru Sandy O.k. But I have sailed many cruise lines and no other company have ever earned my trust or business like DCL. I love Captain Tom and trust him and his crew with my family. Glad you make it home safe and sound.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildel1021 View Post
Sorry you had a rough night.....solid ground awaits you....I just looked at the marinetime website and it looks like the Dream is not far you.
Is the dream coming in? I see them still in the Bahamas? They arent due in until tomorrow right?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
candygirl83
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you guys made it to land safe!! I can't even imagine
Old 10-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing that people are being asked to stay in their staterooms because there's damage in the public areas. I wonder how much that will delay things. That must have been pretty scary.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
AmandaRG
Addict-in-training for all things Disney!

Glad you made it in safely, even though it was scary!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie321 View Post
Is the dream coming in? I see them still in the Bahamas? They arent due in until tomorrow right?
The Dream is due in tomorrow, by which time the worst part of the storm is predicted to have moved much farther north. They shouldn't have the creative experience that the Fantasy had.

Carnival announced yesterday that their Saturday docking at PC would be delayed until Sunday.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

I still need to digest just how terrifying last night was, but I'm very disappointed in the captain and Disney for the decisions made. First, we should not have approached so close to the storm. Carnival made the correct decision to stay away and just delay the cruises by one day. Disney should have done the same. It was clear Disney was more concerned with getting us back to port canaveral than it was with passenger comfort. I have been on many cruises and many storms, including 100mph winds. I have never felt a ship shake like this. It was literally the equivalent of some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced on a plane. The shops are a mess, everything fell off our shelves, glasses went flying. As a lover of the amazing feats these ships can do, I'm sure we were never in actual danger (my understanding is the ships can list 45 degrees), but I want to convey how absolutely horrible the motion was.

Second, lets talk about the captain. He doesn't know how to tell people that everything is ok. During dinner, the ship was rocking a bit (but boy was that nothing compared to what the night would hold), and the captain came on and said essentially: hey, it's rocky - be careful. The dining room erupted in laughter, shocked by the captains seeming inability to convey what needed to conveyed - that everything would be ok, don't worry. 5 minutes later, the cruise director came on to say he was with the captain and our safety was priority number 1. This should have come from the captain, but oh well.

Lets now fast forward to around 12:45. The ship just went through something fierce. I don't know how far we listed, but we had a really bad couple waves. And it's not just listing - like I said it felt like turbulence. The captain come on, over the speakers in the stateroom to say to stay in your stateroom the waves are bad. 5 minutes later (someone must have told the captain that he needed to do more to reassure the passengers), he comes on again to say the ship is safe.

Again, I don't doubt that the ship was safe (hey, we made it), but we should have never gone through seas like that - not when we could have just delayed our return. Disney's number 1 priority may have been safety, but it was not comfort and everyone on this ship (including crew) was terrified last night. Disney/Captain made a poor choice last night. I have to believe that if they knew how bad it was going to be, they would have made a different decision.

(And, so people don't accuse me of just selfishly wanting another day on board, I have something I have to be at back home on Sunday, and missing it would be very bad - that is the one good thing about going through that storm.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
GoofyDisneyDaddy
Mouseketeer

BTW, they just offered us 25% off future cruise or trip to WDW. I appreciate the offer, and will take advantage of it. But i still firmly believe we should not have gone through that storm. It was a bad decision, and i think Disney know it was.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

It's really interesting to me the different perspectives people have of the exact same events.

I'm glad you guys made it back safe & sound, and so sorry you had such a rough night!

Sayhello
Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
Weedy
DIS Veteran

I don't think there is any damage to the ship. It's for safety reasons. They don't need people wandering around with the seas so rough.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I wasn't on the ship.

However, no matter what decision DCL makes, there will be people who feel it is the wrong one. It is up to the captain (possibly in conjunction with shoreside "powers that be" to make the best decisions possible based on the current conditions and predictions. And part of the problem may be that the predictions are not always accurate.

Obviously, one alternative would have been to stay at sea and bring the ship in on Sunday. This would have been (at best) an inconvenience to 8000 guests--both those getting off the ship and those scheduled to get on. Another alternative might have been to dock somewhere else--Ft. Lauderdale??? Ships that were scheduled to dock there were stopping in Jacksonville on Friday (Holland America) and providing bus transportation to Lauderdale. I don't know whether docking there and transporting people would have been an option; with the transportation time involved, there would likely still be people missing flights, etc.

Is MCO operating on anything close to a normal schedule?

And we don't know what predictions the captain was relying on as compared to the conditions he actually encountered. My experience has been that Tom is one of the more cautious captains. He's not the best in terms of guest interaction, but I've never seen anything that made me question his decisions in handling the ship. And once again, he brought the ship and guests in safely....if not comfortably.

Yes, I've been on cruises affected by hurricanes--no matter what decisions are made, some of us will be unhappy. I'm truly sorry for your experience. Hope you have a safe trip home and are not following the path of the storm!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
ruley3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
It's really interesting to me the different perspectives people have of the exact same events.

I'm glad you guys made it back safe & sound, and so sorry you had such a rough night!

Sayhello

Sorry as well for the rough night but glad everyone is safe and back in Florida!!! Hurricane season always a gamble......

Gold Member "Vacation to save Sanity"

Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

Wow glad y'all are safe
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

I have to agree that there is an element of risk that you accept when booking in Hurricane season. Even if it is in the traditionally inactive times (like late October.)

With that being said, it seemed clear to even the most inexperienced person watching any weather report that the ship should not have made such risky decisions.

To what end I would ask ...

1) Regardless of the fact that "the ship can do it", it still doesn't make it a good idea. The Unsinkable Molly Brown ... enough said.

2) Even if the ship sustains no damage, is it really a good idea to have people and things flying about?

3) Assuming that no one gets injured and that the ship is perfectly safe, what is gained? The passengers are miserable and scared.

Someone is really going to have to explain the logic behind this decision before it will even begin to make a shred of sense to me.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
minnieandmickey
Queen of the run on sentence!

We call Capt Tom, Capt Personality due to his lack of one, so I am not surprised by the lacking announcements That being said, I truly believe that Disney has some of the best sea captains out there. So sorry that you had a rough night, safe travels home.
My life at Disney: DL - started in 1978 too many times to count. First time AP holder in 2012, spent a total of 14 days! WDW- 10th anniversary- May 1999(Dixie Landings), 2005(off site),2006(POP/POFQ),2007(WLV),2008(AKV),2011(OKW) DCL- 3 day Bahamas Wonder 2002, 4 Day Bahamas Wonder 2006, 7 day Western Caribbean Magic 2007, 20 days on the Magic 2008, B2B Panama Canal and 5 day double dip, Sarah's gradapalooza 4 day Bahamas on the Dream and 7 Day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2011, DLP, October 2013
Up next Best Aunt and Uncle WDW/DCL, taking DNiece on her first trip! November 2014, Miami Western Caribbean October 2015 B2B Fantasy KK Reunion Cruise, Eastern Caribbean, October 2015
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: