Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Monorail Questions

Firstly I know there is no realistic chance or a monorail expansion. I was just wondering if the rumor that footings were put down for a potential station to service DHS and beyond was put down by Disney back in the day. I heard this I think on these boards and am merely curious to hear of this was true or not.
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10 View Post
Firstly I know there is no realistic chance or a monorail expansion. I was just wondering if the rumor that footings were put down for a potential station to service DHS and beyond was put down by Disney back in the day. I heard this I think on these boards and am merely curious to hear of this was true or not.
The rumor of "monorail footers in place in World Showcase" has been repeated over and over. However, I've never read any proof of this story, and I personally do not believe it. It doesn't make sense. Where would such a monorail line go? (The Studios park did not come until the end of the 1980s.) Why would Disney spend the money on expensive foundations in the soggy soil of WDW without actually putting up the pylons and beams?

There's also the rumor that the black squares on the Swan and Dolphin are knock-out panels for the monorail to go through. That story has been thoroughly discredited.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar
The rumor of "monorail footers in place in World Showcase" has been repeated over and over. However, I've never read any proof of this story, and I personally do not believe it. It doesn't make sense. Where would such a monorail line go? (The Studios park did not come until the end of the 1980s.) Why would Disney spend the money on expensive foundations in the soggy soil of WDW without actually putting up the pylons and beams?

There's also the rumor that the black squares on the Swan and Dolphin are knock-out panels for the monorail to go through. That story has been thoroughly discredited.
Well, the well documented plan was to go through world show case and over to downtown. Not sure if they actually laid footers as a part of the construction.

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
MassJester

Have camera -- will travel

I agree that it isn't likely to ever happen--but wouldn't it be wonderful?

A lot of visits to different resorts since 1983 DVC Member - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
armed and dangerous with a Canon 5D Mark II -- my photo gallery at: http://massjester.zenfolio.com/
MassJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts View Post
Well, the well documented plan was to go through world show case and over to downtown. Not sure if they actually laid footers as a part of the construction.
Please provide a link to the "well documented plan was to go through world show case and over to downtown." If the route through World Showcase is well-documented, it should be easy to provide a link or at least to cite a credible newspaper or magazine article.

A direct monorail route from the front of Epcot to Downtown Disney would not need to go through World Showcase. While the monorail looks good in Future World, it would be at complete odds with the traditional styles of the World Showcase pavilions. It would detract terribly from the feeling of being somewhere else on the globe. It would make no sense.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:

1) I have never seen such, but I guess it could be.
2) However, when MK and Epcot were being built, there was no large DTD.
3) It was The Disney Village Marketplace.
. . . today's marketplace
. . . started at Chef Mickey's restaurant (Rain Forest)
. . . shopping and eating in the middle
. . . wrapped-around to Princess Lilly (Fulton's)
4) I don't think today's large Downtown Disney was visualized.

NOTE: Again, I could be mistaken, but the books I have read didn't
include a huge DTD area, so I am wondering if a monorail spur would
have been in the planning.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
MassJester

Since we're on the subject, could someone refresh my memory as to why they won't expand the system? Is it a cost and efficiency issue? I don't remember.

A lot of visits to different resorts since 1983 DVC Member - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
armed and dangerous with a Canon 5D Mark II -- my photo gallery at: http://massjester.zenfolio.com/
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Cost.

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

I d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Please provide a link to the "well documented plan was to go through world show case and over to downtown." If the route through World Showcase is well-documented, it should be easy to provide a link or at least to cite a credible newspaper or magazine article.

A direct monorail route from the front of Epcot to Downtown Disney would not need to go through World Showcase. While the monorail looks good in Future World, it would be at complete odds with the traditional styles of the World Showcase pavilions. It would detract terribly from the feeling of being somewhere else on the globe. It would make no sense.
I dont know about cutting through world showcase but I do know a monorail to downtown (or the Disney village as it was known) was in the works as ive seen models of the mono beams snaking through the village.

Thanks for all the responses too. I find the topic of the monorail, and past plans for the property very interesting. I had also heard a rumor relates to this, that Disney had considered a monorail expansion in the late 90's early 2000's. But due to 9/11 and the tourism downturn it never happened. Don't know how true it is though
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
MassJester

Here is a good link. Not sure if be information is accurate, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.yesterland.com/monoraillegends.html

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

At some point they will try to do some new "mass transit" type system. That could be the monorail...another rail or PRT system...or a combination of all of the above.

I have no doubt that they kick around the monorail expansion often...and it is always defeated by cost that goes purely to overhead...not to revenue generating units...
I also know that they have to reduce their staffing longterm...and transportation is a huge staff burden.

Their options there are either a. outsource or b. expand automated options
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassJester View Post
Here is a good link. Not sure if be information is accurate, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.yesterland.com/monoraillegends.html
~OMG. I had no idea the Vegas monorail cost $654,000,000, that's $149,000,000 per mile!!! Um, that was almost a decade ago, an opportunity was definitely missed! Who knew things would become this expensive???

~I can't wait for Disney to fix the monorail. I've given up on a monorail expansion, but there is always the option of a surface level light rail, it's way cheaper!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #13
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I'm not sure how far the "planning" went for the WDW monorail system, but there is an easement listed for a monorail right of way that is included n the legal paper work for SSR owners. So at one time, it was surveyed out and legal easement documented as part of the the old Disney Village Resort property. When that property was repurposed as SSR the easement remained part of the legal property. Likely it will never be built, but the easement it still on the books.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
nuts
Lover of Disney, Family Guy, and all around good person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar

Plenty of resources already provided. But, as I said, not sure if they actually laid any footers.

nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Plenty of resources already provided. But, as I said, not sure if they actually laid any footers.
Plenty? Any?

What "resources already provided" show a monorail through World Showcase to Downtown Disney?

Either I'm missing something, or there's not real such proof here.

The Yesterland article includes a photo of a model with elevated tracks and small monorails or some sort of new People Mover on those tracks. But there's nothing about a route through World Showcase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: