Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

New Jiko Menu... opinions please!

I just looked at the updated Jiko menu on Allears and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Nothing sounds that good to me or to DH. We even thought about switching over to Artist Point, but Jiko is in our top three. We love it. Has anyone been recently and had anything they loved?
Thanks
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick
I just looked at the updated Jiko menu on Allears and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Nothing sounds that good to me or to DH. We even thought about switching over to Artist Point, but Jiko is in our top three. We love it. Has anyone been recently and had anything they loved?
Thanks
Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant. We were there 3 weeks ago, looks like right before the new menu change. Everything we had except for dessert is still in the menu. We went during the F&W Festival so DH and I shared everything. We had the cheese plate, bobotie rolls, peri peri chicken, 2 baskets of bread (just can't help it, it's so good!) and dessert which I can't remember what it was now. I had the lemon verbena tea with dessert. It was all fantastic as usual!!
If you are on the dining plan this might not work, but you could order just appetizers, salads, etc and desserts. We've done this before.
I think the service, atmosphere, wines, etc are worth it alone to go!! With a little creativity I think you can come up with a meal you would enjoy and wouldn't skip it just because you aren't thrilled with the entree selections. Plus they are pretty flexible adapting a dish to your tastes so that is something to keep in mind as well.
Hope you get to enjoy Jiko!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Jiko is maybe the best restaraunt on Disney property

We had the beef short ribs and filet mignon both still on the menu and were incredible

Also, our apps, the taste of africa and cheese plate were amazing. heres our review

http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/En...ing_Place.html

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

The new menu looks really exciting to me. We were planning on skipping Jiko this year even though it's our favorite, but I think we might have to pop in to the lounge for some duck confit flatbread at the very least.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Looks very close to what it was in June. Don't see any major changes.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant. We were there 3 weeks ago, looks like right before the new menu change. Everything we had except for dessert is still in the menu. We went during the F&W Festival so DH and I shared everything. We had the cheese plate, bobotie rolls, peri peri chicken, 2 baskets of bread (just can't help it, it's so good!) and dessert which I can't remember what it was now. I had the lemon verbena tea with dessert. It was all fantastic as usual!!
If you are on the dining plan this might not work, but you could order just appetizers, salads, etc and desserts. We've done this before.
I think the service, atmosphere, wines, etc are worth it alone to go!! With a little creativity I think you can come up with a meal you would enjoy and wouldn't skip it just because you aren't thrilled with the entree selections. Plus they are pretty flexible adapting a dish to your tastes so that is something to keep in mind as well.
Hope you get to enjoy Jiko!
You're right. We are on the dxdp, but we will make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Jiko is maybe the best restaraunt on Disney property

We had the beef short ribs and filet mignon both still on the menu and were incredible

Also, our apps, the taste of africa and cheese plate were amazing. heres our review

http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/En...ing_Place.html
Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try the cheese plate this time! We have had both the filet and the short ribs on previous trips, and they were delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
The new menu looks really exciting to me. We were planning on skipping Jiko this year even though it's our favorite, but I think we might have to pop in to the lounge for some duck confit flatbread at the very least.
Everyone has different tastes. I'm sure everything is great. I'm leaning toward the chicken... even though I swore I would never order chicken in D-World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Looks very close to what it was in June. Don't see any major changes.
I had my eye on a shrimp curry dish that is no longer being offered. I think that's why I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm not that fond of peas, mushrooms, or peanuts and they all seem to be prevalent in Jiko's dishes. (I'm really not that picky though...seriously. haha)
heatherandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try the cheese plate this time! We have had both the filet and the short ribs on previous trips, and they were delish!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9169332&type=3

Here are some photos of food on our facebook page

the cheese plate is there

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
I had my eye on a shrimp curry dish that is no longer being offered. I think that's why I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm not that fond of peas, mushrooms, or peanuts and they all seem to be prevalent in Jiko's dishes. (I'm really not that picky though...seriously. haha)
For what it's worth, the only thing I've ever had at Jiko that I didn't love was that shrimp curry dish. Prior to that, I had never tasted a curry I didn't like, but I thought it was really strange. Like you said, though, everybody has different tastes.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I'm always skeptical about chicken in Disney but I must say, the peri peri chicken at Jiko was the most tender, flavorful I've ever had... anywhere!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
CoolDisneyCat
DVC member - BCV

I was disappointed to see the shrimp curry dish gone from Jiko's menu. It was my favorite food at any Disney restaurants.

But... I've never had anything at Jiko I didn't like.

Some of the new dishes sound very good. I'm betting they are delicious!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

In a moment of weakness, I was able to convince picky eaters DW and (adult) DD to go to Jiko for me (the foodie).

Even as we were seated and examining the menus DW remarked "Are you sure I agreed to come here?" Fast forward to the end of the story: We all loved it.
We shared a cheese plate as an app, and they both had the filet that they raved about. Right this minute I don't recall what I ordered, but it was delicious.
The service was excellent, and it was a nice meal for adults in an atmosphere on the low-key side (for a WDW eatery). I'm sure we'll be returning on future trips.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
anotherhb
Easy on the Ears

I went mid-Oct and loved the duck confit flatbread and the wild boar tenderloin!
anotherhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

I went in September. I enjoyed the meal but was a little disappointed that the coconut bread pudding and one last cup desserts were off the menu.
We are going again in January as part of the Wanyama Safari
MLinDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLinDisney
I went in September. I enjoyed the meal but was a little disappointed that the coconut bread pudding and one last cup desserts were off the menu.
We are going again in January as part of the Wanyama Safari
Keep in mind that menu is limited and served family style

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Keep in mind that menu is limited and served family style
I guess it could be considered limited in that it's a prix fixe. It's a bountiful spread. Appetizers, sides, main dishes, desserts, you don't go away hungry. The main dish course includes a serving of chicken, fish, and beef for everyone at the table. The dessert course is served plated, but there are 3 or 4 tasting portions of desserts to enjoy. You get to try far more dishes than you probably would on a typical visit to the restaurant.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: