Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
ahr023
Earning My Ears

Need a seasoned pro to check out our ADRs

Heading to WDW for our first time on Christmas night. We will have 5 days in the parks 12/26-12/30 then a half day (12/31) which may or may not be a park day.
Given that it's the busiest week of the year I have made some ADRs to be safe but this trip was a spontaneous decision so I didn't do too much research ahead of time. Would love advice on whether or not to keep it, dump it and what else I should try to get.
We have the DDP and this is our family: Dad (happy with anything), Mom (me- foodie but also want kids to be happy), 5 year old daughter (very particular eater loves steak - any kids menu steaks? ) and 2 year old daughter who will eat pretty well most of the time.

Breakfast ADRs:
1900 Park Fare (thinking of canceling this one)

Lunch ADRs:
Cinderella's Royal Table (lucked into this for our first day, definitely keeping)
Coral Reef
Chef Mickey's

Dinner ADRs:
Chef de France (my pick, definitely keeping)
Boma (unsure about this, mainly chosen due to night time animal watching, stories for kids and reviews of the Christmas decorations there).

Thank you!!
ahr023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

I'm not an expert by any means. And I've never done a character meal, so I can't comment on that. However, there were a few things I wanted to mention.

Chefs de France -- Please check the thread by Disjunky (my niece's husband) titled "Chefs, you let me down." They have always raved about Chefs; we went once and didn't care for it. But now he is no longer raving about it. He was quite disappointed.

Coral Reef -- You go here for the experience of the aquarium, not the food. Service is known to be slow and food is mediocre.

Boma -- We love this. Not only is there great food but there is so much to see here. After dinner we go out to the viewing area to see some of the animals. An absolute must for every trip.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We liked Chef Mickeys, Coral Reef and Boma...as did our kids and 2/3 are picky eaters. We don't do too many breakfasts...only ever done 3 (Olivias and Whispering Canyon that were good and CRT,which was a complete waste of money for a breakfast of pastries and fruit basically. Lunch at CRT should be better). We also have Chefs De France booked for our next trip and it will be our 1st visit. My SIL and her family went this past summer and loved it.

One suggestion, for your little steak eater, is Le Cellier...if you can get it...even a lunch there might be good and lunch was just 1 TS where dinner is 2 TS...though they are changing lunch to 2 TS as well...I am not sure when.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
tinx35124
Earning My Ears

I'm a little picky myself and Boma just didn't get it. Although I did really enjoy the Zebra Domes. So for DD I would probably reconsider this one. Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun.
Coral Reef I've read so many mixed reviews, I haven't tried it yet.
Teppan Edo is another choice, your typical hibachi menu.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

You have ADR;s for more meals than you have credits. The DDP is based on nights not total days. So if I figured correctly you are there 5 nights, 6 days so you have 5 TS, 5 CS and 5 snack credits total per person - none for your 2 yo.
You have 6 ADR's and CRT is 2 TS credits. Are you planning to pay OOP?
I would keep 1900 PF, I think your girls will love it. Also keep CRT for them. I have not been to Boma's, it just doesn't appeal to me, but many love it.
Good job relatively late in obtaining ADR's.
Have Fun
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Chefs de France -- Please check the thread by Disjunky (my niece's husband) titled "Chefs, you let me down." They have always raved about Chefs; we went once and didn't care for it. But now he is no longer raving about it. He was quite disappointed..
We love Chefs and have never had a bad meal there. I definitely would not write off a restaurant after one bad experience. Not sure many restaurants are perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Boma -- We love this. Not only is there great food but there is so much to see here. After dinner we go out to the viewing area to see some of the animals. An absolute must for every trip.
Agreed, we love Boma as well. Also, AKL is a beautiful lodge that is worth visiting even without the animals. Check out the gift shop. It has a few items unique to AKL.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

While not an "expert," I think your choices look good. We LOVE Chef's de France. Did you happen do get your ADR when Remy will make an appearance? He is so cute!

Also, you will be guaranteed to see the "Fab 5" and the princesses during the busiest week of the year. This will save you hours in line at the parks!

Have fun!
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
soontobewed07
DIS Veteran

By no means an expert but we do travel with a now 5 year old who has been 6 times. He's a tad spoiled because of his mommy and daddys love of Disney LOL

Here is my bit of advice:

Cancel 1900PF you are going to see Cindy at the castle even though I like 1900PF better than CRT the experience is rare especially around the holidays.

As for Boma it is one of our favorites but keep in mind if its cold the animals will NOT be out! We also tend toward breakfast because it's cheaper and we pay OOP even if on the dining plan.

Keep in mind the parks fill up fast at Christmas and the parks can close if they are at capacity which happens often that week.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
gabzee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobewed07 View Post
Here is my bit of advice:

Cancel 1900PF you are going to see Cindy at the castle even though I like 1900PF better than CRT the experience is rare especially around the holidays.
1900 Park is a fantastic option for breakfast. The food is great as well as the character interaction... one of our favorite character breakfasts on property. 1900 Park has Pooh, Tigger, Alice, Mad Hatter, and Mary Poppins for breakfast. They have Cinderella, Prince Charming, Step Sisters, and Stepmother for DINNER! Character wise you would not overlap since you are going to 1900 for breakfast. I would 100% keep this.

I would suggest getting rid of Coral Reef and switching it to another restaurant in the World Showcase (Via Napoli is fabulous!). The food is pretty bad and the service isn't better.

We don't love the food at Chef Mickey for lunch or dinner (we can deal with breakfast but still not our favorite) but I assume you are going to see the Fab 5. I would also take into account the fact that you will be leaving the park to go to lunch and it will just get busier and busier.

gabzee is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: