DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #31
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
Would you recommend Robet Irvine's with kids?
it's not at wdw and there's a bar attached.

maybe if the kids are extremely well-behaved...but i'd be wary.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #32
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

DHubby and Me loved the British Open Pub, it in the same shopping Plaza as, EAT!

Very cozy, great Beer selection it being a British Pub.

Sunday nights....Lobster Pot Pie to die for....

DH had the Fish and Chips....of course,

We had the Soft Hot Pretzel and mustard for an appetizer...great....

We also had lunch outdoors at the Salt Dog, very nice.
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #33
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
it's not at wdw and there's a bar attached.

maybe if the kids are extremely well-behaved...but i'd be wary.
Thanks for the info, sounds like we are going to pass on visiting there with the kids.

mickeyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #34
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

We just got back from 3 nights. My niece has a peanut allergy, so we always have to call ahead to make sure restaurants don't use peanut oil or have peanuts or other nuts on the table.

Note to the poster above who only mentioned chain restaurants with a gluten-free need -- Most of the restaurants in HHI are independent. Some of them have gluten-free menus. So call ahead if you have special needs, they may be able to accommodate you.

The only place we could not eat was One Hot Mama's -- they fry in peanut oil. I ate there last year and was looking forward to their ribs again but that was out. We called Skull Creek Boathouse but weren't comfortable with the answer we got on the phone to our questions about how they handled peanut allergies, so we skipped it. Since we couldn't do One Hot Mama's, we did The Smokehouse instead, and service was very quick, bbq was just ok, but there was a small issue on the bill that just soured me. It was really just a $1-2 issue on a $100+ tab, but the way it was handled by our waiter (whose gratuity was already added due to the size of our party) means I won't go back.

Hudsons -- great food. And they were great on the phone with us in regards to allergies, too.

Also had a good meal at Crazy Crab, the one right as you come on to HHI.

Pizza at Guiseppi's right near the Disney resort was ok and they give a discount with your room key. I had a 'weggie" sandwich which I think I liked more than those in our group who got pizza.

On past trips to HHI I've been to Low Country Backyard and I can't recommend their Shrimp & Grits enough!!!

Salty Dog Cafe is a touristy spot that sells a LOT of t-shirts and has about three different restaurants serving variations on the same theme. It's ok, Location is nice if you can eat outside. Don't forget there's a $5 charge per car to enter Sea Pines, so make a day of it and do Salty Dog and Harbour Town on the same day and do the lighthouse there, maybe book a dolphin tour or other boat from there.

JAZZ CORNER! Make reservations. Adults only.

Also British Open Pub. Wish we could have gone there this trip.

Hubby and I like Bomboras Grille for beers.

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #35
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStarWisher View Post
What we do at One Hot Mama's is get the takeout meal. For $19.99 you get a meal that feeds 4. If I remember correctly, it's one meat and 2 sides. Great BBQ reasonably priced without the restaurant atmosphere.

I second Skull Creek Boathouse! This was our family's favorite meal on our last trip. We will definitely be back.

We also loved Dye's Gullah Fixin's. We ate there for the lunch buffet and everything was heavenly. I just noticed that she has a new location and only serves takeout now. On our last trip, she told us she was planning this, but now that's it's happened, I'm so disappointed. I wanted that lunch buffet again so badly!!!!

We also get Giuseppi's Pizza for the first night since we are arriving later and just want takeout and we have to pick up groceries at the Piggly Wiggly next door.

Another great one that I don't hear much about is the Chart House. My DH and I ate there on our 20th anniversary a couple of years ago and really liked it.

We also usually try to hit Steamer Seafood. The owner is an alumni from the same college we graduated from, and there's all kinds of WKU references in the restaurant. The food was good, but I think we go more for the feeling of home while on vacation.

I really want to try Roastfish and Cornbread, Alexander's, and the Sea Shack.
Dye's is in a new location ( and one right near the resort and much easier to find) and she is still serving a "dine in" meal. I do not think she is serving a buffet however. My partner Lisa does her website. It is a much smaller location with less overhead....allowing her to stay in business. She came REALLY close to not being able to stay open at all.

Linda
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #36
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlowing View Post

Salty Dog Cafe is a touristy spot that sells a LOT of t-shirts and has about three different restaurants serving variations on the same theme. It's ok, Location is nice if you can eat outside. Don't forget there's a $5 charge per car to enter Sea Pines, so make a day of it and do Salty Dog and Harbour Town on the same day and do the lighthouse there, maybe book a dolphin tour or other boat from there.

[.
Is there somewhere else other than Salty Dog Cafe that you would recommend eating at at Sea Pines?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #37
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there somewhere else other than Salty Dog Cafe that you would recommend eating at at Sea Pines?
Yes. Truffles Cafe in the Plantation Shopping Center is one of may favorites (I live in Sea Pines part of the year). It's on the same road that leads to Harbour Town.

You can check the Sea Pines website for activities. Depending on when you go there's a lot to do and explore. The other big activity option is a trail ride, pony ride or visit the small petting zoo at the Lawton Stables. There are good Kayak tours out of South Beach too.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #38
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do most of these places take reservations? Worried about going in June and the wait time for a larger party.

Where did you purchase the fresh shrimp?

Would you recommend Robet Irvine's with kids? My DD loves to watch him on TV that might be a great spot to celebrate my MIL birthday while we are down there.
Dinner there is veeeeery leisurely. I think dh and I were there for about 2 hours altogether. Food was great though. Try and do a date night if you can!
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #39
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
Yes. Truffles Cafe in the Plantation Shopping Center is one of may favorites (I live in Sea Pines part of the year). It's on the same road that leads to Harbour Town.

You can check the Sea Pines website for activities. Depending on when you go there's a lot to do and explore. The other big activity option is a trail ride, pony ride or visit the small petting zoo at the Lawton Stables. There are good Kayak tours out of South Beach too.
Thank you, I am going to have to check out the Sea Pines Website for activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
Dinner there is veeeeery leisurely. I think dh and I were there for about 2 hours altogether. Food was great though. Try and do a date night if you can!
I am sure my in-laws would love to watch the kids one night for us to go on a date night. But I would feel guilty being on a family vacation and not all being together. But that does sound tempting...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
Massillon Dad
Mouseketeer

Roastfish and Cornbread

amazing restaurant...if going for dinner wait may be 3 hours ....its just that good!
Massillon Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC1861 View Post
Dye's is in a new location ( and one right near the resort and much easier to find) and she is still serving a "dine in" meal. I do not think she is serving a buffet however. My partner Lisa does her website. It is a much smaller location with less overhead....allowing her to stay in business. She came REALLY close to not being able to stay open at all.

Linda
Thanks for the info! Just went to her website, and it shows a lunch buffet served 11-3 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and 11-2 on Fridays. I am hoping this is accurate. The lunch buffet was amazing!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
LJC1861
DIS Veteran
Suffers from a Tag Fairy Complex

Yes, the buffet option was just added back in.

Dye is an amazing lady, and I am glad she found a way to stay open. We have not yet been to her new location, but will get there when we are down in September.

Her website has undergone so many changes in the last few weeks and my partner Lisa has been working hard on keeping up.

When you do go, please tell her that Linda and Lisa said hello!

Linda

Last edited by LJC1861; 01-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.
LJC1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #43
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC1861 View Post
Yes, the buffet option was just added back in.

Dye is an amazing lady, and I am glad she found a way to stay open. We have not yet been to her new location, but will get there when we are down in September.

Her website has undergone so many changes in the last few weeks and my partner Lisa has been working hard on keeping up.

When you do go, please tell her that Linda and Lisa said hello!

Linda
Yeah!!! That's good to know. Can't wait for June to get here so I can eat some more of her deliciuos collard greens! I'll tell her you said hi.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: