Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer

Which is the quietest resort-AKL, Poly or WL?

People talk about the walls being paper thin. Is it the same for all resorts or are some better than others?
Thanks!!

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at any of the three you mentioned. But I have stayed at ASsp, BC, CBR, POR and POFQ and I would say none of them had paper thin walls. Not even close.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer

Thanks, POR and POFQ are also options, but we wanted a balcony. We stayed at Pop last time and the walls weren't that bad, only heard one alarm go off one of the days.
I just don't want to pay Poly prices if it's that bad there.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

I follow the Official threads for those 3 resorts and have never seen anyone complain about thin walls. Check them out for yourself.

AKL
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2961001
Poly
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2985839
WL
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2969675
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

I'm trying to remember any stay at Disney where noise was an issue. The only times I can think of when I could even hear the people in the room next to us were instances when we had a connecting room. I think, I remember hearing a baby cry the last time we were at AKL, but it was very short lived. I remember once at BWV hearing what sounded like someone moving furniture. I've also heard brief excitement from kids in the room next to us at OKW.

None of these instances were terribly loud, and I have pretty sensitive hearing.

I've stayed in a poorly insulated hotel before, it was not a good experience. We referred to the family next to us as the "yellers." It wasn't an angry yell, some people just don't have an inside voice and this was a whole family that lacked one. Thankfully, they moved shortly after we checked in. We probably would have heard faint noises had the people been speaking at a normal decibel level, but with the "yellers" it was like they were in our room.

I've never had a similar experience at Disney and I've stayed at both AKL and the Poly. I would just request that your room doesn't have a door connecting to the next room, and even then it's never been a great nuisance to us when we did.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Can't speak for AKL or Poly, but the walls at WL seemed just fine! When we were in our room, we didn't hear any hallway or neighbor noise.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at all 3 and never had any trouble with noise at any of them.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I don't think its the walls as much as whether or not your room has a connecting door. We had one at the poly and the sound from their room carried through the door. (Including a crying baby.) Just stayed at the YC with no connecting door and it was virtually sound proof. All YC rooms have balconies by the way.
Sweettears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
I don't think its the walls as much as whether or not your room has a connecting door. We had one at the poly and the sound from their room carried through the door. (Including a crying baby.) Just stayed at the YC with no connecting door and it was virtually sound proof. All YC rooms have balconies by the way.
Agree 100%!! The worst stay we had, as far as noise was concerned, was at the Polynesian. Stayed in Tokelau, second floor. Great spot. But, our room had a connecting door!! We had two different families there during our stay. The first family was a bit louder than normal...got louder as their time went on. But, they were there for just 3 nights. The next family??? OMG!!! Incredible. I don't know if someone had a hearing issue or if they were just very loud talkers, but we knew every single thing that happened next door!!! I finally had it when junior started telling nana, on the phone, about their day. I doubt nana needed the phone to hear him...it was as if he was yelling in my ear. He must have been standing right next to that connecting door!!!
So....I stood close to it, and yelled at my dd, 'Honey, use your indoor voice..there are people around us who don't need to hear you!!!' Now my dd hadn't even opened her mouth. But the neighbors seemed to have taken the less than subtle hint!!! They were much quieter. AND?? I quietly opened my door, stuffed a towel along the bottom and shut it again, and relocked it. That helped a bit as well.

I have stayed at...Pop, ASMusic, POR, S/D, Polynesian, CR, BLT, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKL, Kidani, VWL...I have yet to notice any difference in how thick the walls are. The one thing I do consistently do notice??? Toilet flushing from either next door or above. But, if you just close your bathroom door, it's barely audible. You do tend to hear people passing by your door more with interior hallways though.

Choose a resort based on it's theming and such..not it's wall thickness.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!! That makes me feel better. The reviews were off of Trip Advisor, and I believe people on here more. People here can be brutally honest, which is helpful when trying to plan.
Thanks again!!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
MarcyMouse
Mouseketeer

The values definitely have paper thin walls. We couldn't stand Pop because of all the voices/toilet flushing/people walking by. The mods have been better, and deluxes the most quiet, in our opinion.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

The Unofficial Guide rates the Poly poorly for noise but we have stayed at the Poly for 6 years in a row and have never heard a peep from an adjoining room.

They also complain about the noise from the Richard Petty Driving Experience which is close by but we have never heard it.

The biggest noise at the Poly is the sound of the music when you enjoy Wishes on the beach or the sounds of happy guests in the lobby of the Great Ceremonial house.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

I've had a pretty loud stay at the Poly too. There were quite a few kids running around the hall.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at all 3 and never heard my neighbours. At Poly (Tokelau, connecting room) I was a little worried when new neighbours moved in with a baby. I thought, oh boy, now we'll hear crying/screaming at all hours. Never heard a peep.

In all my stays at WDW, we only had loud rude neighbours once, and thankfully it was on our last day that they moved in. Let their kids run up and down screaming and yelling, slamming room door constantly . Ugh. If we weren't leaving I would have gone to the front desk and said something.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Karabee
DIS Veteran

AKL we didn't hear a thing. WL was last year an we heard the noise in the hall and the pipes but nothing from either side. However, we could hear everything in the courtyard all day long - definitely take that into consideration if you stay there and want a courtyard view.

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: