Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
diddldonna
DIS Veteran

Free room upgrades?

How many of you have ever had a room upgrade? What time of year was it? What resort was it and what was you upgraded to. I am just curious how often it happens.

Also if you have got an upgrade when did you first hear about it. Did you get asked before you arrived or surprised on arrival?

Last edited by diddldonna; 08-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
diddldonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Donaldfan176
Earning My Ears

The last time we were in Disney (summer 2007) we had reservations in the garden wing of the Contemporary. We were upgraded to the Tower.
Donaldfan176 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

We visit AKL about 3 times a year and get a free room upgrade to Savannah view room each time. Yes, 100% of the time and we've stayed there at least a dozen times. I've always booked a Standard view room with 40% code and have always gotten the free upgrade. These have always been during Value season - regardless of when in the year it was.

We also got a free upgrade to CL at WL in August 2008. That was awesome, but do not think we'll go back to WL as we prefer AKL.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

30+ stays at WDW resorts, since '99....only twice has anyone in our family received an upgrade. First time was at the CR...we booked a standard view, facing the parking lot, North Wing. We ended up in a lake view room...not sure how that happened. It think our TA may have had something to do with it.
The second time was part of the Year of A Million Dreams promotion. Dh was at the YC as part of a business thing....the whole group was staying there. My dd and I were across the lake at BWV, youngest dd arrived with dh (on his reservation). She moved to BWV with us for her 3 days there, and returned home with dad for school. BUT. when dh checked in at the YC??? The CM said to wait just a minute, he had to check something out. He came back and said congratulations!! As part of YoAMD, you have been upgraded to concierge!!! Are you kidding???? The only one in the company!!! So, we got to check that out.

But other than those two times? Not once. While many people here say that it happens all the time, in all reality it doesn't. The DIS boards are a very small, even miniscule, part of the WDW community. So, even if 50% of the posters said they had been upgraded??? It would be a very small percentage of the total number of WDW guests.

Disney usually upgrades for reasons of their own. Yes, it provides magic for the guest, but Disney seldom does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. There may be some maintainance issues with the room, or they may have overbooked.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
bookgirl2632
DIS Veteran

I had small upgrades the last two times. Both times, we only booked standard view, but we wound up with water views each time. Not a huge deal, but I consider it an upgrade.

1976 Offsite 1990 Offsite in Kissimmee 2001 CBR 2006 POR 2010 HRH
bookgirl2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

We got a MAJOR room upgrade back in Feb of 2011.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2654543

We made our reservation the night before we left...something we used to do regularly. I had checked several days and there were NO GW rooms available at CR and I didn't want to swing the extra $$ for a tower room so we were just going to stay at CSR or POR but the night before, all of a sudden a GW room became available. I figured someone had canceled but in hindsight I think that the room we ended up with hand't been booked so Disney's system "allowed" it to show up as a reg GW room. The rack rate for the room we got (Hospitality Suite) is about $1,100 per night.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I have been upgraded three times at Disney. In 2001, we were upgraded from a standard room to Club Level at the Beach Club. In 2006, we were again upgraded to Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn and in 2011, we were upgraded at Coronado Springs from a standard room to a Junior Suite. Each of these upgrades were a total surprise and we were thrilled.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

We got offered an upgrade on our last trip....but it was only because we wanted two queen beds at BC and they didn't have any. So they offered to move us to the Yacht club and get water view (we only had Garden View at BC). However, we didn't take it....we really wanted to try out Beach Club!
mommytocalliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
30+ stays at WDW resorts, since '99....only twice has anyone in our family received an upgrade. First time was at the CR...we booked a standard view, facing the parking lot, North Wing. We ended up in a lake view room...not sure how that happened. It think our TA may have had something to do with it.
The second time was part of the Year of A Million Dreams promotion. Dh was at the YC as part of a business thing....the whole group was staying there. My dd and I were across the lake at BWV, youngest dd arrived with dh (on his reservation). She moved to BWV with us for her 3 days there, and returned home with dad for school. BUT. when dh checked in at the YC??? The CM said to wait just a minute, he had to check something out. He came back and said congratulations!! As part of YoAMD, you have been upgraded to concierge!!! Are you kidding???? The only one in the company!!! So, we got to check that out.

But other than those two times? Not once. While many people here say that it happens all the time, in all reality it doesn't. The DIS boards are a very small, even miniscule, part of the WDW community. So, even if 50% of the posters said they had been upgraded??? It would be a very small percentage of the total number of WDW guests.

Disney usually upgrades for reasons of their own. Yes, it provides magic for the guest, but Disney seldom does anything out of the goodness of their hearts. There may be some maintainance issues with the room, or they may have overbooked.

In all the trips listed below only once did we get an upgrade at a Disney Resort, from standard view to savannah view at Kidani.

Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I had a room upgrade at AKL - I was also interested in how often this happens at AKL - did an informal poll here and the results indicated people on the DIS were upgraded 50% of the time at AKL.

* 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report

Last edited by ExpatDisneyLover; 08-26-2012 at 06:56 PM.
ExpatDisneyLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
CouponCon
Mouseketeer

We went to Old Key West Easter week 2012 for a one bedroom villa. I did online check-in with no special requests. I was shocked when she said your 2-bedroom villa is ready! Very cool surprise! We are going back to OKW next Easter with no expectations of an upgrade...but it sure would be nice LOL

1990 Offsite...2001 AKL...2010 Offsite...2012 OKW...2013 POR....Feb 2014 Universal Studios..March 2014 POR.............. 2 Rooms Pop Century 5/24/2015
CouponCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Haley
DIS Veteran

I think it happens most at AKL because the majority of the rooms are savannah view and some savannah views aren't great. So they'll upgrade a standard or pool view to a crappy savannah view.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
owl0306
Mouseketeer

I have been so many times and never got an upgrade. Maybe it is b/c I use my DVC? I am always nice to the CM and never ask for one and still nothing!!!!!!
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

When I stayed at ASmo I got upgraded to preferred, and when I stayed at CBR I got upgraded to preferred. I like these upgrades lol

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

About 50 trips since 1981, all Disney resorts, most trips value season - mostly deluxe, with a few moderate and POP stays - we have been upgraded twice: first time at AKL, the resort was brand new, we knew nothing about the views and booked std with the FL resident rate - we were upgraded to an Arusha Savannah view. We asked if we could have a pool view instead, but the CM said she would find us a nice room and to please try it - we loved it!

Second time was on points at SSR - housekeeping upgraded us from a studio to a one bedroom. I had no idea housekeeping could or would upgrade a guest, but the housekeeping manager left us a nice gift basket saying they hoped we would enjoy our stay. No special time for us or at Disney.

Nothing else...oh...once at POP...right after the SSR stay. Tropical Storm Faye came through and I extended 2 ngts and moved to POP alone. They put me in a room in the 90's and I asked if they might have one a bit closer because I was alone. The CM walked over and spoke with a supervisor, came back and moved me to 60's pool view. I offered to pay the difference but she said no, it was her pleasure.

So, 3 upgrades in 30 years... think that is more typical than those who happen to get upgrades more often.

Last edited by Minnie&Nana; 08-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: