Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise18 View Post
As much as I would love to stay at the Poly I can't justify the extra cost. We have stayed at POR and really liked it. OP, you mention not liking only having a curtain to close at the vanity - have you considered CSR? CSR has sliding doors instead of a curtain.
We are a family of 5. I believe PoR is the only made for 5 moderate.
HappyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma View Post
We are a family of 5. I believe PoR is the only made for 5 moderate.
Other than the FW Cabins, you are correct.

Also, I think that $2000 is a big difference, and I would probably opt to stay at POR. You could use the $2000 for a lot of extras or put it towards your next trip.

I have considered Poly CL for our upcoming trip, but it is $1500 more than our GV room at Beach Club...$1500 can go a looooong way, so we're opting to save that money for now.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are driving. For our 8 days, with PH tickets and free dining is 3,500 at PoR. To go Poly we'd be 5,700 for all the same. We are driving and all our hotel rooms on the way down and back are free because of rewards we earned.
i know thread is por or poly-but have u considered one or two bedroom villas?

we have stayed in 2 bed at okw and ssr-both lovely.
with the addition of the kitchen plus an eating area for your breakfast-and more space for your morning beautifying you would be set!!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma
If we were a group of 4 and we could get a Royal Room, we'd do that. But alas, we are 5, so we don't qualify. Being 5 is sucking!

I'm really appreciating all the feedback. It's really helping me to sort things out. Keep em coming please!

ETA......we aren't food court people. We don't like those refillable cups either. I have germ issues. I can just imagine the E coli from people not washing the cups properly, and even if they did, they are doing it in a bathroom sink and then refilling at a drink station? I can't handle it. So no loss for me there. We generally breakfast in room as we are fruit and cereal people. It's fast, cheap, and easy. And the kids can eat while I get ready, I take a looooong time straighten my hair and such.
E coli from dirty cups? Never heard of that happening before...
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyFan View Post
E coli from dirty cups? Never heard of that happening before...
I never said I was rational.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Okay. I bit the bullet and booked the Poly with the 35% off. I'm super excited!!

I think it'll be worth the money to me. If not well..........I guess we don't ever do it again.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay. I bit the bullet and booked the Poly with the 35% off. I'm super excited!!

I think it'll be worth the money to me. If not well..........I guess we don't ever do it again.
Congrats . The Poly is definitely worth it to us.....I hope you have the same experience .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

We had the same issue - we were at POR earlier this year and loved it, but wanted to go with the Poly for our next trip mainly because of the monorail. We loved things about both resorts, but the cost ended up deciding for us. The few thousand saved by going with POR can go towards flights from home rather than driving 10 hours to Buffalo and flying out of there.

It helps that we plan to go every year, so we know we can plan for Poly for our 2014 trip. And we really loved POR - when I was thinking about not staying there, I felt like I was making the wrong choice...
March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ
August 2015 - Poly

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

We are also a dreaded family of 5, who would love to do a royal room but cant. Cant see why they couldn't have thrown the extra bed in a few of them. We had poly booked for april, because it was our "dream" resort, and we had enough $ to do it. But then we figured out that we could stay an extra 4 days, AND do universal and IOA and STILL have an extra $500.....and we ended back up at POR. Would have loved the monorail for MK and EPCOT, but like OP said, the other parks- same as other resorts- sometimes worse because everytime we have taken a bus from GF, POLY or CR, we have always shared buses. I think I am in the minority that LIKE the outdoor hallways too.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I know you are booked at the Poly already but another option and cheapest monorail room is the garden room at the CR. it's big and sleeps 5 comfortably. I love the Poly but that is a good alternative when you want to save some $$

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Just our opinion We have stayed at both and for us it's not even a close decision. no way is the POLY worth that much more. We are not a family that do the parks every day of our trip, we like to spend a day or two relaxing at the resort. Since the Mods have added queen beds, pool activities, marshmellow roasts and movies the Deluxe pull has decreased a lot for us. Plus with 2 DD's (2 & 7) we rather have a good CS at the resort than a couple of TS restuarants and deluxes really do not have that.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

LOL! I'm a flip flopper! Now I'm second guessing my choice. It's JANUARY! Duh! The high is 72....low 49. The high was 49 here today. Um, that's COLD! Is Florida 49 warmer than Chicago 49?

I will not want to be on the beach watching fireworks in anything below 60.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #28
silver236
Disney Vet

We just got back from the Poly after switching out of POFQ. We were paying rack for POFQ and got the 30% at Poly so it was only about $900 more for the week. DW and I said over and over again how much it was worth it. Being at the Poly, we used all three modes of transportation to the parks. The monorail is worth its weight in gold. Not just the resort line but its a quick walk over to the TTC to jump on the epcot line. Halfway through the week our kids (well our daughter) decided she didn't want to share a bed anymore so the daybed came in handy. The pool at the Poly is FANTASTIC. The kids had a blast on that waterslide. And one of my favorite memories from the trip was watching Cinderella on the beach movie screen and wishes over the MK at the same time. So it was very worth it for us. But, paying full rate would have been tough and would make the choice much tougher.

silver236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #29
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LOL! I'm a flip flopper! Now I'm second guessing my choice. It's JANUARY! Duh! The high is 72....low 49. The high was 49 here today. Um, that's COLD! Is Florida 49 warmer than Chicago 49?

That does make for a tough choice, especially if sitting on the beach in cold weather isn't an option for you. If the beach for watching the fireworks is the ONLY reason you would go with the Poly, then it might be a good idea to stay there another time of year as the weather in January can be very iffy. However, having stayed at the Poly (and LOVING it ), the beach is a great place to relax with a beautiful view, but there are SO MANY other reasons to stay at the Poly that outweigh the possibility of it being too cold to sit on the beach (at least for us ). You are the only that can decide whether or not it's worth the extra cost, but for us, I would do it without hesitation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver236 View Post
We just got back from the Poly after switching out of POFQ. We were paying rack for POFQ and got the 30% at Poly so it was only about $900 more for the week. DW and I said over and over again how much it was worth it. Being at the Poly, we used all three modes of transportation to the parks. The monorail is worth its weight in gold. Not just the resort line but its a quick walk over to the TTC to jump on the epcot line. Halfway through the week our kids (well our daughter) decided she didn't want to share a bed anymore so the daybed came in handy. The pool at the Poly is FANTASTIC. The kids had a blast on that waterslide. And one of my favorite memories from the trip was watching Cinderella on the beach movie screen and wishes over the MK at the same time. So it was very worth it for us. But, paying full rate would have been tough and would make the choice much tougher.
We feel the same way. Rack rate at the Poly is hard to swallow, but a discount makes it doable and so worth it, IMO .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:

Florida's 49 feels colder because it is a moist cold. I tried telling my sister that when she came for a visit from Michigan, but she had to learn the hard way The temp at night was going down into the low 50's and we told her she should bring a warm jacket and she laughed and said that low 50's is warm in Michigan and that our blood must have thinned out since we moved to Florida. She took a light jacket and ended up freezing, believe me I was there with a big "I told you so"

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: