Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

Hey everyone! Have two character breakfasts booked for our upcoming trip, but were thinking of canceling one. We have two kids under 5 and I really wanted them to see all the characters, so I thought CM was the way to go. Not seeing such great reviews. I've been to Cape May for dinner, so I know the food is good. Would love some opinions, ESP. From people that might have just went recently. Just was really hoping for the kids to see all 5 characters but also want to be able to eat the food! Thanks so much!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

I love both of those and they are the only 2 we are repeating next year that we did this year. If I *had* to pick, I would do breakfast at CMC because it's fantastic! CM is pretty typical buffet food but we liked it and I loved the atmosphere and character interactions. We were there in my birthday and I absolutely loved the birthday show they do. Personally, you can't go wrong with either of them but if you have to pick just one, I'd go to CMC.

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
KMcCP
Mouseketeer

I'm wondering the same thing. Last time we went to Chef Mickey's - I thought it was good and we got to see all the characters. This time we're trying CMC for something different, and since I've also read Chef Mickey's has gone downhill.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We prefer Cape May Cafe over Chef Mickeys for breakfast. Love the atmosphere of both restaurants. We like the food better at Cape May Cafe but breakfast is still good at Chef Mickeys.

That being said, Characters at Chef Mickeys are in chef outfits & at Cape May Cafe they are in beach wear. BTW, they look so cute in the beach wear

I would go for Cape May Cafe.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
shannonstar
StarGirlJapp

Cape May is much better to my family. If you want to make sure you see the Fab 5, there are many places to find them. I wouldn't sacrifice good food and great character interaction just to check something off m to do list.
2012 - BCV/AKV Split Stay
2011 - Dolphin
2010 - POFQ
2009 - POFQ

shannonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Hootch
DIS Veteran

We

go to WDW every two years. CM has been our departure morning breakfast - a farewell to Disney.

There are things at breakfast that are bland. It can be very loud. Yet we go back. I find plenty of filling and good food. I love the challah french toast, the cheesy potatoes and the fresh fruit. Throw in some bacon and sausage and there is plenty to eat. Maybe not healthy, but it is only once every two years.

BTW - two or three trips ago I messed up and originally made the ADR on the wrong day. I was lucky and found a late ADR on our departure day. We book the later time intentionally now. The meal is a bit quicker and we see the characters more.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
mrsap

Thanks everyone. Would you say you spend more time with the characters at one place more than another? For those of you with kids, were they upset with only 3 at CMC? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
Thanks everyone. Would you say you spend more time with the characters at one place more than another? For those of you with kids, were they upset with only 3 at CMC? Thanks.
I think both have great character interaction. We did CM for dinner the first full day we were there (excluding arrival day) and CMC for breakfast on the 6th day, so by then they had seen so many characters they just loved getting to see whoever was thereand weren't really counting. The only thing I would say is that if you are only doing one character meal, CMC doesn't have Mickey. That's fine if you make sure you see him somewhere else, but if this is your one and only shot at it, he won't be there. I absolutely love the beach wear and the wait staff at CMC are awesome at making sure you know the character rotation so you don't miss any. Minnie even sat down with us and pretended to eat with my boys. They loved that!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Character interaction is great at both! I personally prefer Cape May, cause its quieter and i do like the food better. Although since both your kids are under 5, and since you really want them to see the fab 5, i think you should go to Chef Mickeys. As i said, character interaction is great. And your kids will LOVE the napkin waving thing they do. I dont remember if they do a parade as well? I think it would be more fun for the kids. As for the food, its decent so dont worry. Its hard to get an ADR for chef mickeys, there must be a reason why. Its a popular place! If you've never been to Chef Mickeys then you really have to give it a try at least once.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Sunshinedaydream
Earning My Ears

Cape May Cafe. The food is very good, character interaction is great and it is much less hectic than most character meals.
Sunshinedaydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
We love the character breakfast at Cape May, mostly because of the quiet atmosphere and great food. The restaurant is fairly small and it seems like the characters have plenty of time to interact with people. We usually eat there on our last morning before heading off to the airport. It is a great way to end the vacation.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Kae
DIS Veteran

We have done CM for Dinner twice & Cape May for breakfast 3 times. We have had great character interaction at both. Food was better at Cape May but I am comparing Breakfast to Dinner & I think Breakfast Buffetts have better food. I will say I miss Chip & Dale at both of these places!!

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love Cape May Cafe breakfast and it is a must every time we go to Disney. The food is always hot and fresh no matter what time your ADR is and the character interaction is one of the best. You will be able to see Minnie, Donald, and Goofy all in their beach attire which is really cute. What we really like about this character meal is the fact that it is not loud and crazy like CM can get, it is more of a relaxed atmosphere.

If you are set on seeing Mickey and gang, then I would suggest eating at CM. We are not big fans of CM, we have had 2 miserable experiences there (once for breakfast and once for dinner). However, this past trip we ate there for breakfast again because the kids really wanted to. We thought the food and service, that was not so great the previous 2 times, was much better. The character interaction, unfortunately, still felt rushed to us, just like it did the other times we went. Good luck deciding.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

CAPE MAY....love it, food is better then chef mickey and more character interaction...plus the setting is beautiful!!!

BArb
Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
mrsap

Thanks everyone!!

I'm so torn. Obviously, I want to eat good food, but at the same time, I think my kids would love seeing Mickey and all the characters! I guess I will have to talk to my DH and go from there. I appreciate all of your opinions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: