Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I respectfully disagree.

I think it's a scale issue.

The OP would bear full responsibility for not having an amazing time. We're discussing not having an acceptable one. The former is the visitors problem... the latter is the provider's.

I still do not accept that it's the purchaser's responsibility to ensure a passably decent time.

An hour later than gate open should absolutely not prevent a fun evening. If it were so, gates shouldn't be open after hour one. As I said in my other post, the waits this year are totally unreasonable and should not just be expected. Long, yes... just not that long.

Of course the OP went to the big name properties. Through advertising... that's precisely what he was told to do. I would guess that the others weren't visited because Universal had already dropped the ball... at least in the guest's eyes. The first impression... the heavily advertised one... was poor. A half hour over posted wait would annoy me too. Two houses in three hours and didn't luck into a good run through at either... I'd be gone, possibly for good.

I should add I do agree about Gothic being awesome.

I hope the OP goes back next year. Too, I hope Universal really learns some lessons from this year.

Me? I gotta pack to head over for tonight.

We'll be in early, using express, and will likely have a blast.

I just understand those who don't and feel they have the right of it.

pax

I gotta respectfully disagree, I can remember lines being over 2 hours the first year they put it in IOA (specifically the Maximum Carnage house). That was 10 years ago. Yes, this year was a down year, no doubt. However, it's not Universal's fault if you're eating in Citywalk at 7 expecting to zip through their houses afterward. Not gonna happen, and after 20+ years and how easy it is to use the Google, that's on you if you're willing to drop that kind of change without doing some small amount of research.

Wait times have been crazy for years.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #17
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I can only see Universal being able to do something about the lines by restricting numbers admitted and I have a feeling that people would complain about that too. However I do agree that no houses should be mediocre or even worse, just plain bad.

We were at HHN this past Saturday and it was jammed! We did have express passes but managed to see 4 houses before we needed to use them. I admit that I knew how to do this due to the advice here but I still don't see how Universal can easily make HHN less crowded.

By the way, we liked The Walking Dead. It wasn't our favorite but we enjoyed it. The only truly bad house was the Alice Cooper house IMO while Penn & Teller and the classic monster house should have been better.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I gotta respectfully disagree, I can remember lines being over 2 hours the first year they put it in IOA (specifically the Maximum Carnage house). That was 10 years ago. Yes, this year was a down year, no doubt. However, it's not Universal's fault if you're eating in Citywalk at 7 expecting to zip through their houses afterward. Not gonna happen, and after 20+ years and how easy it is to use the Google, that's on you if you're willing to drop that kind of change without doing some small amount of research.

Agreed...long waits are not new this year and as you stated, have been around for years. I think the construction's closing of one of the houses helped add to the wait times but the crowd size is the problem and as I said before, I think the Scream Early tix helped pack em in early and often. I think next year will be better...I hope at least...there have been plenty of screw ups this year. I made my feelings clear on the HHN survey I took a few weeks ago so maybe they'll listen...who knows.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
Pax
Mouseketeer

I've seen long waits each of the years I've gone. I do think that this year is worse than most in recent memory. We go on Sundays, and I'd estimate the waits at double or more than previous years. I mean park wide. Normally there's a long line or two, but this year they were all thus.

That said, the length of time a problem has existed does not justify the problem's existence.

I don't think the OP really expected to "zip" through the lines. I also think there's a great deal of room between zipping through and 90 minute plus waits. I don't believe it's unreasonable to expect somewhere in the middle.

Google shouldn't really enter into it.

Research should allow for a better experience than average, absolutely. We're discussing the average though. If Universal takes your money, they have an obligation to make sure that the average is acceptable. It's on them.

We had a great time last night and expect to every Sunday next year. My wife calls me the most researched man alive. I totally get the need to do your legwork for added benefit. I just think when people like the OP who may not be the same have a bad time, we should hold Uni more accountable than the guest.

pax
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Planogirl

I'm still not seeing a suggestion as to how to make the lines shorter. Personally, I would love that!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I'm still not seeing a suggestion as to how to make the lines shorter. Personally, I would love that!
It's a matter of supply and demand. This year, there were 7 houses instead of 8, which I think was a big factor in the wait times. In previous years, one of my favorite things to do was to just hang out in the scarezones, because they were almost like individual attractions. Since there's a lack of them this year, I haven't been inclined to really stay on the streets. Maybe it's just me, but perhaps people are less interested in the street scares and more focused on getting into the houses.

The waits were pretty brutal this year... went on a Sunday a few weeks ago and only got 4 houses in.. the wait were 60, 75, 75, and 90. After waiting 90 minutes for Dead End I could hardly walk up the steps I can't stand lines.

Hopefully they'll see that the wait times were outrageous this year and try and come up with something for next year. Or at least try and make the lines somehow more interesting.
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

agree with sunshine.

for next year:
add another house, go back to the stationary scare zones and hopefully, this will help the long line issues experienced this year.

i think the scream early tickets really increased the numbers of homies that were able to hit the houses early for stay and scream period.

i did notice that peeps at the front gate were being released way before the 6:30 official opening time.
i am guessing that happened to pulse the crowds in the park for the first hour of hhn.

i prefer the set scare zones of years past.
it seemed that many in the park would take time to go thru them and then hang around longer after that to watch the SA in action.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post

Totally agree,long lines are nothing new.I remember that HHN in 2002 clearly as it was the first year it was held at IOA and lines were simply put horrible.I love IOA but I'm a strong believer HHN should be in USF as IOA is just too small,pathways are too narrow and I'm not sure of the capacity at the theater in Toon Lagoon compared to the Fear Factor theater but I remember trying to get into Bill and Ted's in the Toon Lagoon theater and it being a huge mission.That HHN in 2002 was probably one of the most memorable Horror Nights at least for me,the theme was the Caretaker,Toon Lagoon was covered in 6 feet of foam with evil clowns and I'll never forget the 2 hour wait for Scary Tales 2 where the entire wait we entertained ourselves by listening to the continuous music loop which consisted of silly music mixed with fart noises and by talking to the cute girls from Sebring in front of us.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #24
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I've seen long waits each of the years I've gone. I do think that this year is worse than most in recent memory. We go on Sundays, and I'd estimate the waits at double or more than previous years. I mean park wide. Normally there's a long line or two, but this year they were all thus.

That said, the length of time a problem has existed does not justify the problem's existence.

I don't think the OP really expected to "zip" through the lines. I also think there's a great deal of room between zipping through and 90 minute plus waits. I don't believe it's unreasonable to expect somewhere in the middle.

Google shouldn't really enter into it.

Research should allow for a better experience than average, absolutely. We're discussing the average though. If Universal takes your money, they have an obligation to make sure that the average is acceptable. It's on them.

We had a great time last night and expect to every Sunday next year. My wife calls me the most researched man alive. I totally get the need to do your legwork for added benefit. I just think when people like the OP who may not be the same have a bad time, we should hold Uni more accountable than the guest.

pax
I'm not real sure exactly what they could have done to help with the crowd levels, though. Sell fewer tickets? Raise prices? Both of those would have negatively impacted public opinion far more than the extra crowds have. It seems more that they are falling victim to their own success. I think the major problem this year was the construction - but the general public wants more attractions, so they kinda need that too. Losing a house definitely was an issue, but with Jaws being gone and all of that under construction for Potter-II, what else could they do? I'm not sure where they could have put another house. Also, just the amount of "space" currently inaccessible necessarily causes more crowding. The lack of actual scare zones may have played into the longer lines, but I'm not convinced that an appreciable number of people purposefully hang out in the scare zones rather than just walking through them to get to the next house.

The scream longer tickets (or whatever they are called) certainly increased the crowds in the S&S areas, but I doubt they made any impact on overall crowds and honestly, it didn't impact my ability to get the same number of houses done before having to use express.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure that there is anything much they could have done this year without causing even more negative experiences other than maybe opening up IOA as well. Maybe that will be an option for next year since the whole Amity area will still be under construction.

And as far as Google not playing into it, I'm sorry but if I'm dropping that kind of money to go somewhere for the first time, Google are my friend. It's not realistic given the number of years this has been an issue to be in Citywalk at 7 and expect to get all or even most everything done. That part is on the OP for not doing his/her due diligence.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
It's a matter of supply and demand. This year, there were 7 houses instead of 8, which I think was a big factor in the wait times. In previous years, one of my favorite things to do was to just hang out in the scarezones, because they were almost like individual attractions. Since there's a lack of them this year, I haven't been inclined to really stay on the streets. Maybe it's just me, but perhaps people are less interested in the street scares and more focused on getting into the houses.

The waits were pretty brutal this year... went on a Sunday a few weeks ago and only got 4 houses in.. the wait were 60, 75, 75, and 90. After waiting 90 minutes for Dead End I could hardly walk up the steps I can't stand lines.

Hopefully they'll see that the wait times were outrageous this year and try and come up with something for next year. Or at least try and make the lines somehow more interesting.
Actors in the queues? That is done by some local haunts and it can be fun. That's a great idea.

I can't speak for the rest of the time but on Saturday night we routinely found actors in certain areas. There would often be some "main" monster in the middle of the area posing for pictures while bands of monsters roamed in and around that area. The groups of monsters seemed to pop up in different main areas too. We didn't see how this differed much from scare zones since these areas tended to be packed with people too.

Oh, the areas around the girls selling shots were super crowded too. Why did they have to put them in the middle of the walkway so often?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Universal studios wasn't our favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollingforthimbles View Post
We (my two friends and I) went to HHN last night and I thought I'd tell you guys our take on the whole thing.

We arrived in Universal Studios about 7pm got some food at CityWalk and then went on to HHN. It was pretty crowded right off the bat and only got more crowded as the night went on. None of the three of us however, really mind large crowds so that wasn't a problem (at first).

Going in we headed straight for The Walking Dead themed house. While I don't consider myself a "diehard" fan, I do enjoy the walking dead and watch it whenever I can. When we got there the line said it had a 60 minute wait, so we waited. It took longer than that though, we were actually in that line about 90 minutes.

So, we enter the house and... nothing special, at all. It was such a cookie-cutter Halloween House, nothing special, nothing unique, nothing to even remind you of The Walking Dead other than the zombies, which without the Walking Dead signs could have been any regular zombies from anywhere.

We are funneled though the house pretty quickly in a massive line and then exit after about 3 minutes.

My friends and I didn't really talk about the house after leaving it, we just continued on through the scare zones and around the park until we reached the Penn & Teller house.

We stand in line for another hour and a half to be let into another run-of-the-mill Halloween House, very similar to any other one but with 3-D glasses (which made it no better) and black lighting. We are once again funneled though in a massive line and exit about 3 minutes later.

After that we went to the bakery across from the I Love Lucy store and got something to drink. Where we talked about the night so far.

To make a long story short we all agreed it was a let down and the houses were what you'd find at a county fair. By this time the lines had increased with wait times upwards of 100 minutes.

We left, and aren't going back.
We just got back from our 11 day vacation. We went to discovery cove, Disney (4 days all parks including MNSSHP) sea world and universal studios.

Our least favorite wad universal studios. The rides were good, but the wait time for rides was ridiculous! I'm not sure the rides were really worth the wait.
This is a less crowd time of year too.
We also thought the fact that they have a " fast pass" but, you pay additional money for it was a real joke too. You pay enough for your tickets, you shouldn't have to pay more money yet for this.
There were a couple different rides that people who had paid extra for universals fast pass version, were in the same exact spot in line, as we were ( and we didn't pay extra for the " fast pass". In fact, a couple times we ended up in front of these people and got on before they did.
There were some of these folks loudly voicing their opinions about that too. One guy said, this was a joke, he felt he had wasted his money on this, as he was still standing and waiting a long time and even being passed by non paying fast pass people.
I can't blame him, I would of been annoyed too. And, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for the 5 of us in my family!
The other complaint is that we paid full price for our tickets and had to leave early ( 5pm) so the Halloween horror nights could begin. Another joke! 5pm, really?
Between the long wait times, the fast pass thing, and closing the park at 5pm, we won't go back!
Also, in addition to all that, the people who work there have poor attitudes, and are not very friendly either. Sone if them seemed darn right grumpy! That topped the cake for us!
Universal studios have some things they could learn from the other parks!!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
The other complaint is that we paid full price for our tickets and had to leave early ( 5pm) so the Halloween horror nights could begin. Another joke! 5pm, really?
The Studios always closes an hour early at 5pm for set up for HHN and there are signs at the parking plaza and outside the Studio gates saying they close at 5pm for HHN. Did you expect to wander around inside the park after closing while they were trying to set everything up? A little bit of research on the DIS would have spelled out how HHN works and that day guests who are not staying for HHN have to leave. Disney does their Halloween event differently so maybe that's where you got confused? Depending on what type of ticket you had, you could have gone over to IOA for a couple of hours.

I'm not going to address your other complaints seeing as those subjects have been beaten to death.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
Planogirl

The Magic Kingdom closes early to non-party guests too so that's a pointless complaint. As for the rest, I agree that that is an old tired subject and not what this thread is about. Except to say that many of the Universal team members also work for Disney.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
BryceMc
Universal and Disney lover!

All I have to say is HHN was a lot of fun! Though crowded, the only way to really do it is with Express Pass or an R.I.P. Tour.
BryceMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

It was my own fault for not realizing that it closed at 5pm.
However, it can't be argued that universals version of a fast pass is a big joke. I heard many people complaining about it who HAD bought, and paid extra for this pass.
Thank goodness I didn't waste money on it.
And, the attitude and demeanor of universal's employees was by far the worst out of all the parks/ places we visited.
Not many smiles, waves, hello, goodbye, thank you, nothing..... Not much personality at all.
Quite a difference from the way other workers treated us at the other parks ect. If they work for Disney, they must use up all the friendliness they have when they work there, because it is the totally opposite at universal. Like I said, they could, and should take lessons from Disney, sea world, and DC.

My goodness but people take this stuff so serious! Calm down, it's just our opinion and really isn't worth taking such offense to. Seriously.
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: