Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
moniqueand2
Earning My Ears

IOA/USF around Dec. 1-2, 2012?

Hi,

A friend of mine relocated to Florida and she really wants someone to visit her and go to see Wizarding World.

My daughter's 11th birthday is Dec. 2nd. so I'm exploring the idea. We would be staying only for the weekend and not going to WDW. We went to DLR in June. These boards will so helpful with that trip.

What would the crowd be like on those dates? It is a weekend and according to the Undercover Tourist crowd calendar 12/1 is medium crowd for USF and high for IOA then 12/2 USF is high but IOA is low. Does anyone agree with these recommendations?

http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-opening-hours

Also, we'd probably stay off-site to save money and be interested in hotel recommendations. My friend would have a car so I wonder if we could even stay a little further out? Just an idea, I am considering the DoubleTree at the main gates too.

So, does anyone think this is a good weekend to go to USF and IOA?
moniqueand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniqueand2 View Post
Hi,

A friend of mine relocated to Florida and she really wants someone to visit her and go to see Wizarding World.

My daughter's 11th birthday is Dec. 2nd. so I'm exploring the idea. We would be staying only for the weekend and not going to WDW. We went to DLR in June. These boards will so helpful with that trip.

What would the crowd be like on those dates? It is a weekend and according to the Undercover Tourist crowd calendar 12/1 is medium crowd for USF and high for IOA then 12/2 USF is high but IOA is low. Does anyone agree with these recommendations?

Also, we'd probably stay off-site to save money and be interested in hotel recommendations. My friend would have a car so I wonder if we could even stay a little further out? Just an idea, I am considering the DoubleTree at the main gates too.

I think it's a good weekend! Tell them I am available. Crowds should not be high at all. Just higher than weekday crowds.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
moniqueand2
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Any information on what kind of weather to expect in early December?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

Consider staying onsite if only for Saturday night. For a little extra, you could even add your friends name to the room and get them the express as well.

Even if its 'slower', there will still be waits and express is always nice to have. You can stay offsite the other nights to save - swapping isn't that big a deal. Last trip I did, I stayed in 3 different hotels. The one night onsite gives you express both Sat and Sun.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
atricks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniqueand2 View Post
Hi,

Not only is this a good weekend, it's arguably the best weekend of the year to go (Crowds pick up quickly as Christmas approaches after this week, then get insane right around and especially the week after).

That first December weekend, you have light crowds, and the startup of all the Christmas stuff at the parks, and in the past they've had a Christmas Concert at the studios on that Saturday night (Mannheim Steamroller).
Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
moniqueand2
Earning My Ears

Wow thanks!

I'd be willing to purchase the Express. I loved using the Fastpass system at DLR and got quite good at it.

Lessening the waiting in lines is so great. But would I even need Express at that time of year?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

Need is such a personal term.

The way I look at it (flying from Boston) is that I'm paying X amount to fly down there, X amount for lodging..etc. I'm also there (for example) 2 days.

So, do I want to wait or do I want to spend as much time on the rides/shows? If I can save 10-15 minutes even per ride, that can add up to a lot of time saved over 2 days. Well worth the added cost of staying onsite and getting the express. At a rate of $244, I think its well worth while to do the one night. Being able to walk back and forth from the park to the hotel is great too.

Stay offsite Friday (assuming you come in Friday night). Change to onsite Saturday and take a late flight home Sunday night. The extra $100-144 you spend to stay onsite will be worth it.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

That will be a great time of year to visit! Crowd-wise....probably not too bad at all, and the weather in "late fall/early winter" in central Fla is usually beautiful !
As far as the Express Pass, it would still be helpful on a few rides, but you can wait to decide that until you get in the park.
Have a great time!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

haha i personally like having the onsite express pass so i dont have to walk throught the long queues for the water rides haha
heyitsmejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

Remember if you book one night onsite it will get you 2 days of unlimited express, but if you purchase it, it's one use per ride for one day and you have to pick one park or two. Would it be just you and your daughter? If so, you would not need to add the extra $25 to the hotel rate since it allows two adults per room. Just let them know she is staying too.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
BOTL76
Mouseketeer

My family was at USF on the Friday last year of when you are projecting to go this year.

Weather was around 80F, little bit overcast so had good weather.

Our longest wait was 20 minutes for Shrek, which I think we made the mistake of going to first as you funnel into that ride from the gates.

However after that is was smooth sailing. My son who was 17 at the time rode Rip Ride Rocket and The Mummy twice each, with minimal wait. We went on most rides with a 10 minute or less wait, most 5 minutes or less.
Also note we went on Jaws which is now closed. Park was only open until 6pm that day so we literally went through the park twice and crowds were quite low. This includes stopping for lunch for about 45 minutes.

Hope you have the same crowd levels we did, you will enjoy it.
BOTL76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
moniqueand2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeegrl View Post
Remember if you book one night onsite it will get you 2 days of unlimited express, but if you purchase it, it's one use per ride for one day and you have to pick one park or two. Would it be just you and your daughter? If so, you would not need to add the extra $25 to the hotel rate since it allows two adults per room. Just let them know she is staying too.
Thanks for this. I didn't realize that was how the purchase of Express worked.

I will do some price checking and see if onsite will work out.

The group will be me, friend, daugher (turning 11) and my son (7). Unfortunately, my son won't be able to go on some of the rides at USF and IOA due to the 54 inch height requirement.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atricks View Post
Not only is this a good weekend, it's arguably the best weekend of the year to go (Crowds pick up quickly as Christmas approaches after this week, then get insane right around and especially the week after).

That first December weekend, you have light crowds, and the startup of all the Christmas stuff at the parks, and in the past they've had a Christmas Concert at the studios on that Saturday night (Mannheim Steamroller).
Agreed...it's a great time to visit.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
moniqueand2
Earning My Ears

I've booked my airline tickets!!!!

Now I need to decide on a place to stay. I will probably book a partner hotel and get tickets. I really want early entry.

My friend was thinking Best Western but I'm leaning towards DoubleTree which I believe is closer.

I've been looking here:

http://www.universalorlando.com/Vaca...k-Getaway.aspx

If anyone has any advice I'm willing to listen.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

Talking

Stay onsite one night and offsite the other. Well worth it.

After all, you are spending money on flights, tickets and time traveling. Wouldn't you rather spend that time enjoying the rides rather than waiting in line?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: