Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Not worth it for us. We've taken a dozen cruises and other vacations and have never purchased it and have never had the need for it.

It is a gamble. The term "trip insurance" is a misnomer. You cannot insure your trip, you can only be compensated if something goes terribly wrong. I'm not sure the exact refun policies but if you had to cancel (for something that is covered) DCL will refund 100% up till xx days out and 50% at yy days, etc. So really the window you are insuring is pretty small.

The one advantage you have over the insurance company is you know YOUR RISKS. You know how accident prone your family is and how often they get sick etc.

I'd also advise finding out for sure what your health insurance covers. My insurance covers me and my family anywhere in the world. So it doesn't make sense for me to pay for insurance for accidents/injuries while in a foreign country. Some insurance does not cover you after you leave US soil so that might be a factor. But again, what are the chances you are are gonna break a leg on the 4 days you are in the Bahamas?

Other travel calamities we just deal with. If the airlines lost our luggage, we laugh and find a Walmart and buy some jeans and tee shirts and such. That's just life.....deal with it as it comes at you and don't worry about things that are probably not going to happen anyway. I'd venture to say 95%+ of the people who get travel insurance never need it!

One final thought.....people talk about home owners insurance and auto insurance. Totally different. For one, if you house burned to the ground, that is a life-changing event....rare but life changing if it did happen. Auto insurance is used a lot by most people. Both auto and car cover you 365 days a year....trip insurance covers you for 4 days or 7 day.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

As others have given examples it really depends on the people traveling with you along with what might be outside influences. If you have anyone in your party that is prone sudden illnesses then it might be a good idea. If anything is going on with family or work outside of your traveling party, you might want to get insurance.

I pretty much am going to plan to insure my trip if it is more than $1000. My sister and mom have both had major unexpected health issues pop up with no notice or pre-existing issues. In fact, just this month, I went to visit my cousin out of state and came home to find my mom had broken her foot in two places while at a party. I have also been on a business trip when my uncle died and I had to go home early. Since these are all issues that can happen at any time, I just cannot take the chance.

Luckily, I have only had to cancel two trips in the past, both for places I would never gotten insurance for anyway. I think 1 have only lost about $500 total on those two cancellations.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillauFr View Post
I didn't buy the insurance on my Alaska cruise. However if I was traveling to the caribbean I would buy the medivac coverage that will pay to airlift your from a hospital in a 3rd world country.

For the rest of the expenses I just don't see the point. Our family has run up $5,000 in medical expenses this year that aren't covered by our medical insurance. If I crash my car and have $5,000 in damage my auto insurance doesn't pay. If my house has $5,000 in damage my homeowners insurance won't pay a dime. So why should I buy travel insurance to protect me from canceling my cruise????
Boy, it sounds like you may have some lousy insurance coverage. Both those situations, my insurance would (and has!) paid me.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
motraveler
Earning My Ears

trip insurance

I am not a trip insurance expert by any means. I've bought it but never had to use it. I don't buy it everytime. I just got back from the Fantasy and did buy it for this trip (from tripinsurancestore.com) It wasn't but 2-300 bucks for my family of 5. We were travelling with a party of 18, 11 of which is my own family/parents/brother's family. If anything happened to any of my travelling party I wanted to be able to do what was necessary. I have 3 small kids and you never know what could happen. I read where a mom and child were quarantined to their room for 24 hours b/c of a stomach bug and she turned it into trip insurance and they reimbursed her for that 24 hours of cruise time she missed. If your cruise is diverted to another port to disembark b/c of storms, changing your flight would be covered (I was told).

On the same note. My sister in law is on a cruise right now. Well, she was until her boyfriend's back started causing him severe pain. He had to be taken off the boat in Cozumel and put in the hospital on morphine to handle the pain. She collected all their stuff and got off the boat with him. I don't know the outcome yet or how long they are stuck there...but that solidified my desire for trip insurance for any cruise I take in the future. I was given the impression that the insurance given by Disney is not the way to go...if you want good coverage at a decent price...go outside of Disney. (probably true of any cruise line)
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motraveler View Post
I am not a trip insurance expert by any means. I've bought it but never had to use it. I don't buy it everytime. I just got back from the Fantasy and did buy it for this trip (from tripinsurancestore.com) It wasn't but 2-300 bucks for my family of 5. We were travelling with a party of 18, 11 of which is my own family/parents/brother's family. If anything happened to any of my travelling party I wanted to be able to do what was necessary. I have 3 small kids and you never know what could happen. I read where a mom and child were quarantined to their room for 24 hours b/c of a stomach bug and she turned it into trip insurance and they reimbursed her for that 24 hours of cruise time she missed. If your cruise is diverted to another port to disembark b/c of storms, changing your flight would be covered (I was told).

On the same note. My sister in law is on a cruise right now. Well, she was until her boyfriend's back started causing him severe pain. He had to be taken off the boat in Cozumel and put in the hospital on morphine to handle the pain. She collected all their stuff and got off the boat with him. I don't know the outcome yet or how long they are stuck there...but that solidified my desire for trip insurance for any cruise I take in the future. I was given the impression that the insurance given by Disney is not the way to go...if you want good coverage at a decent price...go outside of Disney. (probably true of any cruise line)
DCL insurance is good if you cancel your cruise, because even if the reason you cancel is not covered by the insurance, at the least you will get a credit for a future cruise for the nonrefundable amount. It is not good for medical issues, especially because they offer no pre-existing condition waiver. And it tends to be really expensive for what you get. And it only covers your flights if you book them through DCL. Only stuff booked through DCL is covered.

Sayhello
Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I'd also advise finding out for sure what your health insurance covers. My insurance covers me and my family anywhere in the world. So it doesn't make sense for me to pay for insurance for accidents/injuries while in a foreign country. Some insurance does not cover you after you leave US soil so that might be a factor. But again, what are the chances you are are gonna break a leg on the 4 days you are in the Bahamas?
Actually this exact thing happened to a family on my excursion in Nassau. She fell off her Segway, and broke her ankle. She was hospitalized in Nassau until they could stabilize it. She and her husband had to leave the ship, and get back home to the states on their own once she was released. I don't know if they had insurance or not.

Sayhello
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Boy, it sounds like you may have some lousy insurance coverage. Both those situations, my insurance would (and has!) paid me.

Sayhello
I was thinking the same thing. I was in a car accident in August caused by an uninsured driver and my insurance has covered the $$$$ repair to the car along with additional for my minor medical expenses. Based on my coverages, they would have covered even if I had caused the accident. Also, my parents had some straight-line winds that damaged a chainlink fence and outside storage buildings and it was all covered.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Niebz
DIS Veteran

We always get the DCL trip insurance. It's the cheapest cancel for any reason insurance you can get and that gives us peace of mind because you never know when something might come up. We already have medical insurance through DH's work so we buy it mainly for the ability to get a credit on a future cruise if something causes us to miss it (plus it's always nice to have extra supplemental medical coverage).
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
beecody
Earning My Ears

Purchased the Access America in 2008 for our 1st DC... American Airlines lost my luggage and for 3 days did not get it to me! Insurance paid $2500 for me to buy clothes, toiletries, and luggage to get home... When we got to port in Fl -American grounded all their flights... 3 more days in Florida and insurance paid for our food, hotel and rental! We always buy it!
beecody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

We use ***************** to get our insurance. Our very first cruise, my step father had a heart attack and had to be airlifted back to the US. The cost for a plane to come and get him and bring him to the US was $30,000. Totally worth the insurance.

When we were on the Fantasy in June, there were 3 separate medical evacuations. One was a child. So our lesson learned from this is it can happen to anyone and for the peace of mind, getting the insurance is worth it for us.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Actually this exact thing happened to a family on my excursion in Nassau. She fell off her Segway, and broke her ankle. She was hospitalized in Nassau until they could stabilize it. She and her husband had to leave the ship, and get back home to the states on their own once she was released. I don't know if they had insurance or not.

Sayhello
But that's kinda like saying, yes, the chances of winning a lottery are really high but I know someone who won it. ;-) For some people, being on vacation might actually increase the chances of a accident because they are trying things they've never done, such as the Segway. But we live a pretty active life and I don't think the chances of an accident on vacation is any greater than the chances of an accident the rest of the year.

Insurance is a gamble. For me, I'll keep the money I'd spend on insurance and spend it on bingo on the ship....I like those odds a little better. ;-)
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

How many times have you read sad stories here from people who have had to postpone or cancel their cruises due to the death or illness of a loved one? Naturally - the ones posting that don't have insurance and hope DCL will show them some mercy.

You don't need trip insurance...until you DO need it! Unfortunately - the ones who are the most financially strapped and choose not to spend the money for insurance are the ones who need it most if there is a loss.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
But that's kinda like saying, yes, the chances of winning a lottery are really high but I know someone who won it. ;-) For some people, being on vacation might actually increase the chances of a accident because they are trying things they've never done, such as the Segway. But we live a pretty active life and I don't think the chances of an accident on vacation is any greater than the chances of an accident the rest of the year.

Insurance is a gamble. For me, I'll keep the money I'd spend on insurance and spend it on bingo on the ship....I like those odds a little better. ;-)
I think if you ask a question like that (What are the chances of breaking your leg in the Bahamas?) to a limited group like those that post on this forum, and you immediately get a response of someone who saw it happen, then that's pretty high odds that it's going to happen. Statistically speaking.

Sayhello
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #29
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Our medical insurance is pretty good both in and out of the US. When we travel, I do my best to get the best deals and such for my money.

I buy travel insurance. I get it any time we leave the country, and any time we buy a more-expensive vacation (even if in the States). If we are doing just an under $2k trip, we don't buy it.

We've never had to use it. However, on our last cruise, we had an unscheduled stop in Cabo because of a medical emergency for someone on our ship. When we did swing back to Cabo, those people were well again and re-joined the cruise. Their insurance covered it all.

It could happen to us, so we buy insurance. I usually go outside of Disney, but for the cruise we have this Sunday, I bought such short notice, that Disney's was the better deal for us for the best coverage.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I take my chances and skip the insurance
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: