Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
sassysocks
Mouseketeer

Insurance or not

Is the cruise insurance really worth it?
sassysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

If you have kids it is. If they get sick it covers the cost of the doctor on board as well as cancelled trip due to illness. Ours was about $100 for the 7 night cruise.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On a straight up financial basis, no. Otherwise the insurance companies couldn't make money.

But if you are the person who needs the insurance, it is more than worth the cost. Shop around. Unless the guest is elderly, DCL tends to be quite expensive. Many companies offer a free child policy with each parent policy purchased.

My medical insurance specifically excludes care outside the US, so no trip insurance = no medical insurance for us. Not willing to go there.

Last edited by kcashner; 10-25-2012 at 08:21 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

The anticipated storms this weekend up the coast is a prime example of why insurance would probably be wise. It could cover loss of possibly missing a flight due to weather and not making your cruise. As stated, it would also cover unforseen medical issues.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Most insurance companies won't insure for weather if a storm is already named.
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Callymum
DIS Veteran

If you have an illness or your parents or close family member has anything that you think has a chance of getting ill with then I would take out insurance.

My Dad was dealing with Cancer the last few months, he was doing fine and we thought it was ok to go. We had booked last October.

My Dad took ill two days before we are due to leave, he'd caught shingles at it had caused severe problems.

The Dr said just 2 days after being admitted with chest infection that it was actually shingles.
we were told about how bad It was 12 hrs before we were due to fly out. And told it was touch and go, so we cancelled and didn't fly out.

You never know when things can turn Bad, so if there is a Family Member you know that could get ill then take insurance out.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
htmlkid
Gold DCL Member / SSR DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysocks View Post
Is the cruise insurance really worth it?
Here's a thought. This past summer we did the DCL Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle. We left on Saturday and should have arrived there on Saturday out of West Palm Beach. Our flight was leaving at 11am...well two mechanical breakdowns and we didn't leave till 11pm. Arrived Atlanta at 1am. Now its Sunday and the boat leaves at 4pm (last aboard at 3pm). Well we are suppose to depart at 10am arrive 11:30am seattle time... well another mechanical breakdown... if we don't leave by 11am we will never meet the boat. My wife and daughter are crying in the terminal cause they are telling us that it will take till noon or 1pm to fix. SOB I'm saying why didn't I buy the insurance. $4500 for the boat and I'm not going to make it.

Even though by a stroke of luck the plane got repaired by 11am and we just made the boat... I would never pass on the insurance again.

Just my story!!!!!

htmlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Yes, yes and yes.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

Bet the ppl on The Fantasy right now who pre purchased are happy they did so.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've had to use trip insurance twice. First time allowed us to change a flight without penalty. No biggie, but when DH was stuck in a hospital thousands of miles from home, every little bit of pixie dust helped make a stressful situation more bearable.

The 2nd time we had to postpone a cruise when DH blew out a knee. Very depressing to cancel -- would've been heartbreaking if insurance hadn't reimbursed us over $8000, allowing us to reschedule.

when you figure the cost of an emergency ship to shore evacuation by helicopter can run you $100,000, we wouldn't dare cruise without insurance.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
ValentineJulie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejh1016
If you have kids it is. If they get sick it covers the cost of the doctor on board as well as cancelled trip due to illness. Ours was about $100 for the 7 night cruise.
Who did you get it through??

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

ValentineJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
disneyfaninaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Most insurance companies won't insure for weather if a storm is already named.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that the reason to get insurance is just in case a storm like this weekend happens.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
sassysocks
Mouseketeer

The DCL sales rep said that the insurance company they go through may not reimburse us if for any medical reason we couldn't go. The rep did say that if the insurance company doesn't give us our money back they would issue a credit for a future cruise. So, those of you that did miss the ship because of your flight not making it in time. Did you get reimbursed? Also, they said that if we had to be airlifted that it would only cover a small portion of the cost.
sassysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
disneyfaninaz

Unless you get prexisting condition coverage, then yes, most insurance won't cover medical reasons for not sailing. However, you are literally spending thousands on your cruise, what is a couple hundred more for peace of mind if something goes wrong. Even a small portion of cost is better than non at all. Shop around to get the insurance best for you.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I didn't buy the insurance on my Alaska cruise. However if I was traveling to the caribbean I would buy the medivac coverage that will pay to airlift your from a hospital in a 3rd world country.

For the rest of the expenses I just don't see the point. Our family has run up $5,000 in medical expenses this year that aren't covered by our medical insurance. If I crash my car and have $5,000 in damage my auto insurance doesn't pay. If my house has $5,000 in damage my homeowners insurance won't pay a dime. So why should I buy travel insurance to protect me from canceling my cruise????
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: