Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #61
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Just a heads-up to NJ DISers, the governor is going to be on any minute regarding declaring a state of emergency...

I believe New York, Delaware, and Virginia already called one, if I'm not mistaken.
It was nice of him to come back from all of his travels since it seems everytime there is a problem he is elsewhere.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #62
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Our state CT has been declared. We have everything all set, food, batteries, water, basics. Full tank of gas. But looks like this will be another year they may cancel Halloween. Last year Irene hit and then we had an October storm, Halloween cancelled, no power for 2 weeks. All that candy again?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #63
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
It was nice of him to come back from all of his travels since it seems everytime there is a problem he is elsewhere.
I about fell over when someone asked him if he'd actually be in the state for this storm.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #64
starwood

I laughed yesterday when the Lt. Governor gave the briefing and said he was away but would be back in 2-3 hours.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #65
jrhwmr
Mouseketeer

The last three halloweens we were at Disney World. I guess I am glad we are home because I would be too worried about our house. This would have been my daughter's first experience actually trick or treating.
jrhwmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #66
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

The governor declared Pennsylvania a state of emergency last night as well. No travel restrictions at this time. It is so they can respond effectively without going through all the red tape otherwise required. http://www.abc27.com/story/19927780/...e-of-emergency

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #67
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Just a heads-up to NJ DISers, the governor is going to be on any minute regarding declaring a state of emergency...

I believe New York, Delaware, and Virginia already called one, if I'm not mistaken.
Couldn't Christie just block the storm with his body?

(hey, I'm a fat guy too so I could help him)
Old 10-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #68
DUHgreg
Mouseketeer

The latest guess at rain totals.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoo...l_Days_1-5.gif

Keep good thoughts for the Delmarva folks.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #69
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgartz View Post
We leave for WDW early Friday morning. So hoping all the damage here is done, and we can drive down in peace. Just glad this is happening before we leave. I would hate not knowing how my house is fairing and trying to enjoy our vacation at the same time.
Right with you on this, we are planning on leaving Wed late or early Thurs. Also want to have peace of mind knowing my house is safe and secure. We in Jersey looks like we are going to be hit pretty hard.

Stay safe everyone!!
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #70
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

thinking of all of you in the path. We just got off the Fantasy today after Captain Tom decided to be the only cruise ship to return to port today (all other cruise lines stayed at sea and avoided the storm). We have been in the hurricane on the Fantasy for 2 days, terrified. The interior of the ship, the shops, dining rooms were all terribly damaged. The crew, although very helpful, was also very frightened. We had 40 foot waves and 80 mile an hour winds last night, the seas were so rough that people were walking around with life jackets on (many people were falling, crying, screaming at times). Needless to say, I am not pleased with DCL's decision to return to port in bad weather (this could have been avoided, I know the logistics are complicated, but going through what we went through was not worth it). There is a long story that goes along with this tale that many of my fellow dis cruisers and I will share, but right now I am exhausted because none of us slept last night. Simply, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Please no flames, you would understand if you were there. We are grateful to be on solid land and it will be a very long time before I put my trust in DCL with the safety of my family again. I can testify that my sentiments were shared by most everyone I spoke with on board. Blessings to you in the north east.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
thinking of all of you in the path. We just got off the Fantasy today after Captain Tom decided to be the only cruise ship to return to port today (all other cruise lines stayed at sea and avoided the storm). We have been in the hurricane on the Fantasy for 2 days, terrified. The interior of the ship, the shops, dining rooms were all terribly damaged. The crew, although very helpful, was also very frightened. We had 40 foot waves and 80 mile an hour winds last night, the seas were so rough that people were walking around with life jackets on (many people were falling, crying, screaming at times). Needless to say, I am not pleased with DCL's decision to return to port in bad weather (this could have been avoided, I know the logistics are complicated, but going through what we went through was not worth it). There is a long story that goes along with this tale that many of my fellow dis cruisers and I will share, but right now I am exhausted because none of us slept last night. Simply, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Please no flames, you would understand if you were there. We are grateful to be on solid land and it will be a very long time before I put my trust in DCL with the safety of my family again. I can testify that my sentiments were shared by most everyone I spoke with on board. Blessings to you in the north east.

40 foot waves...

ETA: Glad you guys are all ok!!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #72
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I'm shocked at this story. I did see a picture earlier today of the damage in the gift shop. I had no idea that DCL could have avoided this by staying out to see. I thought the ship got caught in it. Very surprising.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #73
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDoc5 View Post
OMG, I was dragged on my last cruise and ended up loving it, but your story is the SOLE reason I was terrified to go.

Glad you are safe and sound.

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #74
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

thanks everyone for your well wishes.

Interestingly, I posted on a thread already started on the DCL board and was shocked by the rude responses of some of the people there. But many disers did offer support, which was what those of us on that ship last night were looking for when we came to the disboards today.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....013842&page=15
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #75
starwood

Now it looks like it's going to come ashore around central Jersey! We are now in the 70-80 mph wind range. I'm really not liking this.

Tags
hurricane sandy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: