Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #31
dana1003
DIS Veteran

im right by the GwB EXIT 18 ON TPKE,, i m so close to the city i have the skyline view from my apt..dont know what to think?? i did get water, batteries, toaster strudels and ice cream...wasnt that in a preparedness kit somewhere
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #32
Disney Pal
DIS Veteran

We are supposed to flying out Mon 7 am from Stewart Airport in Newburgh NY and PRAY that we get on it and fly out. It doesn't look good......
I don't know if we would get out at all if we don't get out on Monday.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

We have the basics already in the house...just have to make sure we have enough gas for the generator and all the electronics are fully charged.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Note, some airlines are already issuing travel alerts. Once they do that you can change your flight and usually have the change fees waived. You would probably be better off heading out earlier rather than later. I mean, who's going to complain about a couple extra days at WDW?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #35
Angebee
Mouseketeer

By the projected maps, Sandy will be heading over us around mid-week so we've got an extra day or two to be prepared if necessary. Hoping Frankenstorm fizzles out before then or switches it up and just heads on out to the Atlantic but until then I'll be praying for all the DISers in it's path. Stay safe everyone!!

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Well, here we are one day later with more news.

According to today's news, there's a 10% chance that it will NOT hit us.

The chance of it colliding with the the artic front could bring a few FEET of snow.

Evacuations have apparently started in parts of NJ.

The latest maps:

The yellow will see a major impact while the red area will see the worst.

Quote:
Unlike Hurricane Irene which dumped especially heavy rains and brought gusty winds over a 12 hour period, this storm has the potential to do the same over a 48 to 72 hour period with more devastating results. Unprecedented flooding from 10-15"+ rainfall storm totals are possible over New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, and southeastern New England including all of the New York City metropolitan area and all of Long Island. The storm should finally move out of the region by Wednesday, with colder air moving into the area. With saturated, flooded grounds and a prolonged period of storm-force winds, widespread tree damage is expected ...and that tree damage will create widespread, long-term power outages that could last many days if not longer. In the primary impact area outlined above, people should be prepared to have no electrical power (and perhaps water, gas, and heat) for many, many days. Winds will be fairly intense through this storm, with sustained 25-50mph winds likely from the coast to 200 miles inland, with sustained winds of 40-80mph likely at the coast, with gusts 30-70mph inland and 50-95mph at the coast currently expected.

I also just read online that a storm like this has not been seen here since the 1930s.

Okay, I'm officially getting nervous now.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #37
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Can someone explain to me about the lines...

Is that where the EYE would possibly hit, and if so would the storm and the effects of it be all around the eye?

I'm in upstate NY and was wondering if most of these lines meant I'm in the clear or if thats just the center and I'm not in the clear

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #38
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

We're in that yellow area of New Jersey. I don't know what the lines indicate either. I clicked on weather.com and it indicates that Tuesday will be the worse of the days.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #39
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
Can someone explain to me about the lines...

Is that where the EYE would possibly hit, and if so would the storm and the effects of it be all around the eye?

I'm in upstate NY and was wondering if most of these lines meant I'm in the clear or if thats just the center and I'm not in the clear
These are the models of where the storm can possibly hit.

Each scientific model is put out by a different organization.

The majority seem to focus on southern NJ, Maryland and Delaware.

That being said, there are models that have the storm hitting more north and others that have it going out to sea.

Keep in mind that while these includes scientific data.....this is basically guessing.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Just to give an example....

This is similar to the map that John and I saw in NYC when Isaac was headed toward FL.

Because of this type of thing...we canceled our cruise and in the end, everything turned out to be very minor.

You just never know, but you should take precautions.

Water, flashlights, batteries, candles, extra nonperishable food, lots and lots of chocolate and firewood...if you have a fireplace..are all good ideas.

Filling your gas tank, getting some "on hand" cash and making sure everything is fully charged are also good ideas.

Also...make sure you have enough pet food.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #41
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

we were hit last year in connecticut with hurricane irene. it was actually not that bad. however, everyone lost power. it took about 2 weeks to restore. so be on the safe side and get those batteries, flashlights, water, firewood, non-perishable food. the worst was throwing all the food away from the freezer and fridge. and no hot shower.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
These are the models of where the storm can possibly hit.

Each scientific model is put out by a different organization.

The majority seem to focus on southern NJ, Maryland and Delaware.

That being said, there are models that have the storm hitting more north and others that have it going out to sea.

Keep in mind that while these includes scientific data.....this is basically guessing.
Thanks for your post Kevin!!!

So, just to clarify further... the lines are where it could hit... but is that the center of the storm hitting? Could the effects of the storm be around that line or where the eye goes?

Sorry to be dense

HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
DisneyLaura
A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes

I'm here in CT. Not looking forward to any kind of storm. Went to get a generator today but none left. Even drove to NY nothing.

DisneyLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #44
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Correct. The line is the eye, so wide stretches on either side will see effects. That's why I recommended to Nikki to grab the map from the NHC. That's the second map above. That's directly from the NOAA / National Hurricane Center.

The cone is easier to visualize than a straight line, especially when you are dealing with a spread one like Sandy is.

For reference, the storm is technically off the coast in the ocean, but we're having decent winds here by Disney, and I have friends that have lost power in the NW part near UCF and Sanford.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #45
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Just to give an example....

This is similar to the map that John and I saw in NYC when Isaac was headed toward FL.

Because of this type of thing...we canceled our cruise and in the end, everything turned out to be very minor.

You just never know, but you should take precautions.

Water, flashlights, batteries, candles, extra nonperishable food, lots and lots of chocolate and firewood...if you have a fireplace..are all good ideas.

Filling your gas tank, getting some "on hand" cash and making sure everything is fully charged are also good ideas.

Also...make sure you have enough pet food.
LOL, the chocolate! I would work on that stockpile first! Seriously, I hope the storm misses the coast and that everyone's flight leaves on time, and that no one loses power. Sending some pixie dust to all!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane sandy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: