Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

Do Non-DVC'ers ever get free upgrades at BLT??

My mom and I and my friend & her son are hoping to get (and be able to afford) a 1 br at BLT next year for Halloween week. I can't help daydreaming as I look at 2 BR units.

Has anyone that's paid cash instead of points for a BLT room gotten a free upgrade to a larger unit? Just curious

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Upgrades like that do happen. However, almost always when it benefits the resort to move/upgrade you. It's always best to wait and save to book what you want. No disappointment then.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
klwdisney
DIS Veteran

We'll be thrilled to death just to be able to stay at a monorail resort and so close to MK even if it's on pull outs with the young'un on an air mattress haha There won't be any disappointments here :D I was just curious if DVC's do free upgrades if you're not a member.

9/86 - Poly (with family), 11/97 - Honeymoon @ Hyatt Orlando, 3/99 - POR, 11/00 - ASMo,
10/05 - POP Century, 9/07 - 10th anniversary POR, 5/08 - POFQ with Just Mom!5/09 - Moonsoon Trip to CBR, 5/12 with Mom at POR, POR/POLY 5/13 Bday with mom & friends, NEXT UP: November 2014 Contemporary Garden Wing for the Food & Wine Festival with Mom!

klwdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwdisney View Post
I was just curious if DVC's do free upgrades if you're not a member.
upgrades are rare if you are staying on a cash reservation. probably more rare at DVC resorts in general than at the hotels (as DVC resorts - especially ones like BLT - tend to operate at a very high occupancy rate).

and upgrades are virtually impossible if you are staying on a points reservation. (because DVC owners are just that, "owners" - a hotel has some flexibility in dealing with guests but all of the pts have to be accounted for.) usually, in the handful of cases where points stays have been upgraded, it's due to maintenance issues.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

We paid cash (Expedia) 2 years ago for 2 nights, 1br and were upgraded to a dedicated 2br. It was so wonderful...only problem is that we brought our baby monitor with us and it didn't work in the second bedroom...walls to thick/etc.

Even with a 1br, you will love the space. The 2br almost felt too big!

That being said, it totally spoiled me and I plan on doing DVC from now on. We're renting points and staying AKV-Kidani in Jan.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Two years ago, Disney owned a much larger percentage of the room inventory at BLT, so they had much more flexibility to give upgrades. Now, the resort is nearing completion of sales to members, so Disney only has a small, probably less than 10%, amount of inventory.

Sorry, OP. I'd say the chances are very small.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: