DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Question Internet Connection at BLT

I understand there's free WiFi, but I suspect it's painfully slow. Are the ethernet outlets in the villas still "live?" I'd like to hardwire for faster speeds if I can, or even use my travel router.

Or am I SOL?

Stupid Judy.
gmi3804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

The wired connections are no longer live, only WiFi.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
cadale
Mouseketeer

We were just there in Sept - Oct and didn't have a problem with the speed of the WiFi. Connected fine and didn't have any interruptions.

2000: ASM, 2003: ASM, 2006: POR, 2007: CSR, 2008: POR,VWL, 2009: SSR, 2010: BLT, 2011: OKW (2), 2012: BLT, 2013: SSR, BLT/AK, 2014: BCV/SSR
cadale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I've heard horror stories about WiFi at WDW. Not a problem at BLT?

Stupid Judy.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi3804 View Post
Thanks. I've heard horror stories about WiFi at WDW. Not a problem at BLT?
We were at BLT on 9/27 & 9/28 in a lake view studio. Our wi-fi was very slow and the connection dropped several times.

I think your experience will depend on where you are and how many of your neighbors are trying to use the connection.

The connection for the second part of our trip at the BWV was much, much better. But since many have had problems there, I really think the wi-fi experience depends on luck.

I did let them know how disappointed I was in the wi-fi at BLT on the survey they sent after our stay. There were several questions about it which leads me to believe wi-fi service may still be a work in progress. I hope so.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We just got home yesterday from BLT and had no problems with the wireless internet.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

I only had one slow night with the internet when we were at BLT last week.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

I was at BLT in June and the WiFi was very slow at times.

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
We were at BLT on 9/27 & 9/28 in a lake view studio. Our wi-fi was very slow and the connection dropped several times.

I think your experience will depend on where you are and how many of your neighbors are trying to use the connection.

The connection for the second part of our trip at the BWV was much, much better. But since many have had problems there, I really think the wi-fi experience depends on luck.

I did let them know how disappointed I was in the wi-fi at BLT on the survey they sent after our stay. There were several questions about it which leads me to believe wi-fi service may still be a work in progress. I hope so.
We had the same experience last week and I responded the same way with the survey we received.
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
JWG
DIS Veteran

The "new" WiFi" system is now a year old. It started in October, 2011. There is no excuse for there still being so many problems with it. Fairfield Inn's across the U.S. have figured it out.

I was confident that by our December 2012 visit this would be figured out, guess not.

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG View Post
The "new" WiFi" system is now a year old. It started in October, 2011. There is no excuse for there still being so many problems with it. Fairfield Inn's across the U.S. have figured it out.

I was confident that by our December 2012 visit this would be figured out, guess not.
I don't know if Fairfield necesarily has "figured it out". I saw documentation from Marriot that says their average occupancy rate is around 63% (with the lowest at around 35%). I would have to believe that Disney operates much higher year round. More guests=more wifi capable devices. Since wireless is shared connectivity per wireless access point, you have these problems. Happens everywhere (not just Disney) where an overwhelming amount of users are simultanously streaming, reading email and posting on the DIS. Most of the time its a problem with wireless technology in general and not the companies implementation of the technology. Hopefully, they are choosing to implement the best possible solution to lessen the problems but connectivity issues will continue to exisit and people will complain about this free service.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
gmi3804
DIS Veteran

It's a one step forward/two back situation. In providing this free WiFi "service" to its guests, Management has made it next to impossible to utilize a WiFi network anywhere on property without providing your own tethering hot spot. An hard-wired ethernet option isn't even provided. One could always, I suppose, go to the outside-managed "business centers" and pay ungodly amounts for their services.

I think I'll go complain about it on an anonymous message board and things'll improve.

Stupid Judy.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
COMouseEars
Earning My Ears

We stayed at BLT 10/12 -20. For the first few days the WiFI was terrible. Could only get a signal in the main rooms, but not on the balcony, and then it was iffy at best. Near the end they switched the name of the WiFi source and everything was great. Good signal in all parts of the room and balcony. Not sure if others had the same experience if they were there that week but it turned out pretty good at the end.

I was bummed that they turned off the wired ports though. We had always brought our own wireless router for the rooms which worked great. One less thing to pack now though.
COMouseEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
kda
DIS Veteran

We spent 8 nights at BLT earlier in Oct. Wi-fi was excellent in both rooms (16th floor and 10th floor LV) and the balconies. We had an i-pad and laptop. DH took the i-pad to the pool one day and couldn't get connected. So, we were very happy, but it sounds as if we were lucky.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

BLT wifi

stayed twice in sept this year..
studio, 9th floor LV..awesome wifi, quick and reliable
studio,14th floor LV...horrible..I had to go out in the hall and walk until i could get 1 bar on my ipad....we did complain but they said they couldn't do anything..it was that bad & frustrating that we didn't log on for the rest of the stay.
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: