Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
mrsgavrily
Earning My Ears

Best character dining for adults?

Best character dining for adults
My husband, sister and I are taking our first ever trip to WDW in Feb 2013. We are hoping to book at least one character meal. Most places we have read about have mixed reviews. Any advice for us? Some more info: We are in our mid-twenties, No kids, No dining plan, Staying at Art of Animation resort. Currently have ADR for Chef Mickey's (dinner) and Garden Grill (dinner) - not sure which one to keep (if any). Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks from 3 Disney-loving Aussies xx
mrsgavrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Well, what characters are you wanting to see would be the first question? My wife and I did 3 character meals on our first trip to the world back in '07. We didnt know if we'd be able to go back, so we packed up on them.. We did Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace and Cinderellas Royal Table.. As far as characters, all of them were fun. As far as food, none of them were great, none of them were bad. But it's for the characters you do them, and all 3 were really fun.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
KingdomHeartsFan
DIS Veteran

One of the best character dining experiences I have ever had with a group of adults was at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. The buffet is very good and the character interaction was fantastic! When we dined there for dinner, we met Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, and Drizella. We were a group of 4 adult men and the step-sisters were so much fun. They came by our table numerous times and pretended to flirt with all of us and argue over which would get each of us. Then when Lady Tremaine came by, she pretended to interview us to decide which was eligible for her daughters! We were almost crying we were all laughing so hard! We had so much fun!

KingdomHeartsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Tusker House at the Animal Kingdom. We had a really good lunch there and will go again on our next trip.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

I agree that 1900 Park Fare's interaction of the Step Sisters with adults is very fun and entertaining. I don't know of any other characters that have as much creative license with their personas. Oh, and the food was pretty good too. Although we went with our kids, there were many tables, as much as 20% without. We went late, after the dinner rush, when younger kids were probably being put to bed. (after 7 or 7:30?)

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
andrencau
Mouseketeer

Ohana breakfast is great. Its served more family style and the food is great. I would say the same for Akershus breakfast.
andrencau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Emteach
DIS Veteran

Agree the character interaction at 1900 is awesome We also ate at Akershus - which is Disney Princesses and I think others for breakfast - the food there is very unique, Norweigan fare.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgavrily View Post
Best character dining for adults
My husband, sister and I are taking our first ever trip to WDW in Feb 2013. We are hoping to book at least one character meal. Most places we have read about have mixed reviews. Any advice for us? Some more info: We are in our mid-twenties, No kids, No dining plan, Staying at Art of Animation resort. Currently have ADR for Chef Mickey's (dinner) and Garden Grill (dinner) - not sure which one to keep (if any). Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks from 3 Disney-loving Aussies xx
I haven't done 1900 Park Fare, but I have done CRT twice with all adults. If you do dinner it is very nice and pretty low key. You can't beat eating in the castle. It is all princesses and if you play along, it's lot of fun. It is more expensive, but you do get a photo package included with it.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Starclassic
‎"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~Walt Disney

I think it depends on what characters you're most interested in. If you want classic Mickey & Friends, I say go with Chef Mickey's. If you're interested in Princesses, go with Cinderella's Royal Table. It doesn't get much more magical than dining in the Castle.

Whatever meal you choose, you'll have a great time!!

Feb.2012 ASMu, Feb.2013 ASMu, Feb.2015 Pop

Starclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
mrsgavrily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starclassic View Post
I think it depends on what characters you're most interested in. If you want classic Mickey & Friends, I say go with Chef Mickey's. If you're interested in Princesses, go with Cinderella's Royal Table. It doesn't get much more magical than dining in the Castle.

Whatever meal you choose, you'll have a great time!!
My husband loves Mickey and Donald and doesn't really care for princesses. But I really want a 'magical' setting and it looks like princess ones are the best for that. Maybe we need to do both!?
mrsgavrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Hi there

We like the Ohana's Character Breakfast at Polynesian. It's great for adults. The food is the best. It is family style so you don't have to go to a buffet table. We have gone several times.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I just got back on Sat & loved chef mickeys! I also really enjoyed CRT as well but I'm a princess fan

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Disney's Beignet review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Our favorite is Cape May Cafe at BC.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
nigel-bigel
DIS Veteran

I am surprised no one had mentioned Cape May earlier. Cape May is our family's favorite and we make sure to go on every visit. You meet the classic characters - I've seen Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Donald. The breakfast food is good and the atmosphere is relaxed and almost peaceful - definitely not as chaotic and noisy as other places can get.

We have never been to 1900 Park Faire with Cinderella and the stepsisters, but it sounds like a blast. We have ADRs for our upcoming trip. We have been to b-fast there with Alice and Mary Poppins. I wouldn't recommend it for adults looking for an adult time.

If you want to meet Mickey, I think the only place to see him is at Chef Mickey's. But beware! Way. Too. Loud.

Also, I wouldn't suggest Crystal Palace, as Pooh & the gang bring in lots of young families. There's nothing wrong with young families, I've been part of one twice now! It's just not who I want to be with if I am having a meal with adults.

I've also been to the character breakfast at the Swan (forget the name) and wouldn't recommend it. The food was fine and the atmosphere was subdued (which is good), but the character visits were slim. I think the whole time we were there we only saw Pluto making the rounds.

Nicole
Nov 01 Yacht Club
Feb 02 Boardwalk Inn
Oct 02 Dolphin
Apr 04 Disneyland
Oct 04 PO - French Quarter
Nov 06 Coronado Springs
Jan 11 Boardwalk Villas
Jan 13 PO - Riverside
nigel-bigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Quin
DIS Veteran

I would go with 1900PF dinner - love the interaction with the StepSisters & Lady Tremaine; it's the closest thing you can get nowadays to a Villains dinner.

I would also suggest Cape May breakfast, especially if you have a day when you're going to a water park or just hanging out at the resort pool. You get several of the classic characters and they're in beachwear, which is really cute. Also, paying oop, breakfast (while pricey) is less than lunch or dinner at most restaurants.

CM has the Fab 5 but - I just don't know with an adults-only group. And I'd say not Garden Grill. Since it's just a family style platter you have far fewer food choices than you do at any buffet. GG and the Ohana breakfast are perfect for families with more kids than adults, because for those groups juggling the trays at a buffet is a nightmare.

If you want to combine a character meal with early park entry, get a pre-rope-drop ADR for breakfast at Tusker in AK or CP in MK. But otherwise I'm not sure taking the time away from the park plus the cost is worth it.

CRT - yes, the concept of eating in the Castle is magical, but paying oop the price is awfully hard to swallow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: