Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

This post is a little confusing.

But if your FIL is planning on going to the restaurant and paying for people not on the plan he will almost certainly be denied. It's been stated that the restaurant CMs can get into trouble for breaking the DP rules, so you'll be hard pressed to find one that will do it.

He's going to be pretty upset if he ends up throwing money down the tubes if that is his plan and he has credits he can't use.

The call center CM was either wrong, or completely misunderstood the question. You are more than welcome to use 15 credits in one day if you like. However, you can't redeem them all at once. You can't redeem more meals at one time than people in your party because sharing of the meals with those not in your group is prohibited.

Can he go through the QS line and order 2 adult meals, go back through and order another adult meal and give it to the child? Sure... but you'll end up with lots of child credits that need used and he'll spend up the adult credits faster. If the child wants adult meals more often than not, maybe he should bump him up as an adult on the DP and tix.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We tried doing it when our large group (5 different rooms) got out of whack on credits. We were told no at more than one TS location. If the KTTW card shows dining plan for 4 people, that's all they will run at once at a table service location.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Well, I was so disheartened by the responses that I called Disney Dining and asked them - they said that since my FIL will be on the deluxe plan he'll have a "Key to the World" or something like that and will be allowed to deduct all 30 meals at a go (15 people at signature dining) if he so chooses! The rest of us, who just have regular dining would not be able to do that.
Sorry, but this is not correct. Your father in law, being in a different room and on a different dining plan, will not be able to use his credits to purchase your meals in addition to his own. The server should take note of the number of guests listed on his card and limit his order with DDP payment to that number of meals. If he has three people on his card, he can pay for three meals. I'm going to suggest that your group not go into restaurants anticipating that your father in law will be able to pay for everyone's meals on his account.

Unfortunately you cannot count on WDW-DINE to give correct answers to questions about restaurant or DDP policy. They are a reservation line. They should really be used as nothing more.

It's also policy on the Restaurant board not to discuss ways to get around this, or ways to use children's credits to buy adult meals unless you are discussing a restaurant with no child's menu. It's also been noted by posters who identify themselves as servers at WDW restaurants that they face penalties if they are caught allowing a guest to use their DDP credits to purchase meals for others who are not on their reservation.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 10-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeManda View Post
Well, I was so disheartened by the responses that I called Disney Dining and asked them - they said that since my FIL will be on the deluxe plan he'll have a "Key to the World" or something like that and will be allowed to deduct all 30 meals at a go (15 people at signature dining) if he so chooses! The rest of us, who just have regular dining would not be able to do that.

Thank you all for your input! I guess we all learned something new today
While is true that you may use your credits how you wish on the DxDP CS or TS it also states you can not use them for guests not on your DP. The CM you spoke with I am afraid gave you incorrect information and to count on being able to have your Fil pay for the entire meal with the DP credits on his KTTW card will end up in disappointment.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post
I'd ask DD to confirm this in writing so that there is no problem at the restaurant (they might not do this too often, so you could end up loosing time). I'd also tell the waiter as soon as you arrive.
Not sure who you could contact that could "get it in writing" mostly because they already have it in writing saying you can't.

Anything from a WDW DINE CM, even if they could send you an email, really has no weight and can't be expected to be the final word. Phone CM's have been known to tell people they can use two "days" to park hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
It also says guests on your meal plan but we have purchased CS meals for others with leftover credits.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Its been reported that Disney has been cracking down on this. I had heard of people doing this years ago, standing at a CS register and paying for whoever walked up, but not so much lately. Disney knows unused credits are cash in the pocket and are almost expected in their pricing structure.

OP Disney usually figures these kinds of things out and plugs loopholes like this.

Last edited by chartle; 10-25-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
MaeManda
Earning My Ears

I very humbly thank you all - this is exactly why I came here to ask. My FIL was told by two certified agents, one of whom was a CM before becoming an agent, that this was acceptable and I spoke with the DD CM. But neither he nor I had seen the DxDP brochure or policy at all and relied on what we were told.

I gave report to FIL and he will call CRT directly to confirm since that is the restaurant he was planning on using his credits. No offense intended, since the other three people who should have been right were wrong he wants confirmation from the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

I am sorry for breaking the rules of the board- I didn't realize that either was a work-around or shady. I had seen people on a different website discuss the CS thing as "what you do." I know better now, and will stick with the rules (both for the DDP and the board )
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Please don't anticipate, WHATEVER they tell him on the phone, that your father in law will be able to use his credits assigned to three people to pay for 15 people to eat at CRT. Even if they tell him yes, he could get a different answer while actually at the restaurant. Many of us have extensive experience with Disney reps giving this kind of information incorrectly. Please make sure you have an alternate method of payment available for the additional 12 guests.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Please don't anticipate, WHATEVER they tell him on the phone, that your father in law will be able to use his credits assigned to three people to pay for 8 people to eat at CRT. Even if they tell him yes, he could get a different answer while actually at the restaurant. Many of us have extensive experience with Disney reps giving this kind of information incorrectly. Please make sure you have an alternate method of payment.
Yes I was trying to say this and it wasn't coming out right so I best thought not to confuse things, but this falls under the "get it in writing" thought.

Your plan, on the surface, according to everything written, is not allowed. Now certain CMs have a certain amount of Pixie dust to make things happen but you really can't expect it.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #24
ses1230
DIS Veteran

OP please make sure you have a backup plan, it would be awful to be at CRT in that situation.

The brochure states: "You may not redeem meals or snacks for any Guests who are not on your Disney Deluxe Dining". Let us know what happens, good luck.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

The beginning of the OP's post said he did it to cover the "extra TS credits" we would need, although then she does talk about CS in the next paragraph.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
OP please make sure you have a backup plan, it would be awful to be at CRT in that situation.

The brochure states: "You may not redeem meals or snacks for any Guests who are not on your Disney Deluxe Dining". Let us know what happens, good luck.
Here is direct from the PDF link posted above.

Quote:
Q. Can I use my Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan.
Bolding Disney's

Its the 'not on your reservation' part that makes your plan not work.

Last edited by chartle; 10-25-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
MaeManda
Earning My Ears

We do all have regular DDP dining and so we'll be able to each use our own credits at CRT if we need to - I will come back and let you know what FIL finds out from calling CRT directly (at least it would be one CM's hands-on knowledge, and outside the pressure of a face-to-face request, probably as accurate as we'll get until we are sitting at the table). He did the math and found that he would have saved $300-500 by upgrading and using them like this instead of paying out of pocket for the extra meals we have planned (8 days of DDP, 11 TS credits on our itinerary) - not a trip ending expense for him (it would be for us, I'm just a beneficiary of his generosity). If he can't use them as he hoped then he ends up losing money on the plan

I can see why there may be misunderstanding with how they can be used, because while the brochure does say "You may not redeem meals or snacks for any Guests who are not on
your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan."

it also says this in the FAQ page of the brochure:
Q. Can I use my Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family
members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney
dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends
or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not purchased a
Disney dining plan.

and we will be on the same reservation (booking as a whole and reservation at the restaurant) and have purchased a DDP, so according to this part of the brochure it would be allowed. Without the first part quoted above, it would be ok...just trying to give the people who gave FIL bad information the benefit of the doubt - I do see how that the rules prohibit him from proceeding, but I also see how there was a chance this made them misunderstand

Thank you all again for your clarity and explanations! I will update when I hear how calling CRT directly goes!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
The beginning of the OP's post said he did it to cover the "extra TS credits" we would need, although then she does talk about CS in the next paragraph.
Yes it seems like its for the extra credits needed for CRT.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaeManda View Post
and we will be on the same reservation (booking as a whole and reservation at the restaurant) and have purchased a DDP, so according to this part of the brochure it would be allowed. Without the first part quoted above, it would be ok...just trying to give the people who gave FIL bad information the benefit of the doubt - I do see how that the rules prohibit him from proceeding, but I also see how there was a chance this made them misunderstand

Thank you all again for your clarity and explanations! I will update when I hear how calling CRT directly goes!
I'm 99.999999% certain by reservation they mean room reservation not dining reservation.

To the system you are two completely differnt rooms.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #30
MaeManda
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post

Its the 'not on your reservation' part that makes your plan not work.
Funny, it's that part that makes me think that it could be possible - I guess the confusion is in the word "reservation" because I was thinking it meant either the ADR or our group's trip reservation (4 rooms all made at one time, paid by the same person) but you are implying that "reservation" means people in one room. Your definition matches the part of the brochure that more specifically states "cannot share with other guests not on your *deluxe* dining plan"

It seems like there should be a little more education for Agents and call center CMs, so that little misunderstandings like this, that turn into big costly misunderstands, aren't being perpetuated
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: