Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #796
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfie928 View Post
I love the old bumpy wooden ones..Mean streak is probably my favorite but blue streak is good cuz it was my first coaster. And I can ride it with my hands up the whole way! Lol!
The wooden ones scare me. Except the Gemini. I love that one.

Whenever I ride Disaster Transport I always hope it will be like Space Mountain and then am always disappointed when it is not. Every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyandphilliesfan View Post
So I wanna make some new friends 36/m from Philadelphia. I am a Yankees and Phillies fan.I know weird combo but there the closest teams to my home.
Tigers are my favorite but I also love the Yankees. Aside from playoff hockey (hockey is my first sports love), one of the coolest sporting events I have been to was the Subway Series. Putting Mets and Yankees fans together in one stadium is craaaaaaazy time.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #797
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Last time I was at Hershey I was 4 and got the flu in the way home! Probably did Storybook Forest too on that same trip....is that still around?!

I am partial to Cedar Point as a thrill park.
I have heard good things about Cedar Point. If I get to go to AllGood this July I plan to visit.

Great Adventure in NJ has some pretty good coasters.
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #798
nurse.darcy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
Pyrate parties are RRRRRRRRRRR rated
ROFLMAO. . .am I required to bring my own RRRRRRRRRUM?
8/2007 - ASMu, 5/2008 - Pop, 8/2008 - POR & BWI, 9/2008 - POFQ, 12/2008 - Offsite, 3/2009 POR, 5/2009 - Pop, 7/2009 AKL. 10/2009 AKV and SSR, 1/2010 Grand California Villas, 2/2010 BLT, 5/2010 BWV, 7/2010 Pop
nurse.darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #799
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse.darcy View Post
Oh and I have something to say. . .CTNurse and TheBigE throw an awesome partay. . .lol (yes I intended to spell it that way). They make it easy to never have to leave the party site (or make it absolutely dangerous to leave the party site without a designated walker, driver, hand holder. . .etc. I had the best time.

Oh, and as for Pyrate Parties. . .I cannot comment as I have never been to one. . .I've only organized WDW and DLP Parties. . .or group meetups, whatever you prefer. . .lol.
Thanks, we have a few more parties in our future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoz View Post
Perfect girl! It's a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse.darcy View Post
Sweet. . .
You guys are going to have fun, there is only one thing missing.

ctnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #800
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
to the group! Always love having new people join in the fun around here.

The Values aren't bad, especially if all you are looking for is a place to sleep at night. Personally though, I tend to think of them as a bit overpriced for what you get... but I'm also a spoiled off-site kinda person.

If you are looking for the least expensive room option onsite for just yourself, the values can't be beat. They can be big, but from what I've seen posted around here, often if you let the front desk know that you are a solo traveler they will sometimes try and get you closer to the main building.

If you want to splurge a little, some of the moderates can also be quite nice. Port Orleans (both sides) are very nice, and often not much more expensive than the values.

As for the Dining plan... You are going to have to crunch the numbers. Personally, I believe it is EXTREMELY hard to get your money's worth on the Disney Dining plans these days. The Podcast even did a segment on it somewhat recently. You will need to look at the cost of the Dining plan you want, and what it includes.... and then you can compare the average cost of a meal (or what you might like to eat) and see if it's even possible for you to break even. You'll also need to figure out if you can really eat as much food as the Dining plan includes. Honestly, I'd probably say pass on the Dining plan. If you want the conveience of the "prepaid meals", just take the $$ you'd spend on the dining plan for your trip, and put it on a disney Gift Card. you'll get the same convenience of the DDP with the flexibility of eating what and when you want..... and possibly even have some extra money left over at the end of the trip for an extra souvenir or two. [If you are a foody however who plans to spend a lot of time eating Tableservice meals around the parks, You might however find the DDP at the apprpriate level worthwhile]

I dunno..... the BigE throws a pretty amazing party that could possibly rival a Party..... It's a close one at least on who's party's are better.

Don't worry about keeping up to speed. For the meets, once they are decided upon I try to keep the first post updated with relavant information. We can move pretty fast at times, and have a form of conversational ADD around here, so if you can't keep up during those spurts it can sometimes just be better to skip to the end and just jump back into things without worrying about missing a few pages of posts.
WOW! thanks for all that information! I was definitely thinking to myself "am I really going to eat ALL that food, for 8 days??" I think I'll skip on it. POR and POFQ were the two moderates I was considering, but I think I read somewhere that the transportation is HORRIBLE. any thoughts?
nosleeptildisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #801
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

i forgot to add

when would the Hershey Park meet up be?

I could probably get down there!

sorry, I am new to this forum thing. Not sure on the appropriate response format.

Last edited by nosleeptildisney; 03-08-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: i dont know what im doing!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #802
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosleeptildisney View Post
WOW! thanks for all that information! I was definitely thinking to myself "am I really going to eat ALL that food, for 8 days??" I think I'll skip on it. POR and POFQ were the two moderates I was considering, but I think I read somewhere that the transportation is HORRIBLE. any thoughts?
From the research I've done, POR/POFQ has some of the best bus transport around. It has one of the faster bus routes to Epcot. You also have the option of taking the boat to DTD which is nice. I think the key is either staying at POFQ which I think only has one stop, or staying near the main bus stop at POR.

It's still bus transport which many will hate on no matter how decent the service is. For me, I'm patient and don't mind the bus. For late night entertainment though, I usually use cabs to get around the Boardwalk and DTD areas

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #803
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:

just to add one thing about the dining plan, since you are going in October, you will probably eat more from the Food and Wine Festival so it's really not cost effective to do it if you don't eat a lot.
Quote:

sorry, I am new to this forum thing. Not sure on the appropriate response format.
the Hershey meet is in July (I believe DCTooTall) just posted the date) but it's a lot of fun, even though there's a lot of walking involved up hill plus, there's chocolate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
From the research I've done, POR/POFQ has some of the best bus transport around. It has one of the faster bus routes to Epcot. You also have the option of taking the boat to DTD which is nice. I think the key is either staying at POFQ which I think only has one stop, or staying near the main bus stop at POR.

It's still bus transport which many will hate on no matter how decent the service is. For me, I'm patient and don't mind the bus. For late night entertainment though, I usually use cabs to get around the Boardwalk and DTD areas
I would have to agree, I stay at POR all the time (less screaming kids) and it's very pretty and the boat ride to DTD is great. I have taken the buses but I tend to drive because I'm impatient and I like being in control. there are 4 stops at POR and one at FQ, if it's not a busy time you can request a room near a bus stop

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #804
tabbytrekker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsides View Post
I don't like the Mantis either. I had my cartilage pierced and when I got off the ride one of the workers was like "YOU EAR!!" and there was blood streaming out of it at the piercing. All the jostling must've knocked my head against the sides too much. No thank you.

I don't think I've been stuck on any rides at CP, thankfully!
Oh gosh, that is awful! Everyone I've talked to has said they hated the Mantis. I can't believe its still in existance!

I don't think I've ever been truly stuck on a roller coaster. At least not to the point where they had to come get us. I might enjoy though being in one of the cars that doesn't make it over Top Thrill Dragster's hill though! It would be fun riding that backwards.

Quote:
I love the old bumpy wooden ones..Mean streak is probably my favorite but blue streak is good cuz it was my first coaster. And I can ride it with my hands up the whole way! Lol!
I definitely love Mean Streak - I'll rank it as my third favorite since it can get a bit rough at times.. And I love the history behind Blue Streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff View Post
I have heard good things about Cedar Point. If I get to go to AllGood this July I plan to visit.

Great Adventure in NJ has some pretty good coasters.
Cedar Point is definitely a place to visit at least once. That was my family's yearly tradition. We use to go every Memorial Day weekend (until we switched to Father's Day weekend). Then dad and I ended up getting season passes when I was a teenager. And of course I worked there one summer so I was in the park practically every day.

I haven't been for a few years. It just started to lose its appeal to me. And I don't really like some of the changes Cedar Fair has done with it. Eventually I'm sure I'll go back.
tabbytrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #805
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:

it took me a while to find this,D C posted this about 5 pages back.....

Ok, since people seem interested in the Hershey park meet, go ahead and mark Saturday, June 29th on your calendars. That is the day of my company picnic at the park, and therefor the day i can get the discounted tickets for. I haven't gotten pricing yet, but normally I can get the discounted tickets for around the $37 range for a one-day ticket good that day. Normal gate price is $58 this year (there will be coupons available locally though closer to the summer season). Once I get information from work regarding the discounted tickets, I'll let everyone know the costs and deadline to let me know so I can order the tickets.

For those with kids, Feel free to bring them too if you want. I can discounted kids tickets as well (cheaper than adult tickets), so just ask if interested. I know Rachel and I will most likely be bringing Gus with us. Be aware though that sometimes the SSC, in person, can easily be a solid PG13 rating in our conversations.

that is how we set the date for the last 2 hersheypark meets

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #806
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post

I feel like since I am used to taking public transportation (NYCer) that crowded buses and wait times will not phase me. I've heard GREAT things about POR/POFQ and it is a top contender. I plan on booking this weekend, so I'll let you guys know what I choose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
just to add one thing about the dining plan, since you are going in October, you will probably eat more from the Food and Wine Festival so it's really not cost effective to do it if you don't eat a lot.
I was thinking the same thing! I imagine my diet will consist of fruit..you know, grapes? okay..fermented grapes. FINE! Wine! lots and lots of wine!

Quote:
the Hershey meet is in July (I believe DCTooTall) just posted the date) but it's a lot of fun, even though there's a lot of walking involved up hill plus, there's chocolate!!
I'll start hitting the gym so I can keep up with you guys!

Quote:
I would have to agree, I stay at POR all the time (less screaming kids) and it's very pretty and the boat ride to DTD is great. I have taken the buses but I tend to drive because I'm impatient and I like being in control. there are 4 stops at POR and one at FQ, if it's not a busy time you can request a room near a bus stop
thanks for the great tip!

Quote:
it took me a while to find this,D C posted this about 5 pages back.....

Ok, since people seem interested in the Hershey park meet, go ahead and mark Saturday, June 29th on your calendars. That is the day of my company picnic at the park, and therefor the day i can get the discounted tickets for. I haven't gotten pricing yet, but normally I can get the discounted tickets for around the $37 range for a one-day ticket good that day. Normal gate price is $58 this year (there will be coupons available locally though closer to the summer season). Once I get information from work regarding the discounted tickets, I'll let everyone know the costs and deadline to let me know so I can order the tickets.

For those with kids, Feel free to bring them too if you want. I can discounted kids tickets as well (cheaper than adult tickets), so just ask if interested. I know Rachel and I will most likely be bringing Gus with us. Be aware though that sometimes the SSC, in person, can easily be a solid PG13 rating in our conversations.

that is how we set the date for the last 2 hersheypark meets
Count me in!! I'm totally in there! Can't wait to meet you guys!!

Last edited by nosleeptildisney; 03-08-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: quoting mistake
Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #807
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

oops!

so I see I did not respond correctly, since my text showed up in the quoted text! sorry guys -_-

i've edited it!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #808
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
so I see I did not respond correctly, since my text showed up in the quoted text! sorry guys -_-
relax, we are a very informal group.. only rule you should be aware of is never take the Pyrate's Rum..LOL

you can hit the gym if you feel the need, but I assure you the Hersheypark meet is a very laid back deal, we collectively decide where to head, splitting up for lunch if need be, or coaster and non coaster people will seperate for a while.
when it gets too hot we take a break to catch a show in an airconditioned theater.

we end the night with dinner and chocolate shopping in chocolate world

we all look forward to meeting you as well.
I just hope I can make it this year. the last week of June and beginning of July often find me being held hostage at work.

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #809
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
honestly, I can't speak on the transportation since I've never stayed there.... and ALWAYS drive even when I stay onsite. I just know the resort since I did once book at POR for a night (But got a surprise upgrade from a standard POR room, to a 2bdrm villa at OKW), and from my research on that and other potential stays there.

Since I HATE HATE HATE the onsite buses and always drive, I never consider the bus's in my transportation equations. (I've taken the buses a few times and just hate how slow/crowded they are compared to driving. Then again, like the Diva... I'm someone who's driven so many times while down there that I don't even consider it an inconvenience, and I tnd to get a car anyways for the freedom. )

Quote:

Don't worry about a proper format. As the mentioned.... we are VERY laid back around here.

As for the Hershey meet... tentative date is 6/29. It may be subject to change however.

Quote:
Count me in!! I'm totally in there! Can't wait to meet you guys!!
Famous last words...

Quote:
relax, we are a very informal group.. only rule you should be aware of is never take the Pyrate's Rum..LOL

you can hit the gym if you feel the need, but I assure you the Hersheypark meet is a very laid back deal, we collectively decide where to head, splitting up for lunch if need be, or coaster and non coaster people will seperate for a while.
when it gets too hot we take a break to catch a show in an airconditioned theater.

we end the night with dinner and chocolate shopping in chocolate world

we all look forward to meeting you as well.
I just hope I can make it this year. the last week of June and beginning of July often find me being held hostage at work.

Seriously... If you hit a gym you'll be in better shape than most of us. I almost consider the walking up and down the hills at Hershey to be the extent of my pre-disney training.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #810
DefLepard
<3 Disney

Quote:
POR and POFQ were the two moderates I was considering, but I think I read somewhere that the transportation is HORRIBLE. any thoughts?
As a POR & POFQ veteran, I can say this about the bus transportation ...

IT IS AWESOME !!!

They share the bus route.... So....

French Quarter has 1 bus stop divided between station A - B , then the bus goes to Riverside Main station South 1, then West 2, North 3, East 4 and then onto your destination... So add 15 min or so if you stay at POFQ for bus times, it is not very crowded on any bus route until the return trip back to the resorts late at night

I always recommend Port Orleans Riverside !!!

River Roost lounge is more of an open space than Scat Cats Lounge at POFQ for relaxing

Food court at POR is tiny bit larger than POFQ & menu is slightly different

Been to both many times and my vote is for Riverside 3 thumbs up

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: