Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #766
Offsides
I enjoy being a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbytrekker View Post
Maverick - by far is my favorite. Second would likely be Raptor. It is really hard to go wrong though with Cedar Point's roller coasters. Except maybe Mantis - I don't really like that one. Oh and Magnum! The ride is fun, but I've seen it stuck so many times on the hill that I'm reluctant to ride it anymore.

I got so spoiled by rides when I worked there.
I don't like the Mantis either. I had my cartilage pierced and when I got off the ride one of the workers was like "YOU EAR!!" and there was blood streaming out of it at the piercing. All the jostling must've knocked my head against the sides too much. No thank you.

I don't think I've been stuck on any rides at CP, thankfully!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #767
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyandphilliesfan View Post
Everyone make St Patty's day plans yet? Were having a surprise 60th for my mom.
I not a huge fan of the packed St Patty bar scene. Since it's a weekend, I'm just having some friends overnight. I've got a few cases of Great lakes Irish Red, and we're watching Game of Thrones Season 2. Not exactly wild and crazy, but I guess it's my twisted idea of a decent time.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #768
peteanddebbie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyandphilliesfan View Post
Everyone make St Patty's day plans yet? Were having a surprise 60th for my mom.
I went to the Belmar (Jersey Shore) parade this past weekend. They always have it a few weeks before St Patty's day. It was a pretty crazy scene. But I had fun!!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #769
taramoz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse.darcy View Post
Tara, I will be there (hopefully with my Son) Saturday through Monday. Maybe we can get a chance to meet up if you have time.
Definetly! We arrive in the evening Saturday, I was just gonna do DTD that evening, then it is park days. Let's plan to meet up, I will be at HS sunday and MK monday, any of those 3 options sound good?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #770
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteanddebbie View Post
I went to the Belmar (Jersey Shore) parade this past weekend. They always have it a few weeks before St Patty's day. It was a pretty crazy scene. But I had fun!!

that's because Jersey throws the best parades/parties!!

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #771
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramoz View Post
Definetly! We arrive in the evening Saturday, I was just gonna do DTD that evening, then it is park days. Let's plan to meet up, I will be at HS sunday and MK monday, any of those 3 options sound good?
Let me get this straight.... You are doing the park with her favorite bar and bartenders on Sunday.... and wondering if it sounds good?

DUH!!!

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #772
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

Which way? What way? That way?

hello one and all,

I am just looking for some friendly Disney advice.

Planning my first solo trip, thinking the second or third week of Oct., 8 days. I have never stayed on Disney property, though have been to WDW my fair share of times!!

I am wondering what are some recommendations on where I stay and if a dining plan would be worth it, since I will be dining alone. I am a little intimidated by the Value resorts, not sure what to expect if I book one of those, any feedback would be great. Looking to spend around 3500-4000 max. for everything.

Thanks!

oh..and if I'm in the wrong thread, please feel free to point me in the right direction! and sorry -_-
nosleeptildisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #773
taramoz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Let me get this straight.... You are doing the park with her favorite bar and bartenders on Sunday.... and wondering if it sounds good?

DUH!!!

YAY, now I just need to hear from her!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #774
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosleeptildisney View Post
hello one and all,

Planning my first solo trip, thinking the second or third week of Oct., 8 days. I have never stayed on Disney property, though have been to WDW my fair share of times!!

I am wondering what are some recommendations on where I stay and if a dining plan would be worth it, since I will be dining alone. I am a little intimidated by the Value resorts, not sure what to expect if I book one of those, any feedback would be great. Looking to spend around 3500-4000 max. for everything.

Thanks!

oh..and if I'm in the wrong thread, please feel free to point me in the right direction! and sorry -_-
Welcome !!! I'll let someone else answer your question , since I stay off property, when in Orlando
However I highly recommend following this thread to see when our WDW meet is, it will be sometime in OCtober, definitely fun, hanging out with the awesome from this thread

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #775
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post

that's because Jersey throws the best parades/parties!!
Actually Pirates throw the best parties, wherever they are

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #776
nosleeptildisney
Earning My Ears

Yes, I did see that! I tried to read through as many pages as possible, but it was too overwhelming!

I hope to keep up here and make some new friends!

Thank you for the warm welcome!
nosleeptildisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #777
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Yes, I did see that! I tried to read through as many pages as possible, but it was too overwhelming!

good luck keeping up, it often gets crazy in here with topics changing faster than the clock.

definitely a good place to make friends, I've met several people at WDW, then
I attended the first WDW meet, and both of the Hersheypark meets, we have a really great group of people here

Oh and once a date is picked for theWDW meet DC will add it to the first page, and keep it updated with who is attending and any other important info

Last edited by MICKEY88; 03-07-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #778
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

DUH!!!

I think we all have meet Darcy at the Tune Inn Lounge.
Quote:
hello one and all,

Thanks!

Welcome. I have never planned a solo trip, but DS and I stayed at POP, and I really liked it. I know that others might have more info about a solo trip.

Please feel free to jump into any conservation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
good luck keeping up, it often gets crazy in here with topics changing faster than the clock.

definitely a good place to make friends, I've met several people at WDW, then
I attended the first WDW meet, and both of the Hersheypark meets, we have a really great group of people here
Very true, there are a lot of awesome people that are on this thread, several I have met and consider friends. There is also none of the drama that you may find on other threads and boards.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #779
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
hello one and all,

Thanks!

to the group! Always love having new people join in the fun around here.

The Values aren't bad, especially if all you are looking for is a place to sleep at night. Personally though, I tend to think of them as a bit overpriced for what you get... but I'm also a spoiled off-site kinda person.

If you are looking for the least expensive room option onsite for just yourself, the values can't be beat. They can be big, but from what I've seen posted around here, often if you let the front desk know that you are a solo traveler they will sometimes try and get you closer to the main building.

If you want to splurge a little, some of the moderates can also be quite nice. Port Orleans (both sides) are very nice, and often not much more expensive than the values.

As for the Dining plan... You are going to have to crunch the numbers. Personally, I believe it is EXTREMELY hard to get your money's worth on the Disney Dining plans these days. The Podcast even did a segment on it somewhat recently. You will need to look at the cost of the Dining plan you want, and what it includes.... and then you can compare the average cost of a meal (or what you might like to eat) and see if it's even possible for you to break even. You'll also need to figure out if you can really eat as much food as the Dining plan includes. Honestly, I'd probably say pass on the Dining plan. If you want the conveience of the "prepaid meals", just take the $$ you'd spend on the dining plan for your trip, and put it on a disney Gift Card. you'll get the same convenience of the DDP with the flexibility of eating what and when you want..... and possibly even have some extra money left over at the end of the trip for an extra souvenir or two. [If you are a foody however who plans to spend a lot of time eating Tableservice meals around the parks, You might however find the DDP at the apprpriate level worthwhile]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
Actually Pirates throw the best parties, wherever they are
I dunno..... the BigE throws a pretty amazing party that could possibly rival a Party..... It's a close one at least on who's party's are better.

Quote:

Don't worry about keeping up to speed. For the meets, once they are decided upon I try to keep the first post updated with relavant information. We can move pretty fast at times, and have a form of conversational ADD around here, so if you can't keep up during those spurts it can sometimes just be better to skip to the end and just jump back into things without worrying about missing a few pages of posts.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #780
MICKEY88
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
:

I dunno..... the BigE throws a pretty amazing party that could possibly rival a Party..... It's a close one at least on who's party's are better.

and when was the last time you attended a Pirate party ?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: