Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #1966
Bluefox
Earning My Ears
 
Bluefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, ga
Posts: 62

And staying at the CONTEMPTorary is one of my bucket list goals!!
__________________
Me (33) DBF (39)
Bluefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #1967
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(
 
pookie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 371

Soo, to DVR or to not DVR, I am moving into my own place, I have a DVR and love it...either I get the DVR or get more channels......what to do what to do!!
__________________
nicole (29)Micah(12)Leah(7)
March 2013 AOA Lion King suite
February 2014 AKL Savannah view bunk bed
pookie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #1968
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(
 
pookie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 371

Soo, to DVR or to not DVR, I am moving into my own place, I have a DVR and love it...either I get the DVR or get more channels......what to do what to do!!
__________________
nicole (29)Micah(12)Leah(7)
March 2013 AOA Lion King suite
February 2014 AKL Savannah view bunk bed
pookie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #1969
TheOptiMystic
Earning My Ears
 
TheOptiMystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie10 View Post
Soo, to DVR or to not DVR, I am moving into my own place, I have a DVR and love it...either I get the DVR or get more channels......what to do what to do!!
Just to complicate your question, I actually am recommending to everyone I know to go with a Roku box. TV on your own time, and you can cut your cable bill significantly. Wish I got commissions on these, because I'm constantly telling people about them! www.roku.com

In lieu of that, I would def go with a DVR if you like to time shift and not be tied down to watching when the shows are actually airing.
TheOptiMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #1970
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(
 
pookie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOptiMystic View Post
Just to complicate your question, I actually am recommending to everyone I know to go with a Roku box. TV on your own time, and you can cut your cable bill significantly. Wish I got commissions on these, because I'm constantly telling people about them! www.roku.com

In lieu of that, I would def go with a DVR if you like to time shift and not be tied down to watching when the shows are actually airing.
I do home daycare, and my nephew insists on watching mickey mouse clubhouse CONSTANTLY, so im worried if its not DVR'd, but if i get the DVR I wont get Disney XD which my 11 yr old loves, and Nick JR which my 6 yr old loves.....its soo hard lol
__________________
nicole (29)Micah(12)Leah(7)
March 2013 AOA Lion King suite
February 2014 AKL Savannah view bunk bed
pookie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #1971
jillyb
DIS Veteran
 
jillyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,390

I second the recommendation for Roku!! I only use an antenna for my TV now but I rarely even watch regular TV anymore. I've got a subscription to Netflix and HuluPlus, which you can stream on your Roku player, and an Amazon Prime Membership. Netflix is $8.55/mo., HuluPlus is $7.00/mo. and the Amazon Prime Membership is $79.00/year. Now compare that to what you're paying a month for cable/satellite with the DVR. What I can't watch on any of these 3, I can usually find on the networks website.

Also, check out http://www.couchtuner.eu/. They have a bazillion shows and they're all FREE! That's where I go when the network website doesn't have a particular show on their site.
__________________
Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century


Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1972
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer
 
DuffGT06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
I second the recommendation for Roku!! I only use an antenna for my TV now but I rarely even watch regular TV anymore. I've got a subscription to Netflix and HuluPlus, which you can stream on your Roku player, and an Amazon Prime Membership. Netflix is $8.55/mo., HuluPlus is $7.00/mo. and the Amazon Prime Membership is $79.00/year. Now compare that to what you're paying a month for cable/satellite with the DVR. What I can't watch on any of these 3, I can usually find on the networks website.

Also, check out http://www.couchtuner.eu/. They have a bazillion shows and they're all FREE! That's where I go when the network website doesn't have a particular show on their site.
Is it possible to stream live sports on Roku? The main reason I have a higher subscription is for ESPN, etc. Thanks!
__________________
WDW 1985, Cabins at FW 1988, Daytrip 2002, Music 2004, Movies 2005, Off-site 2006, Off-site 2007, POP 2007, Off-site 2008, POP Oct 2009, Disneyland June 2010, CS Sept 2010, POP Dec 2011, POP Oct 2012, Disneyland Paris Dec 2012, Sports Oct 2013, POR Dec 2013, POP Feb/Mar 2014, Expedition Everest 5K May 2014, AoA Oct 2014, Enchanted 10K Feb 2015.



DuffGT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1973
TheOptiMystic
Earning My Ears
 
TheOptiMystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffGT06 View Post
Is it possible to stream live sports on Roku? The main reason I have a higher subscription is for ESPN, etc. Thanks!
Yes, it is, actually! That's one of their selling points. They have MLB.TV,
NBA League Pass Broadband, NHL GameCenter, MLS LIVE, and UFC among others. Check out the website. You can see their entire lineup there.

Between free and subscription channels, Roku has over 750 available and they are constantly adding. This product has totally changed the way I watch TV. As a matter of fact, when I recently was offered a deal that gave me TV service from the cable company at just a little more cost, I found I was never watching it. I've gotten so used to watching what I want, when I want, and all in HD, I couldn't go back to flipping through channels.
TheOptiMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #1974
TheOptiMystic
Earning My Ears
 
TheOptiMystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
I second the recommendation for Roku!! I only use an antenna for my TV now but I rarely even watch regular TV anymore. I've got a subscription to Netflix and HuluPlus, which you can stream on your Roku player, and an Amazon Prime Membership. Netflix is $8.55/mo., HuluPlus is $7.00/mo. and the Amazon Prime Membership is $79.00/year. Now compare that to what you're paying a month for cable/satellite with the DVR. What I can't watch on any of these 3, I can usually find on the networks website.

Also, check out http://www.couchtuner.eu/. They have a bazillion shows and they're all FREE! That's where I go when the network website doesn't have a particular show on their site.
I concur! Those are the same three subscriptions I pay for as well. HuluPlus is the real cable-killer, because you have everything from the major networks on demand (except CBS who are the big holdout when it comes to current shows). And I use Amazon Prime for the shipping deals on my orders anyway, so that's a no-brainer too.
TheOptiMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #1975
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer
 
DuffGT06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOptiMystic View Post
Yes, it is, actually! That's one of their selling points. They have MLB.TV,
NBA League Pass Broadband, NHL GameCenter, MLS LIVE, and UFC among others. Check out the website. You can see their entire lineup there.

Between free and subscription channels, Roku has over 750 available and they are constantly adding. This product has totally changed the way I watch TV. As a matter of fact, when I recently was offered a deal that gave me TV service from the cable company at just a little more cost, I found I was never watching it. I've gotten so used to watching what I want, when I want, and all in HD, I couldn't go back to flipping through channels.
Thanks for the feedback! I flipped over to check it out and I think for what I'd want most, college football and basketball, it unfortunately wouldn't be available. I'm going to continue to research though.
__________________
WDW 1985, Cabins at FW 1988, Daytrip 2002, Music 2004, Movies 2005, Off-site 2006, Off-site 2007, POP 2007, Off-site 2008, POP Oct 2009, Disneyland June 2010, CS Sept 2010, POP Dec 2011, POP Oct 2012, Disneyland Paris Dec 2012, Sports Oct 2013, POR Dec 2013, POP Feb/Mar 2014, Expedition Everest 5K May 2014, AoA Oct 2014, Enchanted 10K Feb 2015.



DuffGT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #1976
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie10 View Post
Soo, to DVR or to not DVR, I am moving into my own place, I have a DVR and love it...either I get the DVR or get more channels......what to do what to do!!
Colorado.... So.... Comcast?


I'm thinking.... No DVR. Comcast has so much on-demand now for free that you almost don't need the old DVR anymore for simple time-shifting. MOST shows you can normally find on OnDemand the day after it airs.


Roku and some other options... like building your own DVR... can sometimes work, but you can lose some features or have to put in more work to see everything you want to see. There are pros and cons of every option that will really come down to what your priorities are.

(oh... and Netflix/Hulu/amazon are sometimes also available via your TV, Blu-Ray Player, or Game system's internet connected features. It might be worth looking to see if you already have access to these options via your existing equiptment before you decide to spend extra for a dedicated media box.)



DISCLAIMER: I actually work for a Cable Company, so I'm a bit biased... in part due to my knowledge of how the overall industry works.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #1977
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(
 
pookie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Colorado.... So.... Comcast?


I'm thinking.... No DVR. Comcast has so much on-demand now for free that you almost don't need the old DVR anymore for simple time-shifting. MOST shows you can normally find on OnDemand the day after it airs.


Roku and some other options... like building your own DVR... can sometimes work, but you can lose some features or have to put in more work to see everything you want to see. There are pros and cons of every option that will really come down to what your priorities are.

(oh... and Netflix/Hulu/amazon are sometimes also available via your TV, Blu-Ray Player, or Game system's internet connected features. It might be worth looking to see if you already have access to these options via your existing equiptment before you decide to spend extra for a dedicated media box.)



DISCLAIMER: I actually work for a Cable Company, so I'm a bit biased... in part due to my knowledge of how the overall industry works.

Alright, I signed up for comcast, No DVR but 160 channels, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the on demand service comcast has. My xbox 360 streams netflix, so im good to go! Thanks for the input everyone
__________________
nicole (29)Micah(12)Leah(7)
March 2013 AOA Lion King suite
February 2014 AKL Savannah view bunk bed
pookie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1978
jillyb
DIS Veteran
 
jillyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOptiMystic View Post
I concur! Those are the same three subscriptions I pay for as well. HuluPlus is the real cable-killer, because you have everything from the major networks on demand (except CBS who are the big holdout when it comes to current shows). And I use Amazon Prime for the shipping deals on my orders anyway, so that's a no-brainer too.
This drives me nuts! I watch Blue Bloods, The Good Wife and Person of Interest but to see any missed episodes I have watch on the CBS website (Blue Bloods and The Good Wife only). To watch Person of Interest I have to use the link that I posted in my earlier post.

Have you watched House of Cards on Netflix? That show is awesome! Love Kevin Spacey! I've heard good things about Orange is the New Black but haven't checked it out yet.
__________________
Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century


Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #1979
TheOptiMystic
Earning My Ears
 
TheOptiMystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
This drives me nuts! I watch Blue Bloods, The Good Wife and Person of Interest but to see any missed episodes I have watch on the CBS website (Blue Bloods and The Good Wife only). To watch Person of Interest I have to use the link that I posted in my earlier post.

Have you watched House of Cards on Netflix? That show is awesome! Love Kevin Spacey! I've heard good things about Orange is the New Black but haven't checked it out yet.
Yes, I got into a couple "House of Cards" marathons to get through the series. I got hooked on it from episode one, and kept on watching. I haven't seen "Orange..." yet either, but I've heard good things. I am struggling to get through "Hemlock Grove". I thought I'd like it a lot more than I have so far. I am only four or so episodes in so far, after several weeks.
TheOptiMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #1980
jillyb
DIS Veteran
 
jillyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOptiMystic View Post
Yes, I got into a couple "House of Cards" marathons to get through the series. I got hooked on it from episode one, and kept on watching. I haven't seen "Orange..." yet either, but I've heard good things. I am struggling to get through "Hemlock Grove". I thought I'd like it a lot more than I have so far. I am only four or so episodes in so far, after several weeks.
Just searched "Hemlock Grove"...looks interesting. Do you watch "Mad Men", "The Killing" and "The Americans"? I've watched the first 3 seasons of "Justified" on Amazon Prime. Really good series! The first 3 seasons are free but then you have to pay for Seasons 4 and 5. Boo!

Good grief...sounds like all I do is watch TV! LOL
__________________
Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
Thanksgiving 2010 @ Pop Century


Will We Stay or Will We Go - Thanksgiving Pre Trip/Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413919

It's Going to be a Capitol Vacation! Washington, D.C. August 13-18, 2009 Pre-Trip/Trip Report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post32476006
jillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: