Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
ellie05
DIS Veteran

Beware paying with Disney gift cards

We got back 2 weeks ago and this one the first time we had any problem applying our gc and rewards card to our stay. CBR wouldn't take the rewards cards to pay for part of the package. Also they would only take up to a certain amount in gc.

She said this varies per location . She said if you want to pay with gc or rewards cards you need to do it through reservations before you get there . Unless is a room only reservation.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Just curious, did you ask to speak with a manager?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie05 View Post
We got back 2 weeks ago and this one the first time we had any problem applying our gc and rewards card to our stay. CBR wouldn't take the rewards cards to pay for part of the package. Also they would only take up to a certain amount in gc.

She said this varies per location . She said if you want to pay with gc or rewards cards you need to do it through reservations before you get there . Unless is a room only reservation.
Packages need to be paid for, in their entirety, 45 days or more prior to arrival. Why were you paying for your package upon arrival?

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
ellie05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
Just curious, did you ask to speak with a manager?
Yes this was what the manager told me. I told her we never had this problem including in our January stay and she said no one should have taken the rewards cards at the front desk location to pay for a package. I am not sure if they are now being more strict or what. We had over $900 in rewards which I wasn't going to lose so I went to the store at the resort and bought a gift card. She had no problem applying the $80 in gift cards from DMR. When I came back to the front desk with the gift card she said she would do it this time, but because it is a package she should only be allowed to apply a certain amount in gc.
Of course if I knew it was going to be a problem I would have just done it before we got there.

I just wanted everyone to know to avoid this problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
ellie05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Packages need to be paid for, in their entirety, 45 days or more prior to arrival. Why were you paying for your package upon arrival?
It was paid for 45 days in advance. In the past I never had a problem them putting the money back and applying the new stuff. And it wasn't upon arrival it was the day we were checking out. We thought we would charge back about the amount that we had in rewards but the charges back to the room were less than that.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
It was paid for 45 days in advance. In the past I never had a problem them putting the money back and applying the new stuff. And it wasn't upon arrival it was the day we were checking out. We thought we would charge back about the amount that we had in rewards but the charges back to the room were less than that.
I'm confused by what you mean when you say "In the past I never had a problem them putting the money back and applying the new stuff." Did you pay out of pocket for your package and then expect to be able to apply the gift cards/rewards cards at the resort in order to get part of the package price credited back to your original form of payment?

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So you were trying to refund an amount paid by the 45 day deadline (cash or credit card) and pay for it with your rewards card at the resort? I wouldn't think that would work.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Something sounds off. We have paid for our room with gift cards and reward cards but the payment for the room is not due until we get there. The package is due 45 days before therefore there would be no reason for you to pay with gift cards or rewards cards except for purchases charged to your room.

I'd say the manager is right for not wanting to do it. Especially if you are paying with a card like your Disney Visa than you are getting reward points and have had those points for 45 days by the time you arrive. That means you (general) could be using those points to pay for your package when you arrive.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
chimilady
DIS Veteran

We got back 4 weeks ago and paid for everything, our entire room with gift cards and then charged everything back to the room and applied a few more gift cards at the end of our stay with no problem. We were at POR.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
I'm confused by what you mean when you say "In the past I never had a problem them putting the money back and applying the new stuff." Did you pay out of pocket for your package and then expect to be able to apply the gift cards/rewards cards at the resort in order to get part of the package price credited back to your original form of payment?
That's what it sounds like to me... and I wouldn't expect them to do that for anyone
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Tistal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie05

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie05
But you can call reservation and have them put the money back in your credit card and pay them with the gc.
I think that gives us the full story. If I'm understanding correctly by piecing the two threads together (the only way I could make heads or tails), you paid off your trip 45 days out, arrived at the resort, wanted to retroactively apply your rewards at the desk (by all means correct me if I'm wrong; you're not very clear in your explanation of what happened).

If this is the case, I can't think of any place of business that would be willing to do that.
10/11: PORFQ
12/13: PORFQ
5/14: Rock Your Disney Side whirlwind trip
Tistal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
FWIW, they've already charged everything (that has come through) at that point. If this has a chance at working, go the day before. Apparently they charge in the wee hours of the night before checkout.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Glad that everything worked out ok but I am still a bit confused.

Let me see if I get this straight:

1. You paid for the vacation package on or before 45 days.
2. You received $900 in rewards
3. You went on vacation and charged food and stuff to your room
4. At the end of the vacation you wanted to use the $900 you had in rewards to pay on your room account.

I am not sure why this would be a big deal?? You earned the rewards, not sure why you couldn't use them.
6/1986 - Off-Site; 11/1997 - Polynesian; 12/2001 - All Star Sports; 12/2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 12/2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 7/2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 12/2014 - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033

4. At the end of the vacation you wanted to use the $900 you had in rewards to pay on your room account.

I am not sure why this would be a big deal?? You earned the rewards, not sure why you couldn't use them.
I don't think people I understood it this way at first. Everyone thought she was trying to get a credit for what she had paid and charge in a different way at check in. What you described would work, although as bumbershoot posted, it was probably too late at that point.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post

What she is complaining about is that CBR would not take her gift cards/rewards card to pay off part of the package and thus refund the money onto the credit card she used. I don't think it is really that she is complaining that she wanted to pay on the food and that as she specifically stated the package.

We have stayed at several different resorts and not had a problem with the gift cards being used for the room only or the extras.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: