Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Fort Wilderness cabin - is this crazy?

It's been many years since I stayed at a cabin in FW, so I am looking for feedback.

DH & I are considering a FW cabin for our upcoming (extended) family trip. We have offered to cover hotel costs for the family joining us--our group will me DH & me, MIL, BIL, and BIL's toddler. The main reason we were considering a FW cabin is because I just got a PIN offer, so the rate for our 5 nights would be cheaper than getting two rooms, even in a Value resort. Plus, we like the idea of having a kitchen so we can all buy some food and save a little money by eating a few meals at the cabin. My man concerns are: lack of privacy, and everyone sharing one bathroom (which would probably delay our early mornings efforts to get to the parks). DH & I would take the Murphy bed, the. MIL would take the double Bed in back, and BIL could do top bunk while his toddler should be okay for the bottom bunk.

Just looking for feedback from anyone who has done a full house in the cabin - is only having one bathroom a big issue? Also, how cramped is it once the Murphy bed is out? I've looked at some FW cabin tour videos online, and the living room area looks smaller than I remembered.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Honestly? I wouldn't have that many adults share one bathroom on vacation. If the price difference isn't huge, I would do two rooms at a value resort. If you are determined to stay in a cabin, maybe you can request one that is close to a comfort station, and someone can use that to get ready in the mornings.

Another thought--have you looked to see if the All Star Family Suites are available? You would get 2 bathrooms plus a kitchenette. You could still do simple meals in your room to save a few dollars.
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
turnlisa
DIS Veteran

We were there in June. We would put the Murphy Bed away each morning. You don't want to leave it out since that means that the living room is pretty much unusable. If you don't put it away, housekeeping does.

We didn't have a problem with the one bathroom but then we are used to sharing. It might be different with more adults. I don't think it would be impossible if folks just figured out a system.

We love the cabins and can't wait to go back!

turnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

You can do it. I think saving yourself some money would be worth it.
Since we have three adults and one nearly-adult in our family, we make a one-bathroom work and still get to the parks at opening. Our last trip together was in March at CSR. We just take turns getting up, with the first person (me) starting earlier, and allot enough time for each person in the bathroom.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
elleherself
Mouseketeer

I don't know if an adult grown man would be comfortable on the top bunk of those bunkbeds. I found the bunkbed mattresses probably fine for children, but as an adult woman I was uncomfortable there and opted to share the murphy bed with my sister.

I found the murphy bed very comfortable.
May 2008 (MK and AK - Hilton) ~ October 2008 (Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, DHS, Howl-O-Scream @Busch Gardens, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios - offsite) ~ August 30, 2009 (24th Birthday at DHS! - stayed with family) ~ September 2009 (Epcot and MK - Saratoga Springs and Polynesian) ~ December 2009 (MK, Epcot, AK - offsite) ~ February 2010 (DHS, Epcot, MK - offsite) ~ October 2010 (MK, Epcot F&W, HS, AK, MNSSHP, Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure, Howl-O-Scream @Busch Gardens - FORT WILDERNESS CABIN!) ~ September 2012 (Epcot F&W, ToT 10 miler, MNSSHP, MK - Bonnet Creek)
elleherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
jclos1980
Earning My Ears

There are comfort stations within walking distance that offer bathrooms with showers and laundry, extremely clean! Would alleviate cramped space in the bathrooms. Should also considers renting a cart to get around. It's great to get home late from MK on the boat and hop in your cart and drive to the cabin after a long day walking around.
jclos1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
tobikaye
DIS Veteran

It is not that difficult unless ever adult is the type that takes more than 30 minutes each to get ready in the morning. When I have gone with my parents and sister, we had no problems with sharing 1 bathroom.

Some tips that help:

1. Someone that takes longer might be better showering the night before. This is helpful if someone needs to wash, blow dry & straighten hair. Usually this is me, so I would do that the night before. Then if I still felt like I needed a shower the next morning, I would put on a shower cap and be in and out of the shower in minutes the next morning.

2. Using the mirror in the bedroom for hair and make up. This helped so that when someone came out of the bathroom another person could go in.

3. Knowing what clothes you are already wearing and putting them out the night before. This way you can just grab them as you go into the bathroom for your shower and not waste time trying to figure it out before getting in there.

4. If eating at the cabin, divide up who starts making breakfast while others start to get showered and dressed. This works great if at least one early bird has already gotten up showered and dressed. If just doing items like toast and cereal, then divide up who eats while others get in and out of the bathroom and then rotate throught the morning.

Most mornings, we would still have time to relax and enjoy the morning before we even left the cabin. We usually were at the parks either at opening or just after. Now, I was a little worried this last time we stayed at the Cabins as the prior visits. It had been fifteen years since we had been to WDW together and stayed at the Cabins. So, we were not use to sharing 1 bathroom as most of the other vacation places we stayed had at least 2. So, I had a contingency plan. If we got into a time crunch, I was going to use the golf cart to take my stuff to one of comfort stations and get ready.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do - Walt Disney
tobikaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Keep in mind the golf carts are not cheap to rent. They would add another $63.54 a day to the OP's costs. I'm wondering exactly how much cheaper the cabins were than 2 value rooms. If the OP could rent a golf cart and still come out ahead or not.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Here's some tips:

1. Not everyone needs to shower in the morning. Work out a schedule.
2. There is a sink in the kitchen, so use that for face washing, teeth brushing, etc.
3. Make sure your MIL and BIL are okay sleeping in same room. I'm guessing dad and toddler in double, MIL in bottom bunk?
4. Biggest issue to me would be storage. Small closet, small drawers. You'll have to be organized to avoid messes. Use suitcases, cabinets in bathroom, cabinets in kitchen and the surface of the top bunk. We found that shoes ended up everywhere, be diligent or you'll go crazy!
5.The living area in the cabin is small, just a love seat. So adults have to sit at the kitchen table which can be uncomfortable. I have written to Disney suggesting more comfy chairs around the table because it really got to be a drag after a couple days, especially in the evening when we just wanted to chill out.
6. All-star Music has nice family suites that are around $50 less per night than AofA. You may find that price is just as good as a cabin. The living area is much larger at ASMu, has more comfy furniture than a cabin, and I like the separate kitchen area layout. You can cook microwave food, sandwiches, etc. plus cereal, donuts for breakfast. The gift shop has basic supplies for food too.

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Thanks for all the feedback. We may actually be changing our reservation to multiple rooms at a value because now it looks like we'll have two more family members joining us.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
shocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. We may actually be changing our reservation to multiple rooms at a value because now it looks like we'll have two more family members joining us.
Of course they are...since your picking up the room tab! Don't we have an uncle Larry in common...hmm?

Courage is doing something I'm not any good at. -Me
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
mgb70
Earning My Ears

I would think another bathroom would be good.
mgb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
justgeorgi
Mouseketeer

Go ahead, you will be fine!

I'd suggest your MIL sleeping on the bottom bunk and your BIL and his child sleeping in the bed though just for comfort sake.

You can adjust your schedules so that the bathroom isn't hogged. For instance my husband takes long showers so he switched to night showers so the bathroom wasn't taken up by him in the morning.

We did ALL but one breakfast in the room and all but one dinner in the room. We used a crock pot and made chili, beef stew, pot roast and veggies, even homemade sauce, sausage and meatballs All we had to do was boil spaghetti, lay out dinner rolls and serve the food each night. Took no time at all! It saves the whole family a ton of money and it was nice to have food we were used to with ingredients we controlled.

The best part...the housekeeping staff ran the dishwasher for us each day!!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Consider renting points from a dvc member. You will be amazed at how inexpensive it can really be. We rented a 2 bdrm 2011 at AKV w/ savanah view. This was during peak time, April. It cost a $2300 for 7 nights. It sleeps 9, we had 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, living room, washer/dryer. Can't get much better. BLT rooms are a little smaller but will also have 3 bathrooms in a 2 bdrm. AKV, BLT and OKW will sleep 9. OKW has the largest rooms on property and BLT the smallest. OKW is also the least amount of points and BLT the most. A 1 bdrm at these resorts will sleep 5. Still give you the kitchen, living room and washer dryer. OKW only has 2 bathrooms with a 2 bedroom but has a laundry room in the unit not an apartment style in a closet. The 1 bdrm at OKW has 1 bathroom, BLT and AKB have 2. VWL, BWV, BCV and SSR sleep 8 in a 2 bdrm w/ 2 bathrooms. 4 people in a 1 bdrm w/ 1 bathroom. SSR also has Treehouses that sleep 9 but these can be costly and hard to get. Seriosly though check out the prices for renting before rulling it out.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
bandelierbear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgeorgi
Go ahead, you will be fine!

I'd suggest your MIL sleeping on the bottom bunk and your BIL and his child sleeping in the bed though just for comfort sake.

You can adjust your schedules so that the bathroom isn't hogged. For instance my husband takes long showers so he switched to night showers so the bathroom wasn't taken up by him in the morning.

We did ALL but one breakfast in the room and all but one dinner in the room. We used a crock pot and made chili, beef stew, pot roast and veggies, even homemade sauce, sausage and meatballs All we had to do was boil spaghetti, lay out dinner rolls and serve the food each night. Took no time at all! It saves the whole family a ton of money and it was nice to have food we were used to with ingredients we controlled.

The best part...the housekeeping staff ran the dishwasher for us each day!!!!!

Don't want too many challenges in the kitchen, yet would like to have some tasty meals AND The Crockpot sounds like a Great plan after a long day. Is this Provided in the cabin kitchen supplies or was this yours? As a possible fire hazard, am Surprised housekeeping didn't pull the plug while it cooked all day....
bandelierbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: