Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Please stand clear of my vacation.Por favor manténganse alejado mis vacaciones (1/7)

Welcome aboard the DisBoards Pre Trip Report Monorail System. As you board, please move across your car to make room for everyone! We're on our way to planning a Spring Break 2013 trip to the Walt Disney World resort!

Yes DISers, after nearly a two year break I am back with a new trip report! I have managed to make it to Disney since I wrote my last PTR in October 2010, but most of those trips were fairly last minute. I am so excited to once again have the opportunity to really plan out a trip and have the time to let my excitement grow while counting down the days to arriving in Orlando.

So, who am I? And when is this trip? And when will I stop posing hypothetical questions and actually get on with giving you the details? Well, if you'll watch your head and step (and take small children by the hand), I'll tell you!

June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

[B]August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89

Last edited by arbolita; 10-27-2013 at 01:52 PM.
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Links

The Cast
The Trip Details
We Officially Have Plans!
ADRs Booked
Life Update
Days 1 and 2
Day 3
Days 4, 5, and 6
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

Last edited by arbolita; 01-07-2013 at 09:04 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
arbolita
DIS Veteran

The Cast

Theresa (aka Me!)

The above photo was taken on February 29, 2012 as I was waiting outside the gates of the Magic Kingdom for the park for open for One More Disney Day. And YES, for those of you wondering, I did manage to stay awake and in the park for the entire 24 hours. I made a video of my adventure which you can watch here:One More Disney Day Video

Favorite Park: MGM Studios (which it will always be named in my heart)
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror
Favorite Restaurant: Raglan Road

Other details you need to know about me? I am OBSESSED with two Walt Disney World icons. The first - STACEY!

I love Stacey. I make gifs featuring her and am SO excited to hear that she returned to WDW recently to film new segments for the Must Dos in New Fantasyland!

The second - Gertie the Dinosaur

For reasons I can't explain, seeing Gertie happens to be my most vivid memory from my first trip to Walt Disney World in 1990. I always tear up a little bit the first time I see her while in Walt Disney World, and when people post her picture on Twitter or text it to me while they are in the parks, it's guaranteed to put a smile on my face! Oh Gertie.

Scott (aka my husband)

He's not quite the Disney fanatic that I am, but he does enjoy visiting the Parks for the food, customer service, and to keep me happy

Most of our trips to Disney have been together, including the trip where we got engaged, our honeymoon and for our first anniversary.

Last edited by arbolita; 10-24-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
arbolita
DIS Veteran

The Trip Details

A lot of the specifics of the trip are still up in the air at this point, aside from our dates.

We will be going to Walt Disney World from March 16-20 2013

After having my 3 previous trips take place in 48 hours or less, I'm so excited to be in Orlando for 5 days and to be able to visit all 4 parks during our trip!

As far as where we're staying, that is the big question. Since spring can be such a pricey time to visit WDW, we're currently exploring two potential options.

1) Stay at a Value resort.

I'm not entirely opposed to this, because I do want to stay in every resort eventually, and the only two values I have stayed in are Pop Century and All Star Music. Personally, I'm pretty excited at the prospect of staying in one of the Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation! It probably doesn't come as a surprise though that a Little Mermaid room would NOT be my husband's first choice, haha.

Positives: If a discount code comes out for the time we will be in Disney, either for a room discount or free dining, we will easily be able to apply it to our reservation.
Negatives: During my two stays at Value resorts, noise has always been an issue

2) Rent DVC points and stay in a studio
This is the slightly pricier option, but I was surprised to find out that renting DVC points for certain rooms really is not much more expensive than staying in a value or a moderate. This would be my husband's first choice, but as we are under 5 months out from our trip, the number of points we would need to rent for the available rooms might put the trip out of our budget.

Positives: We've never stayed in a Deluxe level resort, so this would be a more affordable way of doing that. Plus, most of the Deluxe resorts have the best restaurants!
Negatives: When renting points, you have to pay that cost up front, which means we would have to put a lot of money down right away.

Last edited by arbolita; 10-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Joining in!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Joining in!
=D So I went back to check....you were also the first to join back in my October 2010 PTR, haha And then a year later we found each other on Twitter and here you are! Very excited to have you along on this journey with me again =)

Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Jazzabelle508
Live, Laugh, Love and Disney <3 :)

I'm in Love your PTR Title .
Pottermore: GoldThorn119 Twitter Page: Jazzyjen508

Jazzabelle508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzabelle508 View Post
I'm in Love your PTR Title .

Thank you! Unfortunately, I can't claim credit for being creative enough to come up with it on my own, haha. It's from a new shirt which Disney recently started selling in the parks:

I am in LOVE and am hoping to order it and add it to my closet so I can wear it on the flight down.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
Jazzabelle508
Live, Laugh, Love and Disney <3 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post

Thank you! Unfortunately, I can't claim credit for being creative enough to come up with it on my own. It's from a new shirt which Disney recently started selling in the parks:

I am in LOVE and am hoping to order it and add it to my closet so I can wear it on the flight down.
That's AWESOME!!!! Do you think they will still be selling it in the parks in January? If so I am definitely buying it
Pottermore: GoldThorn119 Twitter Page: Jazzyjen508

Jazzabelle508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzabelle508 View Post
That's AWESOME!!!! Do you think they will still be selling it in the parks in January? If so I am definitely buying it
They should be! I believe it just hit the shelves within the past couple weeks, so hopefully it will continue to be around for awhile

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
=D So I went back to check....you were also the first to join back in my October 2010 PTR, haha And then a year later we found each other on Twitter and here you are! Very excited to have you along on this journey with me again =)
Man I am SUCH A CREEPER.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Hey! YAY I am so excited for you! Great start to the TR. I just watched your video TR from OMDD too. I really hope they do that again the next leap day. Though I don't think I would do the full 24 hours without dropping dead. I'd probably go for opening, sleep from like 3 to 6, and then go back all night.

As for the hotel situation, I say rent points. Paying the cost up front is definitely rough, but when you arrive, you'll forget all about that!

If you do stay at a value, I must give my sage value advice. The rooms that they call "Preferred" because they are located near the main pool and food court are often not what one may prefer. The "standard" rooms are always quieter. Like if you request a room at Pop in the 50's section not facing the pool... you will not hear a peep. Though the walls are thin so if you are placed in a room next to a screaming child/couple, good luck. I'd say definitely go with AoA if you choose value, even over my beloved Pop Century. Though really whether you stay at Pop or AoA doesn't matter because they are bookends of each other. The walk is SO short! I mean I knew it was close, but it's less than 5 minutes! I'd just choose AoA because of the Mermaid rooms and tell my husband to deal with it. Also, it's just ridiculously amazing. I went there last week and I almost fell over, it's incredible. And the food court is EXTREMELY well done too. I wish I was eating there right now!

And a note about All Stars... I love the values, and out of the 3 All Stars, Movies is my favorite... but the All Stars are just so far from everything except Animal Kingdom, plus most of the time you have to stop at the other 2 All Stars before leaving/arriving at yours, and it just TAKES SO LONG. So I wouldn't recommend them for you. I vote AoA or renting points! Whew. That was way longer than I expected. LOL.
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Man I am SUCH A CREEPER.
Haha, you're not a creeper, you're dedicated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Hey! YAY I am so excited for you! Great start to the TR. I just watched your video TR from OMDD too. I really hope they do that again the next leap day. Though I don't think I would do the full 24 hours without dropping dead. I'd probably go for opening, sleep from like 3 to 6, and then go back all night.

As for the hotel situation, I say rent points. Paying the cost up front is definitely rough, but when you arrive, you'll forget all about that!

If you do stay at a value, I must give my sage value advice. The rooms that they call "Preferred" because they are located near the main pool and food court are often not what one may prefer. The "standard" rooms are always quieter. Like if you request a room at Pop in the 50's section not facing the pool... you will not hear a peep. Though the walls are thin so if you are placed in a room next to a screaming child/couple, good luck. I'd say definitely go with AoA if you choose value, even over my beloved Pop Century. Though really whether you stay at Pop or AoA doesn't matter because they are bookends of each other. The walk is SO short! I mean I knew it was close, but it's less than 5 minutes! I'd just choose AoA because of the Mermaid rooms and tell my husband to deal with it. Also, it's just ridiculously amazing. I went there last week and I almost fell over, it's incredible. And the food court is EXTREMELY well done too. I wish I was eating there right now!

And a note about All Stars... I love the values, and out of the 3 All Stars, Movies is my favorite... but the All Stars are just so far from everything except Animal Kingdom, plus most of the time you have to stop at the other 2 All Stars before leaving/arriving at yours, and it just TAKES SO LONG. So I wouldn't recommend them for you. I vote AoA or renting points! Whew. That was way longer than I expected. LOL.
Hey! So are you home yet, or still at your friends house? As much fun as I'm sure you had in Disney, if I were you I think I'd be feeling really homesick for my own bed and pillow by now. I am so excited to read your upcoming trip report!

I definitely think they'll do the leap day celebration again - from what I heard from cast members I spoke with that day, the turnout was MUCH larger than they anticipated, especially in Disneyland. As much fun as I had in February, if I did it again I would either just arrive to be in the park overnight, or I would go take a nap in the middle of the day. I felt really ill after it was over from the lack of sleep and excessive amounts of caffeine.

I'm pretty sure I will be booking a hotel room by the end of the week, so I think it's just going to come down to what DVC resorts/rooms are available. If I didn't have to worry about shopping for people for the holidays, I would definitely go for it!

And you're right about the flexible meaning of the word "preferred." We don't typically do any requests about certain areas of a resort where we want to stay, since let's be real, I'M STAYING IN DISNEY and that's the main thing I care about!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Great title, woman. I think that shirt is the best monorail shirt so far!

If you decide to rent points, please let me know how it goes! I've been so curious about that and if it actually ends up saving money. I have no clue but I'd love to know.

If you do stay Value, I'm thinking Scott might warm up to a Little Mermaid room. I haven't looked at any pictures but I've heard it's not a completely girly looking room!

ALSO. I know you stayed at Music for OMMD, and I know that literally everyone says that the All Stars aren't as great as the other values and that they share busses, but speaking as someone who stayed at all three of them in an 18 month span, that is NOT TRUE. The only time I ever shared a bus with another All Star resort was Downtown Disney, and as far as I know that's the norm for DTD busses anyway. AND, even staying at a deluxe doesn't guarantee getting your own bus. (On several occasions while I stayed at BLT, we shared with GF AND Poly. ) Anyways... Movies is a really great choice, but honestly, so is Sports. So anyways, take my word for it! The All Stars are cool. Check my Dec. TR for pics of Sports!

Anyways... I'm here! (Clearly. I just wrote a novel over here.)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in as well! I love your PTR title; I'm a mega monorail fan myself... and I most definitely own the monorail mug that says "Please stand clear of my coffee. Por favor mantangese alejado de mi cafe."

Anyway, I'm just going to throw it out there; if you can manage to afford it, RENT DVC POINTS! It's a nice affordable way to stay Deluxe for way less than what it normally costs! Matt and I have stayed at OKW and Beach Club Villas, and in January we'll be staying at BCV again. Beach Club seriously feels like our second home, that's how much we loved staying there.

DVC gets you sucked in though; we're thinking about possibly buying into it down the line, but we'll see!

I have not rented points but I know if we ever have that as an option, I would definitely rent the points if possible! We're thinking about going again in September of 2013 and renting point is a possibility.

Anyway, awesome start!
danimaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: