Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDisneyfans View Post
So hypothetically speaking, what recourse do you have if there is a schedule change, high wind warnings, hurricane warnings etc. With travel insurance could you cancel and reschedule? Just wondering as I know CC seems to be the big draw for some on a Disney Cruise.
Insurance would not cover if you canceled and re-booked, unless you purchased "Cancel for any reason" coverage. If the bad weather caused you to actually miss the cruise, you would be covered, but not just because you decided you didn't want to go. Your cruise contract states that DCL has the right to change the itinerary at will, especially if it's for the safety of the passengers.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957

You should be ok since hurricane season will be far behind! We have sailed twice in Janurary with no problems. Snow back home but no problems on the cruise.
Well.....not exactly. Our first DCL cruise was on the Wonder in January 2010 and we had horrible weather on CC day and while we were able to dock, nobody could get off the ship and do anything. But let's face it, a day on the ship is still better than a day at the office!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1957 View Post
You should be ok since hurricane season will be far behind! We have sailed twice in Janurary with no problems. Snow back home but no problems on the cruise.
That's what I figured as well, but then carmie3377 mentioned that their trip to CC was canceled in January.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
bolty16
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie
They just made the announcement. Because of the hurricane no CC for us. I would rather a nice safe day at sea than a rainy windy day at CC.
Hi, where did you see the announcement? We're gonna be on the Nov 1 cruise on the Dream and is wondering will CC be cancelled for us too?
bolty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favorite Auntie View Post
They just made the announcement. Because of the hurricane no CC for us. I would rather a nice safe day at sea than a rainy windy day at CC.
You have a WONDERful attitude!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #21
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty16 View Post
Hi, where did you see the announcement? We're gonna be on the Nov 1 cruise on the Dream and is wondering will CC be cancelled for us too?
We are on the Dream cruise sailing today and we received an email from DCL yesterday at 1:30pm notifying us of the itinerary change.

You will never know for sure whether or not your cruise will make Castaway Cay until you get there!

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
dlhvac
THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

We are on the Dream cruise sailing today and we received an email from DCL yesterday at 1:30pm notifying us of the itinerary change.

You will never know for sure whether or not your cruise will make Castaway Cay until you get there!
If there is hurricane damage at castaway all stops at castaway will be cancelled till repairs are made they did this the last time a hurricane hit the bahamas

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

dlhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDisneyfans View Post
So hypothetically speaking, what recourse do you have if there is a schedule change, high wind warnings, hurricane warnings etc. With travel insurance could you cancel and reschedule? Just wondering as I know CC seems to be the big draw for some on a Disney Cruise.
None. The captain has the right to decide whether or not the ship is able to dock. If it can't dock, there's no compensation. Not sure how you could canel or reschedule when they sometimes don't know whether they'll be able to dock or not until the last minute. I also am not sure that travel insurance will cover this as per the cruise contract you are not guaranteed to be able to dock or to visit any specific port, nor will it cover cancelling because you are worried that it might happen.

I was on three cruises that missed CC. The first one was in 2003, ship unable to dock due to winds and high seas. There were screaming people at Guest Services demanding their money back. Not sure if they got it but I imagine they didn't. Didn't see the same behavior on the other two cruises.

I am not sure who wants to stop at CC during a hurricane anyway. I remember reading about when the Magic got stuck there in a wind and rainstorm, and some people were upset because they weren't allowed to get off the ship. How much fun is the place in a storm?

Last edited by TDC Nala; 10-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala

I am not sure who wants to stop at CC during a hurricane anyway. I remember reading about when the Magic got stuck there in a wind and rainstorm, and some people were upset because they weren't allowed to get off the ship. How much fun is the place in a storm?
Not very. We were there when the Magic was still doing 3/4 and it was overcast and windy in Jan. It was like being sandblasted walking along the concrete walkways.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
jones2416
Earning My Ears

We are going out on the 28th on the Dream. We booked a day at Atlantis. If the Ship does not go to Nassau or CC do we still get charged for those booked excursions?
jones2416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty16 View Post
Keep checking the DCL web site for updates. You should also receive an e-mail if there's a change. Assuming you haven't already left home and your computer.

DCL is very quick to "rehab" the island after a major storm. Here's hoping anyway. We're on the Fantasy scheduled to visit CC Nov. 2.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones2416 View Post
We are going out on the 28th on the Dream. We booked a day at Atlantis. If the Ship does not go to Nassau or CC do we still get charged for those booked excursions?
You will not be charged for any excursions you booked through DCL. Privately booked excursions may be another matter. If you booked a private excursion, make sure you know the provider's policy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Winds, any reason the captain thinks it's unsafe to dock at CC, it's cancelled or rescheduled[ on longer trips].
It doesn't only happen during hurricane season. Better to be safe than sorry.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvlprof View Post
Winds, any reason the captain thinks it's unsafe to dock at CC, it's cancelled or rescheduled[ on longer trips].
It doesn't only happen during hurricane season. Better to be safe than sorry.
Yep, we almost couldn't dock on our April 2011 cruise because of the winds. It took the captain three tries to get the Dream docked. And even then, it was windy the whole day and the water was really choppy. All excursions were cancelled because of it.

My DS did not enjoy it at all and my mom ended up taking him back to the ship after just a couple of hours.

Luckily we were doing a B2B and our second visit to CC was perfect. Beautiful weather and calm water. Just night and day from the first visit.

Thank goodness we had a do-over. I can understand the disappointment at having to miss it.
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
jones2416
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You will not be charged for any excursions you booked through DCL. Privately booked excursions may be another matter. If you booked a private excursion, make sure you know the provider's policy.

Nope we are good we booke them all through DCL. If we just spend 4 days at sea I guess there would be worse things. Thanks.. Good Luck everyone.
jones2416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: