Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #46
Epcotopia
Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
I am sorry that there exists a practice that says following a rule is based on whether you'll get caught or not (i.e. enforced). I know it's the way of many in this world, but I'm sorry.
You can be sorry all you want. I am one that will never wear shorts in an MDR. That is my preference.

Again, there is no enforcement of the rule....its not a matter of getting caught or not.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #47
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I wish Disney would enforce their own rules, but they don't.

We were just at the Chip n Dale campfire last week. The man asked all the kids to stay in their seats so that the chipmunks could get to them all. So my son did. When Dale came up, all the kids on the bench jumped down to get to him while the handler was pulling him along. They all got their moment while the handler pulled him right by us, even though we were right there in front of him and my son was sitting waiting patiently. So instead, my crying kid got a lecture about how life isn't fair. He gets that lecture a lot at Disney and it's getting old having to tell it to him. If you are loud, roudy, entitled, etc. you will get attention. If you sit there quietly and behave, plan to be passed over.

I guess since this last episode just happened and resulted in tears, I'm a bit bitter about it.

I don't see why the cruise ship would be any different. They may have rules, but it always seems to me like Disney worries more about upsetting anyone (like the threads where babies are in the pools). I just wish they would enforce things they ask for.

If another cruise ship (mentioned above) enforces things, that gives them a plus in my book.

We will go by the dress code when we cruise because it looks better and it's the right thing to do imo. But I won't judge anyone else who doesn't. If Disney doesn't stick to their policies it's their own fault.
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
syrumani
Earning My Ears

You know, when we go on our cruise in May, we will go by the dress code.

That is not to say I would be upset if someone wore shorts . . . or even a tank top . . . as long as the shorts cover up the cheeks and the tank top actually covers the chest! Nothing can ruin an appetite more than taking a bite, then seeing someone's cheeks hanging out their shorts as they walk by . . .
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #49
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind

My point was I can not understand the uproar over what people wear in the MDR to the extent that it has an adverse affect on their vacation.
As far as abide the rules or not go only DCL can make that happen and I don't see it happening. I'm also not sure where I said I didn't like a rule and I certainly did not use the word "childish" so what is your point?
My point is simply that if someone knows the guidelines, why can they just abide by them. No one is being forced to take a DCL cruise.
If you were to go to the Vatican in shorts and a tank top, they would turn you away. Why? Not because God is embarrassed over shoulders and knees, but that there is just simply things that are appropriate and things that are not.
It is understanding what is appropriate.

The childish thought was because you compared the needing to dress up with something done at a school age. My apologies if I was incorrect
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #50
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
I wish Disney would enforce their own rules, but they don't.

We were just at the Chip n Dale campfire last week. The man asked all the kids to stay in their seats so that the chipmunks could get to them all. So my son did. When Dale came up, all the kids on the bench jumped down to get to him while the handler was pulling him along. They all got their moment while the handler pulled him right by us, even though we were right there in front of him and my son was sitting waiting patiently. So instead, my crying kid got a lecture about how life isn't fair. He gets that lecture a lot at Disney and it's getting old having to tell it to him. If you are loud, roudy, entitled, etc. you will get attention. If you sit there quietly and behave, plan to be passed over.

I guess since this last episode just happened and resulted in tears, I'm a bit bitter about it.

I don't see why the cruise ship would be any different. They may have rules, but it always seems to me like Disney worries more about upsetting anyone (like the threads where babies are in the pools). I just wish they would enforce things they ask for.

If another cruise ship (mentioned above) enforces things, that gives them a plus in my book.

We will go by the dress code when we cruise because it looks better and it's the right thing to do imo. But I won't judge anyone else who doesn't. If Disney doesn't stick to their policies it's their own fault.
Great points!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #51
Rather Be At WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofeverything View Post
Wow! What a buzzkill!! Do you actually enjoy cruising, because from your post it is hard to imagine that you do.

I agree with the previous posters. Disney requests no shorts in the MDRs for dinner. It is a simple matter of common courtesy. If you don't feel like abiding by the guidelines, there are other places to eat on the ship that don't have any dress code at all. I completely disagree with your description of the dining rooms. I think they are lovely and are staffed by very hard working people. I believe it does change the atmosphere in the DR when people come in wearing inappropriate attire.
Yep - agreed!

When I attend a wedding or a funeral, I would certainly be much more comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt and I don't believe there are any "rules"/"guidelines"/"whatever term you want to throw in" about how to dress at one of these events. However, out of RESPECT for the couple, or the departed, and the institution represented by these events, I dress appropriately.

Do I care if others wear shorts? No. But I think the world would be a nicer place if we didn't all have the "rules don't apply to me" mentality.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #52
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Just curious where I fall in the realm of following the rules. I only packed a suit coat the first cruise we went on. During that cruise we noticed that once dinner started many suit coats came off while everyone was eating.

Since then my formal night consists of dress pants, dress shoes, button down short sleeve dress shirt with a tie. We save quite a bit of space by not packing the jacket, that personally I despise wearing anyways. In my opinion I am pretty close to following the rules, just missing the jacket.

Our family follows the guidelines, but could really care less what everyone else dresses like. My thoughts are that as long as everyone is enjoying themselves that is all that matters. Crabby table mates can eat elsewhere.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectfulCruiser

And therein is the point people are trying to explain to you.

You seem to lack the ability to understand how your attitude and presence can affect the atmosphere, ambiance, and feelings of those around you.

You say recommended or suggested not to, and others say you are requested not to.

You say why does it affect you? And others say your attire does, but what ever....?

You say I pay for my vacation, no one else, but you do not consider that others around you have also paid for theirs, and your actions and attitude to what is asked CAN have an adverse effect to their paid for vacation.

Yes it can be "chaotic" but that is due to the percentage of families with children (other lines serve more people in one dining room at once without the noise), but it is not due to the atmosphere that DCL create, just a by product of the demographic) and if more people tried to dress up, and treat the MDR as a restaurant and speak like they are not in a McD's then that would help also!

I've seen you post a lot about this subject so guess you enjoy debating it, but to be honest, I think your attitude is embarrassing to you and rude to others.

That said, you in a Mankini (on the other side of the MDR wouldn't spoil my cruise, but I would stop everyone at my table to point and laugh at you if you passed) and would not feel at all bad to leave the table and ask the HS to be seated with a more polite, respectful party if you showed up in shorts on the first night.
Well said
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #54
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

You know it really isn't about whether it is acceptable or not to wear shorts in the mdr's, it is about giving honor when someone makes a request of you. I try to show respect to anyone who makes a request of me when at all possible, by doing what they ask even if I might find a rule or request rediculous. Some rules we may never understand the need for but unless it would harm us or someone else we should always show kindess and give in to the request even if you are the only one to follow the request. We need to always be a person that shows integrity by doing the right thing, respecting authority, and setting that example to others. This is something my parents taught me and I am trying to teach my children. It is not always easy because I think we all have a rebellious streak in us but I believe you will always be blessed when you put others before yourself.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #55
cw21726
Chillest Fool on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBilynn View Post
And I'm from Texas. We push the limits of tacky. I mean, if we can put a crystal studded cross on an accessory or an article of clothing, we're gonna do it!
That's actually a Dallas thing that the rest of the State can't stand.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #56
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Thanks for all the opinions from all sides...yet again....

Closing it now.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: