Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We prefer to be dressed a bit nicer in the MDR and really appreciate it when our fellow diners make the same effort.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

While it doesn't matter to me either, what someone is wearing in the MDR will not ruin my vacation, I believe it to be considerate to my fellow passengers to follow Disney's suggested dress code. It's not always all about me and I do think of the others around me and will therefore happily take a few minutes of my time to ensure that my children and I follow Disney's very simple dress code for the MDR. If someone else is wearing shorts, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt because their luggage containing their long pants/dresses may have been lost or the items forgotten at home. It happens. I wouldn't want them to miss out on the MDR for the entire cruise because of something like that, when it may have already been upsetting to them because it occurred. And if they are purposefully ignoring the dress code, I doubt my fretting over it will help them gain some manners so it's best to not do so.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBelle View Post
To me it is a request...not a rule. People should dress as they feel appropriate to the requested guidelines on their vacation. It does not make me feel uncomfortable to see others wearing shorts, etc in the MDRs.

Now if it were a rule, I would expect Disney to enforce it, such as they do with Palo/Remy.
Hear, Hear....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
It's what we say at school when parents don't follow the SIMPLE rules of the parking lot "What makes YOU so special that you don't have to follow the rules?"

I'm not going to have a fit or not enjoy my dinner if someone wears shorts. I honestly can really care less, but this is what I imagine would be the basis for the issues people have concerning this. Also, a majority of us on the ships have children. Children we are trying to teach manners to, teach equality and, to a certain extent, teach to follow RULES. When my child sees you or your child "breaking the rules" it makes THEM question why they are not allowed to do such and such and your child is. What should I tell my child is the reason for that kids' parents allowing them to break the rules? (BTW, I'll preface this by saying that I have several friends with children with sensory disorders, so I honestly wouldn't question anyone doing this. I'd simply tell my children not to worry about it. That I'm sure their parents have a good reason like they forgot to pack slacks. Just bringing out the hypothetical)
What makes everyone special is that they are the only ones paying for their vacation.

The only way children would be aware of the dress code is if the parents make it a big deal. If a child has a sensory disorder that causes them anxiety when they witness another person breaking a "rule" then I would hope their parents would be smart enough to limit that child's knowledge of what the "rules" are to those rules that actually mean something and help that child function in society.

Last edited by Wadekind; 10-24-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofeverything View Post
Wow! What a buzzkill!! Do you actually enjoy cruising, because from your post it is hard to imagine that you do.

I agree with the previous posters. Disney requests no shorts in the MDRs for dinner. It is a simple matter of common courtesy. If you don't feel like abiding by the guidelines, there are other places to eat on the ship that don't have any dress code at all. I completely disagree with your description of the dining rooms. I think they are lovely and are staffed by very hard working people. I believe it does change the atmosphere in the DR when people come in wearing inappropriate attire.
No buzzkill. I absolutely love to cruise and my DCL cruises have been some of the best vacations of my life. We dined every night in the MDR and I enjoyed the meals with my family but that does not mean DCL is any more than what it is. The dining rooms are lovely and the staff is hard working but I stand by my assessment of the MDR atmosphere and don't see where clothes can improve or degrade what is already there.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #36
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
It really doesn't matter to me what others wear to dinner. I really enjoy dressing for dinner but do not mind at all if others dress more casual. It's really all about everyone enjoying their cruise.

Do you really want to waste a moment of your precious vacation time with your family worrying about what someone else is wearing?
I agree
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
What makes everyone special is that they are the only ones paying for their vacation.

The only way children would be aware of the dress code is if the parents make it a big deal. If a child has a sensory disorder that causes them anxiety when they witness another person breaking a "rule" then I would hope their parents would be smart enough to limit that child's knowledge of what the "rules" are to those rules that actually mean something and help that child function in society.
I think the OP's point wasn't that 'kids with sensory disorders' freaking out because some other child is wearing shorts.

It looked like she was saying that she would not judge a parent for having a child in the MDR who was wearing shorts because for all she knows maybe that kid has a SPD and pants make them too uncomfortable.

Therefore she would tell her own children who might wonder or complain how come THAT kid is wearing shorts just to worry about themselves and not what the other kid is doing/wearing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #38
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind

Exactly correct. Outside of the fantasy world of DIS, wearing shorts to the MDR is a non-issue. Non-DIS cruisers want to enjoy their cruise as they see fit. It is unfortunate that people are affected by whay others are wearing. I do not remember one instance that I noticed what another cruiser was wearing to cause me to have a negative effect on my cruise. The only thing that matters to me is to enjoy the time on the cruise with my family.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #39
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Where's the "like" button??

And yes, it very much does change the atmosphere of the dining room when everyone or nearly everyone is dressed up... and also when the idiot at the next table couldn't manage to find a shirt with sleeves. They offer up a number of options for people who just don't want to follow the dress code -- it baffles me why those people can't just adhere not to rules -- but to common social norms. You're in a dining room on a beautiful, incredible cruise ship -- not at McDonald's. Learn the difference.

You are right, the ship and dining room are beautiful but the noise and chaos in the dining room is very much like McDonalds. I can not think of a similar dining experience on land other than a wedding reception. I am not saying this is a bad thing. I understand the logistics of feeding that many people. I am saying that the dining experience does not merit all the hand wringing about how the other cruisers are dressed because it is not as upscale as some try to portray it.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post

A sensory disorder would more likely lead to the child not liking certain textures on their skin, so maybe the child would freak in long pants and that's why they are wearing shorts. I'm not sure that a child who freaks out about someone not following the rules would be diagnosed sensory disorder for that quirk alone, I'm sure there is a diagnosis but probably not sensory. My oldest DS has a sensory processing disorder and one of his quirks is that he can't stand wet clothing against his skin, even the tiniest little spill and he starts to freak out. Now, he does love to swim but can't tolerate having his wet suit on very long once he's done. He also has lots of quirks about what he will eat (he's basically a vegetarian) and being boxed in in a large group (hopefully we can get through the lifeboat drill).

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #41
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipsNSnails View Post
A sensory disorder would more likely lead to the child not liking certain textures on their skin, so maybe the child would freak in long pants and that's why they are wearing shorts. I'm not sure that a child who freaks out about someone not following the rules would be diagnosed sensory disorder for that quirk alone, I'm sure there is a diagnosis but probably not sensory. My oldest DS has a sensory processing disorder and one of his quirks is that he can't stand wet clothing against his skin, even the tiniest little spill and he starts to freak out. Now, he does love to swim but can't tolerate having his wet suit on very long once he's done. He also has lots of quirks about what he will eat (he's basically a vegetarian) and being boxed in in a large group (hopefully we can get through the lifeboat drill).
I would ask DCL about an accommodation for the lifeboat drill because it is packed pretty tight. You will definitely be able to tell who forgot deodorant or a toothbrush that morning.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #42
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind
I don't get it. Is this some carry over from grade school where you can't stand to see someone break a rule? Do you really feel there is something morally objectionable when someone is not following some guideline set by a corporation? Are you really that concerned about what others do to let this have an impact on your vacation?

If everyone wore tuxes and ball gowns it would not change the general atmosphere of the MDRs and for what that atmosphere actually is, cut off shorts with a tee top would fit right in. Yes some MDRs are pretty but the dining rooms are no quieter or peaceful than a McDonalds during lunch hour. The servers are literally running sometimes and the atmosphere is loud and chaotic.

The experience is not relaxing, it is not sophisticated and it is not 5 star like some on here pretend it is when they complain about how others are dressing. It is a well coordinated mass feeding program that serves food made with a few above average ingredients in what is basically a nicely decorated hotel conference room. All the fancy linens, china or clothes in the world wont change this.

I have never in my life cared what a stranger was wearing and do not understand the mindset that somehow a strangers clothing choices can have a negative impact on my vacation. I also don't care what some stranger thinks of my clothing choices and I find it amusing that my clothes could make someone have a bad meal.
I guess the reality is that since you don't like the company's "childish" rules, you should be adult enough to abide by them or not go on the cruise.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
Epcotopia
Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time....

There are as many people that are for shorts as there are against shorts.

If Disney is not going to enforce their own rule, why should anyone abide by it?

Despite pages of discussions and arguments, there is no right answer....and no one wins.

Wear what you are comfortable in and have a great time!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epcotopia View Post

If Disney is not going to enforce their own rule, why should anyone abide by it?
I am sorry that there exists a practice that says following a rule is based on whether you'll get caught or not (i.e. enforced). I know it's the way of many in this world, but I'm sorry.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #45
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
I guess the reality is that since you don't like the company's "childish" rules, you should be adult enough to abide by them or not go on the cruise.
My point was I can not understand the uproar over what people wear in the MDR to the extent that it has an adverse affect on their vacation.
As far as abide the rules or not go only DCL can make that happen and I don't see it happening. I'm also not sure where I said I didn't like a rule and I certainly did not use the word "childish" so what is your point?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: