Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

I think it's an issue on the boards and pretty much no where else. And the reason I see is simple: we are (meaning DIS-ers) all' slightly' more interested and involved in planning our vacation than the masses of people who never read these boards. We consider ourselves 'in the know' on all things DCL or Disney. We read the literature, the FAQs... the footnotes et al. The rest of the planet? Not so much.
I am constantly shocked at the number of people who take off on a DCL cruise or to DL or DW and don't ever do research. Will these non-planners show up at dinner in shorts? Likely. Will they care? Probably not. Ignorance is bliss.
Because we plan, plan, plan and read, read, read, we know that the request to wear appropriate dinner wear exists. But chances are the guy next to you at dinner in shorts just showed up at the Port today because that's where his wife told him to be! He doesn't have a clue. No research, no planning. Again- ignorance is bliss.
My advice to those who care so much about the rules? Use it as a 'what not to do' teaching moment for your kids. Then enjoy your dinner. Why spend time worrying about someone else when they clearly are not concerned about you?

I should add: my family consists of 4 very strict rule followers. Punctual, dressed appropriately and using manners. But that doesn't mean I judge those who aren't.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I will preface this by saying that on formal night DH is in a tux, I in a cocktail dress, and DD (who is in the nursery a majority of dinner time) is also in a dress because at the age of 2 we are teaching her to follow rules. On other nights we follow the rules and DH wears slacks and us girls in sundresses. Because it doesn't take more effort to put on pants than shorts. And it is actually easier to pack sundresses. That being said I wish they would just get rid of the dress code. Less than half the people follow it. DCL either needs to enforce it and tell all short wearing cruisers to eat at quick serve or the buffet (which at night is sit down) or get rid of it.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
I don't get it. Is this some carry over from grade school where you can't stand to see someone break a rule? Do you really feel there is something morally objectionable when someone is not following some guideline set by a corporation? Are you really that concerned about what others do to let this have an impact on your vacation?

If everyone wore tuxes and ball gowns it would not change the general atmosphere of the MDRs and for what that atmosphere actually is, cut off shorts with a tee top would fit right in.
I have no problem with what people wear to dinner. That said, I would never wear "cut off shorts with a tee top" to any dinner, no matter the venue. It's just tacky. And I'm from Texas. We push the limits of tacky. I mean, if we can put a crystal studded cross on an accessory or an article of clothing, we're gonna do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
It's what we say at school when parents don't follow the SIMPLE rules of the parking lot "What makes YOU so special that you don't have to follow the rules?"
Amen!

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Went on the Dream last week. One night, pirate night, I forgot to change and wore shorts to AP. I didn't even realize it until after dinner. I was just so relaxed and not a care in the world.

Nobody said a word to me. Nobody cared. I felt bad afterward though.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
ValentineJulie
Mouseketeer

I can't believe people degrade others over a few inches of fabric lol!

Seriously, a nice shirt and a nice pair of shorts looks a whole lot nicer than some of the alternatives I've seen. Putting so much energy into worrying about what others are wearing has to be very tiring! I'm not buying my DS a new wardrobe just to please a few folks. He has a tux for formal night, a pirate costume for pirate night, and he will be wearing nice shorts outfits on the others. He doesn't know what DCL requests, why would I tell him lol?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #21
ScottishDisMam
Mouseketeer

We just got off the fantasy at the weekend, and did wear suits/ties/cocktail dresses - BUT- what a hassle its been as we came over from Scotland and have spent the rest of the vacation at WDW, and used up a good portion of our precious luggage allowance for 1 nights formal wear. In hindsight it wasn't really worth it for a few photos, and the family at the next table didn't dress up at all and it didn't bother us in the slightest because they all looked really close, happy and they weren't wild animals, they had impeccable manners - more so than some of the dressed up kids that ran wild. It does seem to be a bugbear of people on these boards more than anyone else.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

We saw a man wearing shorts and a cut off tank top at dinner on the Dream, so they do not enforce the dress code. We took an NCL cruise and they turned people away from the MDR if they were wearing shorts or flip flops.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Where's the "like" button??

And yes, it very much does change the atmosphere of the dining room when everyone or nearly everyone is dressed up... and also when the idiot at the next table couldn't manage to find a shirt with sleeves. They offer up a number of options for people who just don't want to follow the dress code -- it baffles me why those people can't just adhere not to rules -- but to common social norms. You're in a dining room on a beautiful, incredible cruise ship -- not at McDonald's. Learn the difference.
Well said

If it bothers peoples so much to follow the recommended rules; why is it so hard to eat where wearing shorts and a t-shirt is appropriate.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
FanOfFigment
Mouseketeer

Is it just me, or does it seem like topics about the shorts vs. no-shorts controversy are normally very stridently pro no-shorts? I don't believe I've ever seen a topic here started by someone to complain about how horrible all the people wearing shorts looked. (Of course, I haven't been around here very long and don't read every post...)

FWIW, I don't really care what people choose to wear to dinner as long as it's not somehow offensive; but we enjoy dressing up and getting nice pictures, so we always go all out for formal night and pirate night and never wear shorts to the MDRs. DH even convinced me to wear my dress uniform last cruise for formal night because we brought my parents along. Glad I did--got a great family photo for them to take home with them that they really enjoy!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishDisMam View Post
We just got off the fantasy at the weekend, and did wear suits/ties/cocktail dresses - BUT- what a hassle its been as we came over from Scotland and have spent the rest of the vacation at WDW, and used up a good portion of our precious luggage allowance for 1 nights formal wear. In hindsight it wasn't really worth it for a few photos, and the family at the next table didn't dress up at all and it didn't bother us in the slightest because they all looked really close, happy and they weren't wild animals, they had impeccable manners - more so than some of the dressed up kids that ran wild. It does seem to be a bugbear of people on these boards more than anyone else.

Which is another one of my issues. Packing it and paying for it on an airline. Not only the outfit but also the extra shoes to go with it. Before anyone says I shouldn't go if I can't afford it. I can afford it. I just choose not to throw it away.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer

Maybe this has already been said but I have some really dressy linen shorts that I wear with dress sandals and really dressy tops, much nicer stuff than jeans which are technically allowed, this is what doesn't make sense to me.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #27
JohnathanS
Mouseketeer

I think both sides have valid points to make, and I am always happy to see topics such as this discussed in a civil manner. We do not all think alike, and so there will be differences. That being said, here is my 2 cents:

I follow Disney's requests at the restaurants, though it doesn't bother me in the least when others do not. I don't pay much attention to others, unless they are table-mates. However, as a person who goes to Disney alot and loves to be caught up in the "make-believe atmosphere", I can empathize with those who might come on a cruise and want a formal dinner with a dress code. It adds to the atmosphere and helps create an authentic-feeling experience. Think of it this way: you don't want to walk down Main Street, U.S.A. seeing the backs of the buildings. You don't want to see Space Mountain towering behind the castle. You want to minimize things that "break the spell" of fantasy, if you will. I believe (and I could certainly be wrong) that this might be part of why some would prefer if everyone followed Disney's request.

Why does Disney make it a request rather than a rule? I have a feeling that they realize that it is unrealistic to make such a rule on a cruise line that serves the demographic that Disney serves. So, they make the request, hoping that the majority of passengers follow it, but realizing that not everyone will.

For me, Disney's "request" tactic works. Enough people dress up so that I don't feel out of place doing the same. But for those who find dressing up is not for them, they can still enjoy the magic of the MDRs, as well as the full MDR menus, without participating in the formality.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #28
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'll preface this with "we dress." However, I care far more about the behavior at the next tables (to the extent that it can interfere with my enjoyment of dinner) than I do about what the people are wearing.

Some people can opt to not follow the "suggested dress" and behave totally appropriately. Others can be jerks about dress, how they treat the servers, their noise level in the room, etc. I'd rather have people acting like civilized human beings in shorts than rude obnoxious individuals in formal wear.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Some very good points here, thanks for stating them.

Disney requests you do not wear shorts in the main dining rooms.

Yeap.....This!....Seems they are setting rules for a general hegher class of dress and atomoshere.......not really something hard for any of us to do!

AKK
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
Henlady
DIS Veteran

DH & I always dress "neatly" for the MDR's - DH = slacks and a button front shirt or polo, Me = slacks or skirt and nice top. But that is us, That is what we wear when we go out for supper at home. I don't really care what the other person wears as long as there are not large masses of body hair or naked flesh hanging out all over the place. Once a person is seated at the MDR you can't tell wether they are wearing shorts, slacks, skirt or whatever. What you see is what's "on top". So as long as they look "neat and clean" it doesn't really matter to me.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: