Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Shorts? why do you care so much?

I don't get it. Is this some carry over from grade school where you can't stand to see someone break a rule? Do you really feel there is something morally objectionable when someone is not following some guideline set by a corporation? Are you really that concerned about what others do to let this have an impact on your vacation?

If everyone wore tuxes and ball gowns it would not change the general atmosphere of the MDRs and for what that atmosphere actually is, cut off shorts with a tee top would fit right in. Yes some MDRs are pretty but the dining rooms are no quieter or peaceful than a McDonalds during lunch hour. The servers are literally running sometimes and the atmosphere is loud and chaotic.

The experience is not relaxing, it is not sophisticated and it is not 5 star like some on here pretend it is when they complain about how others are dressing. It is a well coordinated mass feeding program that serves food made with a few above average ingredients in what is basically a nicely decorated hotel conference room. All the fancy linens, china or clothes in the world wont change this.

I have never in my life cared what a stranger was wearing and do not understand the mindset that somehow a strangers clothing choices can have a negative impact on my vacation. I also don't care what some stranger thinks of my clothing choices and I find it amusing that my clothes could make someone have a bad meal.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Some very good points here, thanks for stating them.

Disney requests you do not wear shorts in the main dining rooms.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
bahacca
Mouseketeer

It's what we say at school when parents don't follow the SIMPLE rules of the parking lot "What makes YOU so special that you don't have to follow the rules?"

I'm not going to have a fit or not enjoy my dinner if someone wears shorts. I honestly can really care less, but this is what I imagine would be the basis for the issues people have concerning this. Also, a majority of us on the ships have children. Children we are trying to teach manners to, teach equality and, to a certain extent, teach to follow RULES. When my child sees you or your child "breaking the rules" it makes THEM question why they are not allowed to do such and such and your child is. What should I tell my child is the reason for that kids' parents allowing them to break the rules? (BTW, I'll preface this by saying that I have several friends with children with sensory disorders, so I honestly wouldn't question anyone doing this. I'd simply tell my children not to worry about it. That I'm sure their parents have a good reason like they forgot to pack slacks. Just bringing out the hypothetical)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

That's a good enough reason for me! Note that the request is only for dinner, and not breakfast or lunch.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Sinderelly
Princess

It really doesn't matter to me what others wear to dinner. I really enjoy dressing for dinner but do not mind at all if others dress more casual. It's really all about everyone enjoying their cruise.

Do you really want to waste a moment of your precious vacation time with your family worrying about what someone else is wearing?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
jjones144
Mouseketeer

This whole shorts thing is so funny to me. I never even realized you couldn't wear shorts in the MDR, until I got on these boards. When I told my husband, he said they really have a dress code? We have always had such a nice time at dinner, and have not paid attention , or care less about what other people are wearing. Of course we know we are going to dinner and wouldn't wear a bathing suit or cutoffs. My boys wear collared shirts and Carly shorts and always look nice. I have read so many posts about shorts in the past few days, it is almost comical.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

To me it is a request...not a rule. People should dress as they feel appropriate to the requested guidelines on their vacation. It does not make me feel uncomfortable to see others wearing shorts, etc in the MDRs.

Now if it were a rule, I would expect Disney to enforce it, such as they do with Palo/Remy.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, 11/2014 Celtic Thunder Cruise 2--MSC Divina
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
It's what we say at school when parents don't follow the SIMPLE rules of the parking lot "What makes YOU so special that you don't have to follow the rules?"

Where's the "like" button??

And yes, it very much does change the atmosphere of the dining room when everyone or nearly everyone is dressed up... and also when the idiot at the next table couldn't manage to find a shirt with sleeves. They offer up a number of options for people who just don't want to follow the dress code -- it baffles me why those people can't just adhere not to rules -- but to common social norms. You're in a dining room on a beautiful, incredible cruise ship -- not at McDonald's. Learn the difference.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I just saw it was a REQUEST. Like PP said, if it were a RULE, it should be enforced like at Palo/REmy. Note to self-look up dress code for Palo so DH does't get turned away!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits

Key word being request.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Where's the "like" button??

And yes, it very much does change the atmosphere of the dining room when everyone or nearly everyone is dressed up... and also when the idiot at the next table couldn't manage to find a shirt with sleeves. They offer up a number of options for people who just don't want to follow the dress code -- it baffles me why those people can't just adhere not to rules -- but to common social norms. You're in a dining room on a beautiful, incredible cruise ship -- not at McDonald's. Learn the difference.
Well said!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Key word being request.
"Request" is another word for "ask", as in - DCL ASKS that you not wear shorts in the dining room for dinner.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
I don't get it. Is this some carry over from grade school where you can't stand to see someone break a rule? Do you really feel there is something morally objectionable when someone is not following some guideline set by a corporation? Are you really that concerned about what others do to let this have an impact on your vacation?

If everyone wore tuxes and ball gowns it would not change the general atmosphere of the MDRs and for what that atmosphere actually is, cut off shorts with a tee top would fit right in. Yes some MDRs are pretty but the dining rooms are no quieter or peaceful than a McDonalds during lunch hour. The servers are literally running sometimes and the atmosphere is loud and chaotic.

The experience is not relaxing, it is not sophisticated and it is not 5 star like some on here pretend it is when they complain about how others are dressing. It is a well coordinated mass feeding program that serves food made with a few above average ingredients in what is basically a nicely decorated hotel conference room. All the fancy linens, china or clothes in the world wont change this.

I have never in my life cared what a stranger was wearing and do not understand the mindset that somehow a strangers clothing choices can have a negative impact on my vacation. I also don't care what some stranger thinks of my clothing choices and I find it amusing that my clothes could make someone have a bad meal.
Wow! What a buzzkill!! Do you actually enjoy cruising, because from your post it is hard to imagine that you do.

I agree with the previous posters. Disney requests no shorts in the MDRs for dinner. It is a simple matter of common courtesy. If you don't feel like abiding by the guidelines, there are other places to eat on the ship that don't have any dress code at all. I completely disagree with your description of the dining rooms. I think they are lovely and are staffed by very hard working people. I believe it does change the atmosphere in the DR when people come in wearing inappropriate attire.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Menada1115
Mouseketeer

I agree...it's an atmosphere thing. I really don't care and it's certainly not going to ruin my 'formal' dinner with my family/friends. But, it does add so much to the atmosphere when people adhere to the request.

Me DH DD(16) DS(14) DD(9) DD(3)

09/2005- POP
11/2009- POP
11/2010- Hilton Garden Inn @ Sea World
10/2011- POR
1/2012- POR
12/2012- Disney Cruise
11/2013- Disney Cruise
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

Actually looking at my pre-arrival guide from last month, here is exactly what it says: "Dinner attire is "cruise casual," meaning no shorts, swimwear or tank tops" Does not read like a request, reads like a rule.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: