Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
NateTiff
Earning My Ears

Should I do a split stay?

I have my tripped booked for January at POFQ and am thinking about doing a split stay with POR. For those of you who have done split stays, do you recommend it? Is it too much trouble to pack up and move in the middle of vacation?
I've stayed at POFQ before and loved it! However part of me wants to try something new. Thoughts?
NateTiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
myramsy
Mouseketeer

I have never done a split stay but if I were I would pick 2 completley different resorts. If you are staying at POFQ you can use the ammenities at POR and they are right next to each other. I would choose POFQ and maybe another moderate like CBR for example. I always thought it would be too much hassle to pack in the middle of my vacation...but if others say it isnt any trouble...i may consider a split stay myself sometime.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Fan of Figment
Couldn't imagine life without WDW!

I don't think it's too much trouble, but it will take a little bit of time away from one of your days. I wouldn't do it between POFQ and POR either. Like myramsy said, they are both part of the same complex anyway, and you can use their facilities interchangeably. Are you looking specifically for another moderate? If so, my choice would be CBR. I love the laid back, tropical vibe it has. Beautiful grounds, beaches and hammocks..very relaxed.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Personally, I don't have any desire to pack and unpack again in the middle of my vacation. However, we don't usually spend a lot of time at the resort anyway. As PP mentioned, if I did a split stay I'd probably want to do 2 very different ones, probably a different category of resort.

Others report loving split stays, so I guess it's a personal choice.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
NateTiff
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Figment View Post
I don't think it's too much trouble, but it will take a little bit of time away from one of your days. I wouldn't do it between POFQ and POR either. Like myramsy said, they are both part of the same complex anyway, and you can use their facilities interchangeably. Are you looking specifically for another moderate? If so, my choice would be CBR. I love the laid back, tropical vibe it has. Beautiful grounds, beaches and hammocks..very relaxed.

Yeah, I was looking for another moderate. However, CBR was quite a price increase compared to what I'm getting at POFQ otherwise I would consider that resort. It looks really nice!
Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

It all depends on the length of your stay. I prefer not to split my stays if I'm there for less than 5 nights. In Dec, I spend my first night at AoA (LM room!!!), then five nights at SSR, and my last night with a friend at BWV. I'm traveling solo, so I have only myself to pack for.

there was the one trip, about 2 years ago, that I moved constantly....1 night at Jambo House, then 4 nights at BWV, then my travel buddy went home and I met up with another friend and moved to Kidani for 2 nights with her. Then, 5 nights at Pop for free dining, and finally back to BWV for my last 2 nights. I was always having to stop and remember exactly which bus to get on to get back to my resort!!

But since I've done it so many times, it's no big deal anymore. Just pack up as much as you can the night before you move. Leave out only what you really need for the morning. Then, as soon as you're ready, call and get your bags collected and sent along to the next resort. Then, you can head to a park for a few hours and then take the bus to the next resort and get checked in. You won't get your luggage until about 5pm, so plan accordingly.

If it's important to have your bags with you, take a cab, with your bags, to the next resort. It's quicker and you can have access to your bags.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
NateTiff
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
It all depends on the length of your stay. I prefer not to split my stays if I'm there for less than 5 nights. In Dec, I spend my first night at AoA (LM room!!!), then five nights at SSR, and my last night with a friend at BWV. I'm traveling solo, so I have only myself to pack for.

there was the one trip, about 2 years ago, that I moved constantly....1 night at Jambo House, then 4 nights at BWV, then my travel buddy went home and I met up with another friend and moved to Kidani for 2 nights with her. Then, 5 nights at Pop for free dining, and finally back to BWV for my last 2 nights. I was always having to stop and remember exactly which bus to get on to get back to my resort!!

But since I've done it so many times, it's no big deal anymore. Just pack up as much as you can the night before you move. Leave out only what you really need for the morning. Then, as soon as you're ready, call and get your bags collected and sent along to the next resort. Then, you can head to a park for a few hours and then take the bus to the next resort and get checked in. You won't get your luggage until about 5pm, so plan accordingly.

If it's important to have your bags with you, take a cab, with your bags, to the next resort. It's quicker and you can have access to your bags.
We're doing a 7 night stay.
And I thought I had read that Disney will move your bags for you if you're staying on another Disney property? Is that not right?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Seems to be the case! I just posted a v similar thread if you have a look, loads of good replies in there! I wouldn't split those 2 though as have stayed at both and used facilities at both whilst staying at each one!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTiff View Post
And I thought I had read that Disney will move your bags for you if you're staying on another Disney property? Is that not right?
Correct, Disney will move your luggage for you; however, you may not have access to it for several hours. Therefore if it's important for you to have access to it, take a cab to the next resort and bring your luggage yourself. You can leave it with bell services but access it on request throughout the day until your room is ready. If Disney moves your luggage for you, it could be held at the first resort or the second resort, but you likely won't have access to it until your room is ready at the second resort, which could be late afternoon. And you still need to vacate the first resort room by check-out time that morning. If you plan to spend the day at a park, not a big deal anyway, just take you park/day bag with whatever you expect to need for the day.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
bnk1120
Forget filet and champagne. Give me chicken wings and beer!

I'm a fan of split stays and don't find it wastes too much time. I like being able to try different resorts and make my plans around which resort I'll be at.

I don't think it makes sense to split between POR and POFQ when they share amenities anyway. If it was me I'd split between a value and a deluxe or just stay at one mod.

Counting down to February!

Aulani in August 2015
bnk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
Penguin312
Earning My Ears

We are doing a split stay for our first trip. 10 nights at POR and then splurging for 2 nights at AKL club level. Hopefully it will make for a memorable honeymoon. We are planning on making the switch day a pool day. Just keeping a change a clothes with us and such.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTiff View Post
Yep, they will move it for you. BUT...it isn't a quick process. I always hand off my bags by 7:30am. Then, head to a park until after noontime. I head to the new resort, get checked in and get a bite to eat. My bags have never, ever made it to the new resort before 5pm. One time, the people at POR called over to BC three times before my bags finally arrived!!! They called at 4pm...BC had been 'too busy' to move any bags yet. Then they called again at 5...no reason given for the lack of bags. Finally, after calling them around 5:45, the CM at BC said they would have someone drive the bags over immediately. The poor luggage person at POR refused my tip when he finally brought the bags to my room!!! He said there was no way he was taking a tip for such awful service...even though it was him that did all the legwork getting the bags delivered finally.

So, plan accordingly.

Also, choose two different levels of resorts, or at least two very different themes. Like start with Pop for 3 nights and end with POR for 4 nights. Or POR for 3 nights and CBR for 4 nights. Or Pop for 4 and a deluxe for 3.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: