Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

upgrade question

Hi, I have been doing some searching and figured I would just ask. We are waiting for 2014 dates like everyone else. How do I choose a room that will possibly be "magically" upgraded? Is there a certain cat that ieould need to book under, or deck? Also I'm not to sure on the abbreviations "igt" "vgt" lol all the "gt's"!! Thanks for the input. We are wanting to book 2014 on the fantasy. Prob.2 rooms. 5 of us going. Our family (me+wife+son), and inlaws.
TheHannas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

There is no way to choose a room that is more or less likely to get upgraded. The reason for pixie dust upgrades is usually a real mystery and likely to remain that way. You can put a note on your reservation to NOT be upgraded, if you've chosen a specific room for a specific reason, but no way to get yourself upgraded that anyone has found - or if they have, they're not sharing!

The gty rooms - IGT, OGT, VGT - are "guarantee" rooms. Usually after the paid in full date (75 days out from the cruise), DCL will see how full the ship is and offer special deals to try to fill them. These rooms - (I=inside, O-outside, V-verandah) will get you a spot on the ship at that level or higher. If you book an OGT room, for example, you'll definitely be on that cruise, in an outside stateroom or higher, but not in an inside cabin. The downside to the great price is a lack of flexibility. You MUST pay in full when you book, and you can't request any specifics for your room - fore/aft, higher/lower deck, etc.

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Ok,did more reading and understand gty. But is that "gty room status" something that people search for in hopes of the upgrade? So for instance if I want say deck x, because of the low price, click on it and says gty,then I could get the deck I want or a more desirable one. ?? Depending on amount of people booking due to the low price deck..
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensilverlight View Post
There is no way to choose a room that is more or less likely to get upgraded. The reason for pixie dust upgrades is usually a real mystery and likely to remain that way. You can put a note on your reservation to NOT be upgraded, if you've chosen a specific room for a specific reason, but no way to get yourself upgraded that anyone has found - or if they have, they're not sharing!

The gty rooms - IGT, OGT, VGT - are "guarantee" rooms. Usually after the paid in full date (75 days out from the cruise), DCL will see how full the ship is and offer special deals to try to fill them. These rooms - (I=inside, O-outside, V-verandah) will get you a spot on the ship at that level or higher. If you book an OGT room, for example, you'll definitely be on that cruise, in an outside stateroom or higher, but not in an inside cabin. The downside to the great price is a lack of flexibility. You MUST pay in full when you book, and you can't request any specifics for your room - fore/aft, higher/lower deck, etc.
Thanks for the good info!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHannas View Post
Ok,did more reading and understand gty. But is that "gty room status" something that people search for in hopes of the upgrade? So for instance if I want say deck x, because of the low price, click on it and says gty,then I could get the deck I want or a more desirable one. ?? Depending on amount of people booking due to the low price deck..
Just remember, what DCL thinks is an upgrade might not be the same thing that you think of as an upgrade. Just sayin'.

You should always book the cabin you would be happy with, and then, if you do happen to get upgraded, it's a bonus. Because lots and lots of people never get upgraded.

The IGT, OGT & VGT rates usually do not come out until after the Paid in Full date. So you won't be able to book a 2014 cruise at any of the *GT rates probably for at least a year. The regular GTY guarantee rates (when they start running low on a particular category of cabin) likely won't show up for a while either.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
TheHannas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Just remember, what DCL thinks is an upgrade might not be the same thing that you think of as an upgrade. Just sayin'.

You should always book the cabin you would be happy with, and then, if you do happen to get upgraded, it's a bonus. Because lots and lots of people never get upgraded.

The IGT, OGT & VGT rates usually do not come out until after the Paid in Full date. So you won't be able to book a 2014 cruise at any of the *GT rates probably for at least a year. The regular GTY guarantee rates (when they start running low on a particular category of cabin) likely won't show up for a while either.

Sayhello
yeah good point, not worth waiting imo
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Also, there are GTY rooms that occur after a certain percentage of a category has been booked. You are not able to choose your room and you will get at least that category. This does not mean that you are more likely to be upgraded than someone who booked a room number.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
abitagirl916
Disneymaniac

When I booked my first Disney cruise, I didn't know much about GTY rooms. I went through a travel agent and told them that I wanted an Ocean View room, preferably mid-ship. When my reservation was made, I checked online and was assigned to a particular ocean view stateroom on Deck 2. I was happy with the room to which we were assigned. Two weeks before our cruise, I checked online and my stateroom number was different. I had been upgraded to a Verandah Stateroom on Deck 6. It was a little aft but actually was a great location which we loved. You just never know, but as the PP stated, always book a room you will be happy with, because most people do not get upgraded.
Tammy & Rachel -- 2/2004 AllStar Movies; 4/2006 Pop Century; 10/2007 Disney Magic; 5/2010 AllStar Movies; 6/2011 Disney Dream Double Dip; 9/2012 Shades of Green; 2/2013 AllStar Movies; 10/2013 Disney Fantasy-Western; 9/2014 AllStar Sports; 10/2015 Disney Fantasy-Western
abitagirl916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: