Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
espana94
DIS Veteran

MyWritingJob.com??? Anyone worked with them?

Has anyone done any writing for this website? They keep coming up on my local Craigslist under writing gigs. I'm looking for an honest appraisal of the opportunities for freelance writing that they offer.

Also, if anyone can recommend any other freelance writing sites, I would appreciate it.

TIA! Espana
espana94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

My thought is SCAM!

I did a "whois" search and they only registered the domain name in July of this year, yet on their FAQs they say they have been in business for ten years.

Also, the results of the whois search showed them registered through "domains by proxy" so a search does not give and direct contact information. And their site only gives contact available through e-mail or live chat. So where are they?

And you have no way of knowing what the end user is paying them for your work and how much of that amount that you actually get.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

All that website promises is a list of writing opportunities. My guess is that you could get just as much information by doing a few web searches yourself.

OP - Do you have training, experience or real world contacts in writing? If so, I would pursue that instead of fly-by-night websites. Writing articles for generic websites is a notoriously low-paying endeavor.

I did freelance writing for 20 years. It is not an easy way to make significant money.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
espana94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
All that website promises is a list of writing opportunities. My guess is that you could get just as much information by doing a few web searches yourself.

OP - Do you have training, experience or real world contacts in writing? If so, I would pursue that instead of fly-by-night websites. Writing articles for generic websites is a notoriously low-paying endeavor.

I did freelance writing for 20 years. It is not an easy way to make significant money.
Early in my professional career, I was an Associate Editor for a managment consulting firm. I wrote monthly newsletters for a corporate audience. Prior to that I interned with the United Nations in a communications position and with United Press International. However, this was many moons ago before my career path took a different route. Unfortunately, most of my best writing samples are dated.
espana94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
DisLis
Mouseketeer

I don't know the company you are referring to, but I did find a writing job on Craig's List that is legit. I've worked for them for about a year and have all the work I could possibly want. My work is related directly to my profession - Human Resources. I have some work that is paid by the hour and others by the job. It is not easy and you pay a big chunk in employment taxes, but it serves to pay for a pretty nice Disney vacation. I have a regular job, so this is extra.

Last edited by DisLis; 10-25-2012 at 08:28 PM.
DisLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisLis
I don't know the company you are referring to, but I did find a writing job on Craig's List that is legit. I've worked for them for about a year and have all the work I could possibly want. My work is related directly to my profession - Human Resources. I have some work that is paid by the hour and others by the job. It is not easy and you pay a big chunk in unemployment taxes, but it serves to pay for a pretty nice Disney vacation. I have a regular job, so this is extra.
I assume you mean self-employment taxes? Not unemployment.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

My first thought when I hear "freelance writing" and "Craigslist" is "we'll pay you to write phony reviews using a template". Tread carefully.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
SimplyDavia
Earning My Ears

Location: I have lived in CA, WI, IL, TX & Now call MN my home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post

I'm new here..but I am curious about the same thing.. I found the ad on Craig's List and the ad for My Real Writing Job.com came up and I watched the video and almost grabbed my card and paid for it because it looked liked a legit offer... If anyone knows of legit companies or opportunities, please can you share the details?
Thank You
Davia
@simplydavia@gmaildotcom
SimplyDavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Over the years, I've found a number of great jobs at http://www.freelancewriting.com/news...iting-jobs.php

http://www.freelancewriting.com/free...b-openings.php

http://freelancewrite.about.com/gi/o...freelance.html

I will not pay anyone to find me a freelance writing job. I know there are several other reputable places out there-- like elance. But the 3 above, along with Google, have kept me as busy as I wanted to be over the summers when I'm not teaching.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 12-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I've found excellent and legit jobs on Craigslist. Just follow 2 simple rules: never pay for job leads and stop reading anything that mentions processing payments or western union.

OP if you're interested in freelancing I'd like to suggest looking into Odesk.com. You can find some solid, ongoing projects over there.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Demand Studios. Pay twice a week and reasonable(not great, but reasonable) pay. It's gotten harder to be accepted, you have to keep your score up and a professional background in certain fields-- medical automotive, business, parenting issues, pets-- is often necessary to get hired. But I've worked for them over 3 years and, along with work I do for the Dummies series and some per diem nursing to keep my hand in, I make a decent living.
Textbroker is easier to get into, but pays much less than Demand. However, if you get private clients, some people do quite well there.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
LoveMyBeautifulGift
Mouseketeer

Thanks to OP and PPs...we were just discussing this over the weekend (my cousin is a recent grad and was thinking of freelancing between now and fall, when she will begin teaching), but none of us had any clue where to start looking w/o getting spammed/scammed, lol-off to share info w/ her!
LoveMyBeautifulGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #13
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBeautifulGift View Post
Thanks to OP and PPs...we were just discussing this over the weekend (my cousin is a recent grad and was thinking of freelancing between now and fall, when she will begin teaching), but none of us had any clue where to start looking w/o getting spammed/scammed, lol-off to share info w/ her!
Have your cousin subscribe to this: http://educationwriting.blogspot.com/

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
kellia
DIS Veteran

sub!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
LoveMyBeautifulGift
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post