Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
MarvelPrincess
Earning My Ears

First Time Disney Cruiser With One Million Questions

We will be sailing on the Disney Wonder leaving out of Miami on January 5th 2013. Our ship makes stops at Castaway Cay and Cozumel with two ocean days. I'm basically lost and have no idea what to do now! When will I be able to make a Palo reservation? How do I know what order I will be going to the restaurants in? When do I find out what activities will be happening on the ship so we can plan ahead? Do we have a pirate party? Are their any little Disney secrets I need to know? If you can answer any of these questions that would be awesome! Thanks.

UPDATE: I booked Palo for the three of us who are old enough to attend (My brother will be alone for the evening) and have done my online check in as well as picked a few excursions. January isn't close enough!

Last edited by MarvelPrincess; 10-31-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Update
MarvelPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
lady9
DIS Veteran

Palo reservations can be made 75 days before your cruise if you have paid your cruise in full. I would assume there is a pirate party but don't know for sure on your particular sailing. You will find out your dinner rotation when you on the ship. Your keys to the world card will have the rotation listed. Each night a Navigator will be delivered to your room with the next days' activities listed. Bring a highlighter to highlight the ones you are interested in so you don't miss anything. Shop early for souveniers because sometimes they sell out. Relax and enjoy!!
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

I too am a first time Disney Cruise Line cruiser!! Would love any good info...we will be sailing on the Disney Dream! I went on a Disney Cruise when I was 9, but that was YEARS ago, lol!! And the line was different then.

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
ratt1345
Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

Since you said you were lost, let me explain what Palo is. Palo is an adults only restaurant that is seperate from the 3 main dining rooms. Palo offers brunch and dinner. Both are exceptionally great!!!

Since you are going to Cozumel, you may want to look into the excursions that Disney offers or (if you are adventurous) book something on your own. If you go with what Disney offers, you can book that 75 days in advance of your cruise also.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
SpectroMagic*o*

I think I read Palo only does brunch on cruises that are 4 nites and longer?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

My advice is to read these boards thoroughly as well as the Disney Cruiseline website. There is tons of info out there. Also go to mousesavers.com - they have alot of useful info on their website also. Before our first cruise I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a book with info on DCL. Also, don't "over plan" your cruise. I know, there is tons of stuff to do, but you won't be able to do it all. Good luck!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Did you book on your own or use a travel agent? If you used a travel agent they should be able to help you out.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
SpectroMagic*o*

I used a travel agent...but the reason I use these boards is to get other people's opinions or experiences, not professional opinions. I did read that Palo only does brunch on the 4 or more nite cruises...

So with that said, would you recommend spending the extra money on it?

Also, are there any excursions on the Bahamian cruise that you would recommend?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
holula
DIS Veteran

Palo brunch or dinner is DEFINITELY worth the money. The brunch is only available on sea days and about half the reservations are reserved for booking on board so don't worry if you can't get a reservation.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
SpectroMagic*o*

Oh thats so great to know, thank you!!! I was worried about that, def wanted to do a special dinner one nite because we will be sailing for our 5 year anniversary. We have the choice between Remy and Palo, I liked Palo's menu better and Remy was more expensive!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

We have been on 8 previous cruises but never did Palo before as I enjoy dining as a family with my kids. But since my kids were getting older and I was lookin for something new, I decided my husband and I should try Palos. So on our Alaskan Cruise (#7) We went to Palos one night for dinner. It was absolutely fantastic. There were very few people in the restraunt (probably very untypical) The view was amazing, the service spetacular and the food was superb. Since there were so few diners, the server was very attentive, almost to the point of hovering making us a little uncomfortable but that is really not a complaint. Being on a cruise the first time, I would say not to miss the first 3 dinings as they do a little show which is fun, so I would not go to Palo's until the last night.

Disney Wonder Alaska August 10, 2015
Disney Dream Bahamas July 13, 2014
Disney Magic Galvastan Apr 16, 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas Aug 16,2011
Disney Wonder Alaska June 7, 2011
Disney Magic Baltic Cruise 2010
Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 2008
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Carribbean 2005
Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2004, 2006
jarudinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelPrincess View Post
How do I know what order I will be going to the restaurants in?
Your dining rotation will be on your Key to the World card when you first check in. you won't find this information out until your cruise. No worries though you will get to see all the restraunts. The menu for the night is the same across all restraunts so you will not be missing anything =).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelPrincess View Post
When do I find out what activities will be happening on the ship so we can plan ahead?
You will recive a navigator in your room the night before. In it all the activities for the next day will bw listed. It will have a tv grid like interface and it will list family activities, adult activities, kids club activities, character appearances, shows and much more. You can even get extra copies at the customer service desk if you evryone needs a copy so you can enjoy different activities.

The stateroom doors are magnetic and it helps to have a small whiteboard on the door, so you can leave msgs as to where you/kids will be .. especially as you may change your mind about activities at the last minute.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
SpectroMagic*o*

Thank you for the thorough report! We are going without our kids, so I figured we could definitely squeeze in a romantic nite! We are only doing the 3 nite cruise, so we will have 2 nites for the main dining. Thinking of skipping Animators Palette and going for Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace...any thoughts on that? We are sailing on the Disney Dream.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroMagic*o* View Post
Thank you for the thorough report! We are going without our kids, so I figured we could definitely squeeze in a romantic nite! We are only doing the 3 nite cruise, so we will have 2 nites for the main dining. Thinking of skipping Animators Palette and going for Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace...any thoughts on that? We are sailing on the Disney Dream.
The Royal Palace is actually my least favorite restraunt. I love Animator's it i my faveorit across all the ships, but it is even better on the Dream. The effects there are very cool if you have not seen it before I would not miss it. They have even added some video of Crush the turtle from Nemo where he talks to some of the kids. It is fun for the kids. If you have an early dining seating you can also go to the main dining with your kids and then to Palo later that night. Many times on sea days they have they play the main show during a matinee (2 PM I think, so you can skip the night time show).

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We have the choice between Remy and Palo, I liked Palo's menu better and Remy was more expensive!
Just one cruiser's opinion, but having eaten at Remy and Palo, I will say this. You can find meals like Palo on shore - they will be more expensive to be sure, but they're around.

Unless you live in New York or San Francisco or other large metro areas, you will not find an experience comparable to Remy. If you can afford it, it is absolutely worth it - we just got back from a 7-day Fantasy cruise a few weeks ago (not the Sandy cruise). We had dinner on night 2 at Remy and the champagne brunch on day 6 at Remy - easily two of the top ten dining experiences of my life, and probably top five. My wife and I ate at Palo last year on a shorter cruise on the Dream. Palo was good, but not as memorable as Remy.

Remy is not for everyone - the food and wine are only part of the experience; we were easily at dinner for over 3 hours - my wife and I both did the tasting menu, which comes with 5 courses plus some surprise courses including some of the best cheese I've ever had, and a starter that is a bite of tomato soup inside a crouton that will blow your socks off.

Especially if you are going without kids, I would recommend Remy over Palo if you can afford it. But there are plenty of posts on these boards and elsewhere discussing the two and plenty of opinions out there to look at it. This is just mine - Remy was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had and I'll remember it for a long time.
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: